Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I've been using Facebook for about three months now. The only reason I care is because it's a way to keep in touch with my daughter, and by far the best marketing tool for the book.

Once I had my daughter show me the ropes, I learned a few things:
- If you want to keep in touch with your progeny's progress (or lack thereof) you better ask them nicely to "friend" you so that you can read their wall. Otherwise you'll probably never hear from them again (unless they need money).
- With one exception, now I know why I haven't kept in touch with my high-school classmates.
- I don't know about you other Facebook public figures, but I'm getting a significant number of "friends" requests from busty comely young lasses who apparently have nothing better to do than photograph themselves naked. I guess it's a different sort of public exposure but they seem to be attracting a crowd of military, er, "friends" who might also be interested in buying the book. I just have to figure out a way to make this cross-marketing work for all of us.

When I'm done with vicariously enjoying my daughter's life and no longer marketing things on Facebook, then I'll probably stop using the account.
If you're getting friend requests from naked women, you probably don't have your privacy controls set to where only your friends can see your info.

Gee, maybe I should try getting same from naked men...?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
If you're getting friend requests from naked women, you probably don't have your privacy controls set to where only your friends can see your info.

I'm going to quote this little gem so you can't go back and delete it once you sober up have second thoughts...
Old 01-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Damn, I've had not a single naked man try to befriend me on Facebook. Rats!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

i havent come out of my ER closet... i would opt out of any facebook participation even though i have a seldom used facebook account for privacy reasons
nphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

I tried FB for about a week last year. I thought it was a huge waste of time and quickly deleted my account. I have no desire to reconnect with anyone from high school or college. In high school, I disliked just about everyone and keep in very occasional touch with two people I was friends with. In college, I have been happy to fall out of touch with the few people I kept in touch with over the years.

I don't stay in regular contact with most of my relatives, as they live far away and nearly all got married and had kids, neither of which I have done or ever plan to. I surely don't want to be inundated with progress reports on their kids. I see my one brother's one kid once a year and that is plenty for me.

Only one former coworker I stay in touch with since I ERed 2 years ago, but not very often. A few others I email once in a while which is plenty for me.

My friends, including my ladyfriend, and hobbies are local and require face-to-face gatherings. I do phone, email, and IM them as needed.

Call me a holdout or antisocial, but I have no use for FB. If you are not part of my life already, I don't want you trying to find me, and I won't be trying to find you!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #66
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Check your PM...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #67

Quote:
Aha, not just me...
Old 01-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, that's the whole point of marketing the book.

I mean not setting the privacy controls. Although there has to be a way that the naked women could market the book too.

Quote:
It's a good thing that you're a moderator, and that vBulletin doesn't let posters attach photos to their PMs.

Or from your perspective, perhaps it's a bad thing!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #69

I will confess. After resisting Farmville, my cousin and a cousin of hers (a complicated family relationship) went to work for Zynga and her cousin developed Frontierville - so it became a family thing to try the game. Now I'm unfortunately addicted.

For the non-FB people, these are games played via facebook, quite complex and interactive actually. Frontierville is pretty dumb looking but damn, I've expanded my homestead and have lots of buildings and crops and animals and "stuff"... as you see, addicted. It is fun - at least right now, for me.

Feel free to make fun of me....
Old 01-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I will confess.
To paraphrase a famous quote, "This thread is worthless without secret cheat codes"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:27 AM   #71
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hello thinker25 - we are in the same boat.

Quote:
I'm public, I have a public presence through various things I've done. So I am private as much as possible. Possibly a contradiction but I try...
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:57 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I will confess. After resisting Farmville, my cousin and a cousin of hers (a complicated family relationship) went to work for Zynga and her cousin developed Frontierville - so it became a family thing to try the game. Now I'm unfortunately addicted.

For the non-FB people, these are games played via facebook, quite complex and interactive actually. Frontierville is pretty dumb looking but damn, I've expanded my homestead and have lots of buildings and crops and animals and "stuff"... as you see, addicted. It is fun - at least right now, for me.

I love games and hate facebook games, cause they aren't fun, just a huge waste of time. I am still looking forward to the first fun FB game. Obviously tens of millions disagree.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:21 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Okay! Nah, actually, I just don't like games of any kind: interpersonal, computer, board, card, etc. Never have. So I happily hide those sorts of updates and live happily ever after. But I can see the entertainment value for those who like them.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #74
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Okay! Nah, actually, I just don't like games of any kind: interpersonal, computer, board, card, etc. Never have. So I happily hide those sorts of updates and live happily ever after. But I can see the entertainment value for those who like them.
I'm in exactly the same boat as you Sarah and was beginning to think I was the only one. When family or friends are playing card games, video games etc, I always sit them out. I feel like a bit of a weirdo, but they hold no interest for me.

As for all these FB games in which you play with other people's pets etc - they look like a big waste of time, though it's hard for me to resist petting a dog or cat in real life
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:48 AM   #75

I joined FB about 2 years ago. I also think a lot of it is a huge waste of time (Farmville? Seriously?), but it is nice to keep up with what my niece and nephews are doing. Otherwise I'd never know!

The real reason I do FB, however, is that I met a group of women online 3 years ago when I was going through treatment for breast cancer. We hooked up at another bc site, and we got really close going through treatment at the same time. After about a year, we moved our entire group to a private FB space. There are about 20 of us (from all over the country), and we keep up with each other there. We've started annual reunions, which we can discuss and plan on FB. We met for the first time in Vegas in 2009, and then again on the east coast in 2010. For groups like ours, Facebook is great!!!
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

DH joined FB for a class he's taking. I can't believe how many people have poured out of the woodwork to contact him there and on LinkedIn--just last night someone from 30 years ago. He's always been a really, really nice guy to everyone and these people obviously remember that about him. He hasn't told me if anyone asks if he's still married to that witch, though....
Old 01-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

I joined Facebook to keep up with younger relatives. I did make contact with an old acquaintance / cow*rker for some catching up, but in general it is a waste of time. I've had to hide a few people that seem to find it yet another opportunity to push their religious and/or political values.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #78
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
He hasn't told me if anyone asks if he's still married to that witch, though....
Do you mean his first wife (before he got smart and married you? )...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Quote:

I'm going to quote this little gem so you can't go back and delete it once you sober up have second thoughts...
Glad to provide amusement...
Old 01-05-2011, 08:29 AM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

When I'm done with vicariously enjoying my daughter's life and no longer marketing things on Facebook, then I'll probably stop using the account.
Then there will be grandchildren pictures and their lives to follow.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote