Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,527
Just experienced another example of why facebook is valuable to me.

I am starting a new job Monday. I posted on facebook to announce this fact. So now my friends and those associates/colleagues I would otherwise rarely come into contact with know what is up. Just emailed a guy from my contact list at work who I get together with a few times a year. I let him know I was leaving and what my personal email is. He replied back and said "I already saw your post on facebook". He already got the news. Most likely the other folks that I forget to specifically contact got the news too, and if not, they can look me up on facebook when I don't return their emails directed to my old work address.
__________________

__________________
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (5, 11, and 12).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Just experienced another example of why facebook is valuable to me.

I am starting a new job Monday. I posted on facebook to announce this fact. So now my friends and those associates/colleagues I would otherwise rarely come into contact with know what is up. Just emailed a guy from my contact list at work who I get together with a few times a year. I let him know I was leaving and what my personal email is. He replied back and said "I already saw your post on facebook". He already got the news. Most likely the other folks that I forget to specifically contact got the news too, and if not, they can look me up on facebook when I don't return their emails directed to my old work address.
That's great. but... the problem with that is your privacy settings aren't locked down. I have a separate email address I only use for fb so it would be difficult for them to find me... intentionally.

This was especially valuable when people on fb knew I was retiring but my employer did not...
__________________

__________________
Retired July 2, 2010 at 62. My only regret is that I couldn't do it sooner.
thinker25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RonBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,280
Shouldn't a Thread with a Subject that asks a question be required to have a Poll attached? ( Yeah, I see the irony in that question.)
__________________
"It's tough to make predictions, especially when it involves the future." ~Attributed to many
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." ~(perhaps by) Yogi Berra
"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."~ Lau tzu
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
That's great. but... the problem with that is your privacy settings aren't locked down. I have a separate email address I only use for fb so it would be difficult for them to find me... intentionally.

This was especially valuable when people on fb knew I was retiring but my employer did not...
I'm not sure I follow your first paragraph exactly?

I control who sees my posts on FB. How is that not "locked down"?

And I clearly wouldn't post something like "I'm switching jobs in 2 months" on facebook. Even though this has been common knowledge among a small handful of friends for 2 months (and the forum), but kept more or less a secret from my employer for 2 months (they knew I interviewed but not was offered anything or had accepted).

It does require vigilance though. I can't go blabbing news to casual acquaintances and then expect them to respect my privacy on facebook by refraining from posting "Congrats on the new job" type posts 2 months early. But that is "real life" privacy control, not FB related (although FB can exacerbate leaky secret syndrome).

Last night I also chatted for a few minutes with a former work colleague/friend on FB. Turns out she will be working with me at the new job (her as consultant, me supervising consultants). And I have already identified probably a quarter of the staff at the new job who I already have contact with as friends of friends (and talked to some) - some but not all relationships identified through facebook. I think networking is key to success in promoting myself - selling my brand .

Edit to add: these are examples of why FB is useful to those working. In the spirit of the thread topic (is FB useful in ER?), I think the same idea applies to those not working. Again, it is useless if virtually none of your friends or prospective friends use FB. But if your network of friends/family are on FB, it can easily enhance your real life interaction with these people in a meaningful way. It is an easy interface to meet friends of friends and nurture those relationships (that you are interested in). As one who hopes to be ER in my 30's, I think FB will be a great way to keep in touch with lots of folks I find interesting and want to maintain relationships with (even if just casual relationships).
__________________
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (5, 11, and 12).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #85
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
That's great. but... the problem with that is your privacy settings aren't locked down. I have a separate email address I only use for fb so it would be difficult for them to find me... intentionally.
That's your second comment about privacy settings, but our point is that there are people on Facebook who want to be public, not private. I wouldn't necessarily refer to a lack of privacy settings as a "problem".
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:22 AM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 8,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
That's your second comment about privacy settings, but our point is that there are people on Facebook who want to be public, not private. I wouldn't necessarily refer to a lack of privacy settings as a "problem".
+1 It is easy to decide for yourself what you expose on Facebook. A typical user doesn't expose much of anything to the public (a little bit more than the white pages) and only exposes what they post to friends. If that worries you why would you even look at something like FB?

Rob Pegoraro had an article in today's Washington Post that argued that people get all excited about fairly trivial privacy issues. Examples he used were the initial concern that Google tied small adds to message content and grocery store loyalty programs. I agree with him that Google machine scanning text to correlate appropriate ads is no horror show, nor is gathering aggregate data on store customers to evaluate product lines (or even making offers based on previous buying history). I think some of us react as if there were actual people looking though our files and discussing our peccadilloes before choosing what ad to send. It is all done by machine. I am much more worried about what individuals (law enforcement, private investigators, employers, potential creditors) can look at through credit reports, medical records, job histories, etc. I think we should focus our efforts on legal structures limiting personal attention by people rather than custom offerings by machine or tut-tutting about people who want to expose themselves (pun intended) .

Edit: I just noticed that Pegoraro appears to have picked up some of his thoughts from an article in this month's Scientific American. The article argues that privacy concerns are overblown and cites the Gmail controversy which, it points out, quickly faded away once people got accustomed to it.
__________________
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
walkinwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,676
I think there is a bigger question to be asked. Should you keep up with technology trends in general? You can obviously live a very fulfilling life without them, but do you risk getting increasingly isolated/marginalized? For example, if more and more people turn to FB (or social networks as a whole) as a communications tool, you will be left out if all you have is e-mail access.

I use facebook a lot to keep in touch with family & friends. We also use it in our neighborhood as a announcement/discussion board. Thanks to BigMoneyJim, I now understand the value of Twitter!

I didn't get GPS thinking that if I mapped out a route before I left home, I wouldnt' need it. Turns out it is really useful. Want a starbucks while traveling? Ask the GPS for the nearest one. Want to avoid traffic - the GPS does it for you. Do you want to know what the speed limit is, the GPS shows it to you. I love it & all for less than $100.

Currently, I'm struggling with whether I should get a smart phone. The cost of the phone isn't the issue, but the $29/mo data plan is. Do I need it? No. But, if I have it, I can participate in communications with my friends who do. It can provide value in daily life too - comparison shopping, looking up information online on the go, having your schedule with you etc., but do I really HAVE to have it? Tough choice for me.

Think of all the people who never learned how to use a computer. How much are they missing out on?
__________________
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
jIMOh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Milford, OH
Posts: 2,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Last night I also chatted for a few minutes with a former work colleague/friend on FB. Turns out she will be working with me at the new job (her as consultant, me supervising consultants). And I have already identified probably a quarter of the staff at the new job who I already have contact with as friends of friends (and talked to some) - some but not all relationships identified through facebook. I think networking is key to success in promoting myself - selling my brand .

Edit to add: these are examples of why FB is useful to those working. In the spirit of the thread topic (is FB useful in ER?), I think the same idea applies to those not working. Again, it is useless if virtually none of your friends or prospective friends use FB. But if your network of friends/family are on FB, it can easily enhance your real life interaction with these people in a meaningful way. It is an easy interface to meet friends of friends and nurture those relationships (that you are interested in). As one who hopes to be ER in my 30's, I think FB will be a great way to keep in touch with lots of folks I find interesting and want to maintain relationships with (even if just casual relationships).
+1
very good post

I find linked in to be a great tool while working to keep track of comings and goings of people. I displaced myself from where I grew up (400 miles away) and where I went to college (250 miles a different direction) so many of people I went to college with are scattered within a 500 mile radius. Linked in does well to keep track of this, because as a consultant, every once in a while I cross paths with one of them at a company I am consulting with.

Personal interactions with people enrich life. FB is a great way to communicate weekly or monthly with people I would not otherwise interact with.

FB needs a funny joke Thursday newsfeed and it would be complete.
__________________
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. One person's stupidity is another person's job security.
jIMOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #89
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Major Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SF East Bay
Posts: 3,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I think there is a bigger question to be asked. Should you keep up with technology trends in general? You can obviously live a very fulfilling life without them, but do you risk getting increasingly isolated/marginalized? For example, if more and more people turn to FB (or social networks as a whole) as a communications tool, you will be left out if all you have is e-mail access.
Great question, and one that I've thought about quite a bit. Obviously, we don't all need to be on the bandwagon with every new website and application that comes out, but your next example brings it into focus:


Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Think of all the people who never learned how to use a computer. How much are they missing out on?
15 years ago many people (perhaps even the majority) weren't on the internet and the common wisdom was that it was very unwise to perform financial transactions online. It's not hard to see that a middle-aged person who refuses to adapt could end up making life harder for himself/herself in the long run.

Having said that, I would probably benefit if I spent a little less time online and got out of the house a bit more often
__________________
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #90
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I am starting a new job Monday.
My sympathies
__________________
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #91
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
My sympathies
Hey, I'm 30, it's what we do!

Besides, what else would I do all day?

Seriously, it is something different, and comes with a pay raise, and is in the public sector instead of private sector. And it is a good stepping stone to my next job (with more money) when I go private again (if I don't ER first!).
__________________
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (5, 11, and 12).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #92
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Lsbcal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: west coast, hi there!
Posts: 5,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
...(snip)...
15 years ago many people (perhaps even the majority) weren't on the internet and the common wisdom was that it was very unwise to perform financial transactions online. It's not hard to see that a middle-aged person who refuses to adapt could end up making life harder for himself/herself in the long run.

Having said that, I would probably benefit if I spent a little less time online and got out of the house a bit more often
Sounds like a good 2011 resolution. One of my resolutions this year is to get some walking done on days between running days. Another resolution is to study some tech phenomena like smart phones and Facebook without actually doing the stuff yet.

I love technology but try to keep a balance. All things in moderation except moderation.
__________________
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #93
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Hey, I'm 30, it's what we do!

Besides, what else would I do all day?
Just razzing you ... At that age, I did the same. My last job jump was at the age of 31, and I stayed there till my retirement at age 59.

Good luck to you...
__________________
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #94
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Just razzing you ... At that age, I did the same. My last job jump was at the age of 31, and I stayed there till my retirement at age 59.

Good luck to you...
It is sort of weird going to state employment where I'll be pension eligible. Full pension at 55 after 25 years of working. People (mostly people who are closer to traditional retirement age) keep telling me how awesome it would be to be able to retire at 55 and get the pension. I just say "I don't think I'll be around at the State that long but it does sound awesome". Or working anywhere for 25 more years heh heh heh...
__________________
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (5, 11, and 12).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #95
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Lsbcal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: west coast, hi there!
Posts: 5,686
Interesting article about how Goldman employees recently got a Facebook tutorial:

Quote:
...employees learned how to explain Facebook to their older clients, or to understand it themselves, according to the person who listened in.
Goldman Employees Blocked From Facebook Said to Get Tutorial - Bloomberg.com
__________________
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #96
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
Interesting article about how Goldman employees recently got a Facebook tutorial:

Goldman Employees Blocked From Facebook Said to Get Tutorial - Bloomberg.com

"They got a lesson yesterday from David Ebersman, Facebook’s chief financial officer.... Ebersman didn’t immediately return two e-mail messages."

Maybe they should message Ebersman on FB. Just sayin'...
__________________
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (5, 11, and 12).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #97
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,375
Walkinwood, your post says exactly what I've been thinking (although I don't think I'll do an active FB page--that's what DH is in charge of and he'll look forward to getting friend requests from naked ladies like Nords gets), down to the smart phone issue. Not only might it be hard to get back on the technology horse once we fall off, keeping up on gadgetry surely is good for the brain circuitry too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I think there is a bigger question to be asked. Should you keep up with technology trends in general? You can obviously live a very fulfilling life without them, but do you risk getting increasingly isolated/marginalized? For example, if more and more people turn to FB (or social networks as a whole) as a communications tool, you will be left out if all you have is e-mail access.

I use facebook a lot to keep in touch with family & friends. We also use it in our neighborhood as a announcement/discussion board. Thanks to BigMoneyJim, I now understand the value of Twitter!

I didn't get GPS thinking that if I mapped out a route before I left home, I wouldnt' need it. Turns out it is really useful. Want a starbucks while traveling? Ask the GPS for the nearest one. Want to avoid traffic - the GPS does it for you. Do you want to know what the speed limit is, the GPS shows it to you. I love it & all for less than $100.

Currently, I'm struggling with whether I should get a smart phone. The cost of the phone isn't the issue, but the $29/mo data plan is. Do I need it? No. But, if I have it, I can participate in communications with my friends who do. It can provide value in daily life too - comparison shopping, looking up information online on the go, having your schedule with you etc., but do I really HAVE to have it? Tough choice for me.

Think of all the people who never learned how to use a computer. How much are they missing out on?
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #98
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
It is sort of weird going to state employment where I'll be pension eligible. Full pension at 55 after 25 years of working. People (mostly people who are closer to traditional retirement age) keep telling me how awesome it would be to be able to retire at 55 and get the pension. I just say "I don't think I'll be around at the State that long but it does sound awesome". Or working anywhere for 25 more years heh heh heh...
Congrats, Fuego, and we look forward to your new viewpoint on the pensions: pro or con threads starting Monday!
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #99
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Congrats, Fuego, and we look forward to your new viewpoint on the pensions: pro or con threads starting Monday!
I would prefer a DC plan instead of DB. For the portability mostly. Take my 9% that the employer kicks into the DB plan and give it to me as a 401k match. Of course that would make the pension plan no longer work because they depend on people like me forfeiting our 9% a year to fund the pensions of career employees. Lemme go and complain about this on facebook!
__________________
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (5, 11, and 12).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #100
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
clifp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
It is sort of weird going to state employment where I'll be pension eligible. Full pension at 55 after 25 years of working. People (mostly people who are closer to traditional retirement age) keep telling me how awesome it would be to be able to retire at 55 and get the pension. I just say "I don't think I'll be around at the State that long but it does sound awesome". Or working anywhere for 25 more years heh heh heh...

You tell me how the market will do and what your salary will be in the next 25 years and I'll tell you if your pension is a good deal. Just curious after 25 years what percentage of your salary do you get?
__________________

__________________
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does Facebook Offer Privacy? easysurfer Other topics 81 01-27-2011 12:33 PM
Twitter, FaceBook, et al Midpack Other topics 34 12-13-2010 03:45 AM
Facebook clifp Other topics 67 02-28-2009 05:12 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:36 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.