Join Early Retirement Today

Do I NEED HELP?...or is this normal??...and a THANK YOU!!
Old 06-07-2007, 07:17 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Do I NEED HELP?...or is this normal??...and a THANK YOU!!

When does this "giddy" feeling go away?

I know that I'm only three weeks into the rest of my life but every morning I feel like I've got to be one of the luckiest guys in the WORLD!...and I get that "fuzzy feeling" that you get in the pit of your stomach when you're excited about something....kinda like how I felt when school was out for the summer....or Christmas Eve....ya know??

So I'm assuming that I'm not the 1st to have such feelings....so when does it wear off ...or does it??

I can hear SEVERAL posters replies already ~

"I've only been FIRE'd for 10 years...but I'll let you know when it does wear off!!" (which is what I'm hoping is true )

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .

Thank you to this board for all of your advice and for each of you who have shared your life experiences!

I'm sure that I am not the 1st RE who was influenced by the information/advice/discussion/recommendations given here ~ but I do want to THANK YOU ~ as I am certain that I would not have made my decision to RE without this board and the peace of mind that FIRECALC has given me!!
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2007, 07:38 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't think it wears off but as with most things it wanes. If I'm sitting around the house and not doing much it is at a low. But if I just get outside for a walk or on the deck with a cup of coffee it comes back and I think how lucky I am.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:53 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Dex described it well. The euphoria does gradually fade over a few weeks/months. The big grin on your face when you wake up each morning and realize you no longer have to go to w*ork will slowly decline to a satisfied smile.

In my case, two years after FIRE, that smile doesn't show any sign of going away.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:45 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's like LUV.. When you clear out your desk and walk away, you feel like you're in a whole 'nother universe where anything and everything is possible.

Then you settle down a bit.. reality kicks in, you still have dirty dishes and all that jazz, but it's still great. Like looking over at your DW/DW/partner: the conflagration has died down but the warmth, light and radiance remain.

May peace and prosperity continue to be with you.. you earned it!

Quote:
if I just get outside for a walk or on the deck with a cup of coffee it comes back and I think how lucky I am.
Yep!
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:03 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
May the force stay with you VC! It is funny when people say they could use my experience in their companies. I am flattered then wonder when I will interact with all my friends here and elsewhere. And that ends it.

I loved working, making a difference. I still like making a difference but I get that satisfaction in very different (non-gainful) ways.

Plus there is great merit in stopping and smelling the roses.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Dex described it well. The euphoria does gradually fade over a few weeks/months. The big grin on your face when you wake up each morning and realize you no longer have to go to w*ork will slowly decline to a satisfied smile.
In my case, two years after FIRE, that smile doesn't show any sign of going away.
An exception to that rule for working spouses & school-age children means that you have to hide the grin on certain mornings. You can't really go around the house exclaiming "Thank God it's Monday!" or let them see you loading your longboard into the car. There'll be plenty of time for that after they're out the door.

Five years last week & still smiling... retirement is the best set of Navy orders I've ever had.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:46 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
An exception to that rule for working spouses & school-age children means that you have to hide the grin on certain mornings. You can't really go around the house exclaiming "Thank God it's Monday!" or let them see you loading your longboard into the car. There'll be plenty of time for that after they're out the door.
I actually have both....my DW is several years my junior and still "in love" with her j*b and my youngest is just ending her freshman year in high school....so I DO try to contain my enthusiasm until after their day has begun....

....and yet I am not always successful
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:38 AM   #8

i quit work to escape some depression. i remember looking oddly at people who thought it amazing while they probably thought it odd that i wasn't giddy or gloating. for me it wasn't blowing up an inner tube to head to the beach; it was letting some air out of an over-inflated tired.

then it turned out that i got caught retiring partly on expected proceeds of an inherited house with inheritance coming just after the bubble burst. it is hard to view the inherited house as a bond when all i can see is it costing me between $45k & $75k/year in real & lost opportunity costs.

i know many, maybe even most people get excited just in planning for change but i never get excited until i get there. i'm two years into retirement but still just packing for a plane that hasn't taken off yet. so even though, from the outside, it looks to some like i'm there, for now i'm just satisfied with life as it is. maybe i'll get giddy after i get there.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:30 PM   #9

I just had my one year anniversary on 6/2. I consider myself so fortunate that I was able to take an early retirement and I frequently thank God for my being retired in my prayers! Some days I get caught up in the things that I want to get accomplished today and other days I think, hey I am retired and can just do what I want! What a great feeling.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:47 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I suspect that one might become desensitized after some years of retirement. Possibly replace work worries with new worries.

But considering the alternative of dealing with work hassles and the complications work brings... A red hot spike driven into the brain looks alluring.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:14 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
I suspect that one might become desensitized after some years of retirement. Possibly replace work worries with new worries.

But considering the alternative of dealing with work hassles and the complications work brings... A red hot spike driven into the brain looks alluring.
Ouch!
Worriers will always find something to worry about. Not an ER issue.

But life is full of many things outside of work...