Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-18-2010, 02:32 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Money not the issue but concerned about filling the time.
I think if you try out lots of stuff you will find 3 - 4 hobbies, clubs, volunteer groups etc. that really interest you. My friends and relatives that seem very happy in retirement all have a variety of hobbies and belong to a few social / volunteer groups. Stuff like save the environment, church, Lion's Club, history buff clubs, yacht club, archery, volunteer Boy Scout leader, rock collecting (with lots of field trips), docent work, etc.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

In your shoes, I would jump at the chance to retire a year and a half early. However, everyone is different. I spent years dreaming of the day I would retire, and had all sorts of hobbies/activities/volunteer stuff lined up when that day came (and couldn't wait to spend more time doing them). I retired 8 months ago, at age 54 years, 7 months, and have not regretted it one bit. I'm busy every day (doing things I enjoy), and can't imagine trying to fit "work" back into my life anymore. You only live so long........think about what you really want to do with the time you have left, and go for it.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:24 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I FIREd @ 56 with 30 years in Megacorp. W*rk was NOT my passion, but I was good at what I did, therefore, what I term semi-successful. My plan was to get out @ 30 just because it was a milestone of sorts. No economic or other rationale. I have always enjoyed traveling and have another time consuming hobby or two. That's what I'm doing. Go find your 2 or 3 things.

I wake up when I am refreshed, I go to sleep when I am tired and sleepy. I get around 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night, which I NEVER got when I was w*rking. I did not know how much stress I was under until I had FIREd.

IMHO you should pull the rip cord. Other poster is right ... if you don't do that you are working for a discount.

Best of luck to you.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:05 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HsiaoChu View Post
The moral of this story is: Cultivate hobbies and activities outside of working when you are working, or it will be really hard when you stop finally.
That's golden retirement advice! ER or not!

Audrey
Old 08-25-2010, 01:13 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I had several hobbies I thought I would pursue in retirement. I'm two years into retirement now and one of those hobbies fell by the wayside. I've concluded it was something I did to escape work and I don't need it anymore. I've picked up three new hobbies and still take classes which were wonderful contrasts to the workday over the years.
Yeah - I had several activities that I dropped too after retiring. It turned out that sailing, for example, was a huge stress reliever while working, but when we started traveling a lot, AND I wasn't nearly as stressed, we didn't have time for it, because other things took priority. But when I was working - it was so essential.

And other ideas were dropped because they turned out not complement higher priority hobbies/ideas.

It took us a couple of years to really establish/refine the priorities when it came to how we spent our free time. I think we got some pretty strong clues within the first 6 months, but we were open to experimenting for a while before making deeper commitments to our favorite activities.

My vision of my retired life ended up being quite different than how reality evolved for us. It's a process, and that is a lot of what being retired is - a process where you explore your own life and decide on your own priorities, and you get to focus a lot on what will be most fun/rewarding (rather than other considerations like whether you can earn/save money).

Audrey
Old 08-25-2010, 02:01 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmcfrank View Post
10 Day Weather Forecast for Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam - weather.com HCMC
10 Day Weather Forecast for Phoenix, AZ - weather.com Phoenix
10 Day Weather Forecast for New York, NY - weather.com New York
10 Day Weather Forecast for Tampa, FL - weather.com Tampa Bay

Weather here in HCMC compares favorably to just about anywhere as well as having no winter and very predictable patterns. Florida is without a doubt hotter and more humid than Vietnam and we don't have hurricanes. Come visit me for a while and see for yourself, it's not the developed world sure, but that's a GOOD point
It's been years since I've been to HCM or Vietnam in general - too long although I am pushing for one of our regional conferences to be be in Hanoi later this year. I still have fond memories of the food and some paintings.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:05 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
Wouldn't it be the same question at age 59 or at age 65? If you're not worried financially, seems like the question is do you want to retire at all or keep working. If you were seriously planning to jump at 59, then you may as well do it now if you have a good opportunity.

+ 1

One of the factors motivating me is the knowledge that some of the things I want to do will become more difficult as I get older and my body starts to continues to decay.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #28
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks for all the replies. I have decided to retire effective at the end of the year. There will certainly be no love lost for the day to day monotony of some of the work, internal politics, performance reviews; aspiration/vision and values/mission statements etc; change management; cultural leadership, diversity workshops etc. I am actually grinning widely at the thought of retirement. I do have some hobbies and activities that will fill up parts of my days and have already made contact to do some volunteer work down the road. I live inside the city of Washington so there is also a lot going on culturally if I choose to avail myself of them. And I will probably want read books now that i have the time and don't have to spend most of my work day reading or working on the computer.

My wife is happy for me and supportive. She will continure to work at a job she loves three days a week for a few more years which I think is probably for the best - altho financially not necessary . My 17 year old son a little less supportive. I told him I will now have the same time as him to master the X-box - just kidding. But he is off to college next year

I may check in from time to time for advice, support and ideas. Jack
Old 08-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmcfrank View Post
Weather here in HCMC compares favorably to just about anywhere as well as having no winter and very predictable patterns.
- Hot and dry.
- Hot and wet.

Yes, spent a year there during my government sponsored "vacation" in 1968-69, so I have a firsthand knowledge of the weather ...

No thanks ...