Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Divorce after 55
Old 03-21-2007, 08:50 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Hmmm...study was done recently that showed that divorce and being fired from a job caused an irreversible and severe impact on ones happiness.
I don't believe this, especially as relates to the irreversible part. Research has shown the people have a happiness set point. They come back pretty quickly after enormous losses like going blind, or becoming paraplegic.

Don't know about you, but I'll take divorce over blindness any day of the week!

ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2007, 08:59 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
I don't believe this, especially as relates to the irreversible part. Research has shown the people have a happiness set point. They come back pretty quickly after enormous losses like going blind, or becoming paraplegic.

Don't know about you, but I'll take divorce over blindness any day of the week!

ha
Some guys got divorced because they were going blind............. (You know what I'm getting at, I assume?)

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:02 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
What would happen if your income at that time was zero (unemployed)?
Not sure, but I suppose there is a merge point for her income and mine (even if zero).
In that case, she would have paid me alimony !
Old 03-22-2007, 09:41 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

When I was going through my divorce, a number of my friends sympathized with my feelings and said they would do the same thing if they could afford it.

I confirmed to them that I could not afford it either. But I was prepared to pay for the opportunity to live happily ever after (well maybe 40 years). That was 12 years ago.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:09 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan
When I was going through my divorce, a number of my friends sympathized with my feelings and said they would do the same thing if they could afford it.

I confirmed to them that I could not afford it either. But I was prepared to pay for the opportunity to live happily ever after (well maybe 40 years). That was 12 years ago.
It's a very tough choice: be miserable with the current spouse and have some money, or divorce the spouse and be poor.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:38 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennevis
It's a very tough choice: be miserable with the current spouse and have some money, or divorce the spouse and be poor.
Perhaps I am just an eternal optimist. I have never divorced but am widowed. I still believe one day I will find another love. Will he have the assets I have? Doubtful. Will he have some? Yes. If we join forces will it be economically better for both? I hope so.

There are lots of equitable financial settlements in divorce. If you squander it, then you may not be a good candidate to connect with a FIRE type. If you conserve and grow it, then you may still find a compatable match in life, love & finances. Every obstacle in life has an upside even though it may be after a dark period. Appreciation does not come from having everything you want when you want it...

Ok, I will jump off my soapbox now!
Old 03-23-2007, 03:51 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie
Appreciation does not come from having everything you want when you want it...
True! It comes from time in the market.

Ha
Old 03-23-2007, 04:43 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
What would happen if your income at that time was zero (unemployed)?
In my state there is something called "imputed income" which is the amount of income you're capable of earning. If your actual income is less than your imputed income, your imputed income will be used to determine child support and alimony. The idea is to prevent a CEO from punishing his or her spouse by working for Burger King and thus generating lower CS payments. In practice if you're unemployed and going through a divorce it can be scary. BTDT.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:46 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Some guys got divorced because they were going blind............. (You know what I'm getting at, I assume?)
Lol all I can say er type w/e!
Old 03-23-2007, 05:24 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennevis
You know we have had to sacrifice compared to the situation before but we have persevered and are now emerging in a much better financial situation. The "we" is because I have found a soulmate. We will move to a lower cost country if necessary but we will not count our happiness based on what we own.

For me, it is an easy choice but at the time it was definitely not!