Join Early Retirement Today

Dipping our Toe into the RV Waters!
Old 09-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dipping our Toe into the RV Waters!

Just finished making reservations to fly to Arkansas to buy our first RV.

It's a Class C, 1992 TravelCraft 29'. It's an oldy but a goody since it is owned by my FIL and has been babied by him for the last 10 years.

We pick it up on Wednesday, September 21 and have to race home to Nevada since we have to be back at work the following Monday.

Neither DH nor I have ever operated an RV so this little trip will be quite the experience. We've set aside a full day to learn the mechanics and practice driving in the AR mountains before we head home. If all goes well, and we enjoy the lifestyle, the next step once we retire is to RV full-time for the first several years of retirement.

And finally, to help remember all of the RV-required activities I bought an iPhone app called RV Checklist which has extensive lists of stuff to turn off, on and stow both before you leave and once you get to a destination...gotta love technology!
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats Lisa! I think you will love it. Will it come stocked with the kitchen supplies and linens already? That is one tip if it doesn't--go ahead and buy one of everything you'll need and leave them packed so it is ready to go all the time. Makes spontaneous trips far easier when all you have to do is pack a cooler and the dog of your choice to take off!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Congrats Lisa! I think you will love it. Will it come stocked with the kitchen supplies and linens already? That is one tip if it doesn't--go ahead and buy one of everything you'll need and leave them packed so it is ready to go all the time. Makes spontaneous trips far easier when all you have to do is pack a cooler and the dog of your choice to take off!
Thanks Sarah! Our HOA doesn't allow RVs so we'll be parking it in a storage facility. But we'll definitely keep everything but food in it for a quick getaway. And if we take one dog, we'll HAVE to take both. They're all about fair and one having to stay home is just not fair!! (Reading Merle's Door at your recommendation confirmed for me that dogs know all about fair and many other emotional concepts)
Old 09-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

One critical thing you need to do is check the age of the tires. If they are more than five years old I would urge you to consider replacing them sooner rather than later. If they are more than six years old I'd strongly suggest replacing them before you attempt the drive home. How to read a tire date code.

Even if the tires are brand new make sure you have towing coverage on your insurance or subscribe to an RV emergency road service like Coach Net.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

REW is right about that--or you'll wind up like we did, heading up to a music festival last month! Blown inside tire. And can I say, AAA-RV Plus not so awesome if you have other choices for road service.

Ah, with only two dogs, you don't have to choose! We've got 6 right now, including 2 fosters. Glad you loved Merle's Door as much as I did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Floydfest2011SM.jpg (606.6 KB, 6 views)

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
One critical thing you need to do is check the age of the tires. If they are more than five years old I would urge you to consider replacing them sooner rather than later. If they are more than six years old I'd strongly suggest replacing them before you attempt the drive home. How to read a tire date code.

Even if the tires are brand new make sure you have towing coverage on your insurance or subscribe to an RV emergency road service like Coach Net.
Thanks for the tips! FIL replaced the tires about three months ago so we're good there. And I'll be adding the RV to our AAA towing insurance.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Do tires have an expiration date? The tires on our Dodge Durango are the original ones from when we bought it 10 years ago. I've never replaced tires for any reason other than wear, and these still have several years worth of tread left on them.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

You will have so much fun! and Sarah is right, it's just like setting up two households.

I’m on my 3rd RV with DH, the first two were class C’s, I find them easy to drive. We now have a class A with two slides to give us more room to take our two dogs.

Great way to see the country, I think you will love it!
Old 09-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
Do tires have an expiration date? The tires on our Dodge Durango are the original ones from when we bought it 10 years ago. I've never replaced tires for any reason other than wear, and these still have several years worth of tread left on them.
RV tires have to be watched. If the RV sits without being driven the rubber can 'rot'.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwoodt View Post
You will have so much fun! and Sarah is right, it's just like setting up two households.

I’m on my 3rd RV with DH, the first two were class C’s, I find them easy to drive. We now have a class A with two slides to give us more room to take our two dogs.

Great way to see the country, I think you will love it!
I think we'll love it too. I introduced the idea of fulltiming to DH last week and at first he was "no way"! I'm working on him though and by the time we get to the retirement date I'll have him there...I SO want to sell all of our stuff, sell the house and just travel for a couple of years. Then when we settle back down, keep it a very simple life with little stuff.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
RV tires have to be watched. If the RV sits without being driven the rubber can 'rot'.
That makes sense. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Personally I don't trust any tire over 6 years old on any vehicle for anything beyond a couple of miles to the grocery store & back. Definitely not at highway speeds, especially if you decide to load the wife, kids, dog, grandma and a trunk full of luggage. Time, sun, ozone, and underinflation - not necessarily in that order - kills tires.

RV tires are even more susceptible to failure due to the loads they carry.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I SO want to sell all of our stuff, sell the house and just travel for a couple of years.
Having done just that for the past 15 months I can unconditionally recommend it. We're having a blast. I'm convinced it is the best way to see North America - and it's so big, you really do need a couple of years to do it justice.

Tell DH to give it a shot. There is nothing that is done that can't be undone if either of you decide you don't like it.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Personally I don't trust any tire over 6 years old for anything beyond a couple of miles to the grocery store & back. Definitely not at highway speeds, especially if you decide to load the wife, kids, dog, grandma and a trunk full of luggage. Time, sun, ozone, and underinflation - not necessarily in that order - kills tires.
Interesting, thanks for making me think about this in a different way.

I'm putting <300 miles/month on my new Prius so I may never "need" new tires based on tread wear but I may need to replace them someday anyway based on the climate that I live in.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Do tires have an expiration date?
No, but they do have a 4 digit code showing the week and year they were manufactured. See the link I posted above.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Having done just that for the past 15 months I can unconditionally recommend it. We're having a blast. I'm convinced it is the best way to see North America - and it's so big, you really do need a couple of years to do it justice.

Tell DH to give it a shot. There is nothing that is done that can't be undone if either of you decide you don't like it.
Absolutely agree! And we will be selling the current house at retirement anyway (it's way too big), so why not give travel a shot. The only issue is DH loves his stuff, so we'll have to rent a small storage facility for his memorabilia, but I'm ok with that.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #17

Quote:

I'm putting <300 miles/month on my new Prius so I may never "need" new tires based on tread wear but I may need to replace them someday anyway based on the climate that I live in.
Yep, most folks wear out tires on their cars and suv's long before they 'age' out. RV's aren't usually driven enough to even come close to wearing out the tread before the ravages of time make them unsafe.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
No, but they do have a 4 digit code showing the week and year they were manufactured. See the link I posted above.
Thanks, I had looked at that link, and that made me wonder about the expiration date. It's something to consider.

Lisa99, congrats on the aquisition and best of luck on your inaugural trip.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yep, most folks wear out tires on their cars and suv's long before they 'age' out. RV's aren't usually driven enough to even come close to wearing out the tread before the ravages of time make them unsafe.

I managed to have tires on my car fail earlier this year due to rot rather than mileage. The car had become a grocery getter/station car that did not get driven more than 2000 miles a year and the tires gave out after 5 and a half years. Still had plenty of tread.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The only issue is DH loves his stuff, so we'll have to rent a small storage facility for his memorabilia, but I'm ok with that.
We struggled with whether to rent a storage facility and keep a bunch of things. We ultimately decided that paying for storage for any length of time was like buying 10-year old stuff all over again. We figured we'd save the rental cost and buy new if that time ever arises.