Join Early Retirement Today

Do I stay or do I go?
Old 08-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Do I stay or do I go?

Always wanted to retire at 59. Now have the opportunity to do so at 57.5 with full bridging for full retirement. Moneynot the issue but concerned about filling the time. Don't have a great plan-but lots of ideas. How concerned shou;d I be and how did yall do it?// JACK
Sullidc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Here are 20+ threads discussing how to successfully manage your own entertainment until the grim reaper calls...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...day-30655.html
Old 08-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Here are 20+ threads discussing how to successfully manage your own entertainment until the grim reaper calls...
Welcome! Yup, as REWahoo pointed out, this is a frequent topic of discussion round these parts. Here's something to listen to while you're perusing the 20+ treads on this subject....

Old 08-15-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's really as simple as doing what you have always wanted to do. Follow your dreams, do the things you always wished you had the time for, the things you used to catch yourself daydreaming about. This is your time and there is a world to explore and discover. Go do it in your own unique way.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:40 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullidc View Post
Always wanted to retire at 59. Now have the opportunity to do so at 57.5 with full bridging for full retirement. Moneynot the issue but concerned about filling the time. Don't have a great plan-but lots of ideas. How concerned shou;d I be and how did yall do it?// JACK
Wouldn't it be the same question at age 59 or at age 65? If you're not worried financially, seems like the question is do you want to retire at all or keep working. If you were seriously planning to jump at 59, then you may as well do it now if you have a good opportunity.
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:53 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Seize the day! This opportunity may disappear.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:02 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

You won't feel any different if you wait another 18 months. If you go now just view it as practice for the long planned real thing.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't forget, now that you can retire with bridging funds, if you stay and work there, you'll be working for the difference between the salary and the retirement. If you feel you must work, retire and get a job at another company.
HpRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Take this job and shove it
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:24 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Today is Monday; what did you do today?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:44 PM   #11

I'd say get the heck out and see the world. Move to Vietnam where I live or someplace off the grid. It's a big globe we're on..
hcmcfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:42 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd say get out, find something you love to do, and go do it. I would not, however, do it in HCMC, Vietnam. I really don't like it there. Wayyyy tooooo hot and humid, and still much too 3rd world, but to each his own.

R
Old 08-18-2010, 02:42 AM   #13

Weather in Saigon

10 Day Weather Forecast for Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam - weather.com HCMC
10 Day Weather Forecast for Phoenix, AZ - weather.com Phoenix
10 Day Weather Forecast for New York, NY - weather.com New York
10 Day Weather Forecast for Tampa, FL - weather.com Tampa Bay

Weather here in HCMC compares favorably to just about anywhere as well as having no winter and very predictable patterns. Florida is without a doubt hotter and more humid than Vietnam and we don't have hurricanes. Come visit me for a while and see for yourself, it's not the developed world sure, but that's a GOOD point
hcmcfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:20 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd have no problem pulling the rip cord, but if you're seriously worried about it, you could always take a week "staycation" at home and see if you're ready. (Though it would likely take far longer than a week to get acclimated to being retired.)
Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:39 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
It's really as simple as doing what you have always wanted to do. Follow your dreams, do the things you always wished you had the time for, the things you used to catch yourself daydreaming about. This is your time and there is a world to explore and discover. Go do it in your own unique way.
My FIL, had a terrible time in his retirement years. During his long work years, he had no hobbies, nothing outside of his 12 hours work days for several famous banks. In retirement, he had a fabulous income, that he started receiving in 1985, which is $30,000 more a year than I actually make in 2010. But he didn't have a clue what to do. He just sat around.

My Dad had lots of hobbies and love to travel. He was actually busier in retirement than he was during his workaholic years. But he did it all when he wanted to do it. He did all his hobbies, traveled a lot, made us all watch his endless slide shows of his trips, refinished funiture, played viola in the local orchestra, and on and on.

The moral of this story is: Cultivate hobbies and activities outside of working when you are working, or it will be really hard when you stop finally.
HsiaoChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:41 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
I'd have no problem pulling the rip cord, but if you're seriously worried about it, you could always take a week "staycation" at home and see if you're ready. (Though it would likely take far longer than a week to get acclimated to being retired.)
A week is just a vacation. You need to take 9 weeks and see if you have enough to do. I have seasonal employment, so I've been renovating my house for the past 9 weeks at about 5-6 hours a day.
HsiaoChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:10 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HsiaoChu View Post

The moral of this story is: Cultivate hobbies and activities outside of working when you are working, or it will be really hard when you stop finally.
I had several hobbies I thought I would pursue in retirement. I'm two years into retirement now and one of those hobbies fell by the wayside. I've concluded it was something I did to escape work and I don't need it anymore. I've picked up three new hobbies and still take classes which were wonderful contrasts to the workday over the years.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Old 08-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Old 08-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You have always wanted to retire at 59. Just because you now have the opportunity to go 1.5 years ahead of your schedule does not mean that you should do so.

Your post doesn't suggest that you hate your job. Apparently there are no other activities upon which you would rather spend your time. So you might as well stay put.

You can use the next 18 months to plan what you will do in retirement, and you'll probably enjoy retirement more than if you fall into it prematurely.