Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
Let that serve as a warning- if you post photos, lots of people can see them and when people get bored (at w*rk) there is only so much to do until I start looking at people's photos on FB.
Even when I was w*rking, I don't think I ever got that bored.

Quote:
Ask me again in 10 years how this played out.
It won't matter. In 10 years FB will have been passé for 5 years (at least). I'm not in the least worried about my Motley Fool posts from 10 years ago. Whatever comes next will have it's own set of consequences, but despite warnings that nothing ever disappears from the internet, things get buried under so much crap it isn't worth digging for. JMO, of course.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'm not in the least worried about my Motley Fool posts from 10 years ago. Whatever comes next will have it's own set of consequences, but despite warnings that nothing ever disappears from the internet, things get buried under so much crap it isn't worth digging for. JMO, of course.
I've been trying to post as if the people concerned are reading over my shoulder. In fact sometimes I wish they'd read what I'd written about them-- the discussion which followed would be a lot easier that way.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:42 AM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
It won't matter. In 10 years FB will have been passé for 5 years (at least). I'm not in the least worried about my Motley Fool posts from 10 years ago. Whatever comes next will have it's own set of consequences, but despite warnings that nothing ever disappears from the internet, things get buried under so much crap it isn't worth digging for. JMO, of course.
Exactly. Remember Usenet? Dejanews consolidated the Usenet posts and then Google bought Deja. Now they're lost in internet history.

Oh, and FB is already on the way out. I can read the tea leaves now....
Old 01-07-2011, 01:04 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
Exactly. Remember Usenet? Dejanews consolidated the Usenet posts and then Google bought Deja. Now they're lost in internet history.

Oh, and FB is already on the way out. I can read the tea leaves now....
Some pages do get archived. There is that website called the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. I used it to find an old bio of mine from a website that bit the dust about 10 years ago.

However, I really don't do anything online that could be embarrassing to me in the future.....I think....

Luckily, my career was in the kind of industry where there were very few folk I needed to be politically correct with. If I do work in the future, it will be non-career type work, most likely part-time - the kind of work where I'm not too bothered what folk think of me.

Now, where were those fishnets and that digital camera........
Old 01-07-2011, 01:14 AM   #125
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've had a FB account for a couple of years but I kept a VERY low profile. Few "friends" and I didn't post. However, since my retirement a few weeks ago I've found FB to be very helpful in staying connected with a few friends. I'm warming up to it.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:55 AM   #126

I have very few friends, and those I have..... I doubt they are in Facebook. Well, maybe some of you are..... Any way my stock of inane things to say isn´t that large. This Forum takes it all!!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
I have very few friends, and those I have..... I doubt they are in Facebook. Well, maybe some of you are..... Any way my stock of inane things to say isn´t that large. This Forum takes it all!!
Hi Vincente, I like your attitude.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
I.... Any way my stock of inane things to say isn´t that large. This Forum takes it all!!
I feel sure that there are some other forum members who have what appears to be a limitless supply of inane things to say that could perhaps loan you some

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I feel sure that there are some other forum members who have what appears to be a limitless supply of inane things to say that could perhaps loan you some
Heck, I doubt that REWahoo or I could give any of ours away...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:19 PM   #130
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
REWahoo, giving away inane comments since 1902....

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Tight-fisted, eh
Old 01-08-2011, 01:55 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Well I am late to the party as usual. I have been busy with real life!

Anyway, I joined FB upon invitation and have struggled with it for about 6 months. I already knew that my kids use text messaging rather than email because email is so slow, last generation, lame.

But then they don't do a lot on FB either. They keep in touch with their close friends in other ways.

I reject all friend requests that I don't recognize. And all commercial requests. I am there in full view. But I am retired so maybe it is not worth their while.

I have found FB to be useful to reconnect with a cousin who is confined to a wheelchair and lives outside my normal sphere of travel (and also that of her two brothers) so we have reconnected in a meaningful way. There are a couple of other meaningful connections that have developed. Enough so, I check it twice a week to see what is up (unless travelling).

There are number of postings that I have had to shut done, including all games. But I have also connected with a bunch of new friends in the expat community in PV. So on balance, I would say it is a worthwhile forum but not the billion dollar panacea that Goldman thinks it is.

I check into three forums on a regular basis (daily when I can) and FB is not one of them. But for once a week or so, it does add value.

My grandson who is 10 has befriended me and, according to some new facilities, IDed me as his Grandpa. I suspect that means I can be eliminated from viewing some of his posts, but he won't do that for another 3 years! And by then I might have moved on to something else anyway.

Does anyone else view the market activity as reminiscent of 2000? All things are great in the markets, except that they are disconnected with reality!
Old 01-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #133

So how long till this forum moves to Facebook?
Old 01-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #134
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
No no a thousand times, no! This forum has so much more in the way of privacy controls... this is a good thing, I think people are more open when they are semi-anonymous. At least about money. (Americans are more likely to talk about sex than money... ho ho ho...)....
Old 01-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Well I am late to the party as usual. I have been busy with real life!
And this forum isn't real life? My butt hurts from sitting in this chair, my fingers are getting arthritic from all the typing and my back and neck hurt from my bad posture, my eyesight is failing from reading all this stuff! It is real life!

I wouldn't want it to be the only part of my real life though.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #136
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I moved to facebook several years ago. My visitation comes and goes. Have met some lovely folks there. Occasionally trim my lists. It's whatever you want it to be.

I also occupy twitter and friendfeed.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:25 AM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
No no a thousand times, no! This forum has so much more in the way of privacy controls... this is a good thing, I think people are more open when they are semi-anonymous.
You were joking, right?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:39 AM   #138
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm more of a lurker. FB and here.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #139

I had no idea that Er.org had a facebook page!

The media is getting a &W^ over this site, but I don't understand the hoopla - all this information is public. It is just an aggregation site.
People Search | White Pages | Find People | FREE!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #140
Recycles dryer sheets

I joined the FB party out of a perceived necessary - I went on The Amazing Race and discovered that that's what all the teams do - they get set up on facebook to milk their fame there. FYI my milk was very skim, my fame was fleeting, and my Facebook activity is now for family and freinds, not for the 62 fans I garnered.

I feel stuck in the middle:
* My 27 yo son does not respond to email anymore; if I message him FB I get a response very quickly. He is FB obsessed and posts at least 5 times a day about mindless stuff.
* I poked at my 73 yo fathers' FB page (which has 5 friends, 1 photo, and 9 wall posts in 2 years) to say "hey where are you!" and he got angry and stated "we OLD people don't DO facebook. Send me an email". He misses out on all his wonderful greatgrandson pictures, family ancestry findings, reunion stories, exciting and trivial moments of our lives. He misses the excitement when my son posts to the world that "he got his teaching assignment", or that the toddler is now saying "green means go".

It's hard to bridge these worlds.