Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The sole forum on which I post is ER. I read Bogleheads but do not post there. My sister tried to get me to join FB, but I resisted. She spends half her life on FB and Classmates and also her college alumni social website and gives my personal e-mail address out with abandon to people that we know in common (however slightly) so I don't feel the need to have a presence anywhere "to reconnect". My son never answers the e-mails I send him unless I get really mad and start threatening to hop a plane and show up on his doorstep. Somehow he knows when I have reached the limits of my patience, and he will respond with a terse message or even call. He claims I am the only one he knows who still uses e-mail so he never looks at it much.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

I cannot live without Facebook. All seven of my kids and most of their spouses and many of my 21 grandchildren on on Facebook. How would I know what's going on without FB?

I have some extended family and friends who post several messages per day. I just "hide" them, and tah-duh, I don't have to see their inane messages.
ScottFromUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #143
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've heard this idea before, that FB is going to make email obsolete. It sounds rather too pat. I won't be lining up to buy FB shares when the IPO comes out in 2012.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I feel sure that there are some other forum members who have what appears to be a limitless supply of inane things to say that could perhaps loan you some
Did someone call my name? This is the only forum I belong to, so you all get the best of the best of my innanity (is that even a word? )

Not a FB user, no desire to enter the domain.

I wouldn't want anything like FB to distract me from my cribbage games with Mr B. One of these days I might even win best of 3 games. Yeah right.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #145
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have Facebook but I did see the movie, "The Social Network." Thought it was really really good.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

What is this Facebook thing? How could I go and see what it is?
Old 02-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Let me google that for you.... LOL!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #148
Recycles dryer sheets

Grand kids set me up on FB while I was visiting them during the holidays. They were so proud when they showed me...my picture (actual), thank goodness they used a fictitious birthdate. :-/ No security...open to everyone...hmm. I read the security stuff and think I have it pretty tight now. I do enjoy seeing what they are up to and the pictures they put up (sports, plays, dance team, and silly goof-off pictures with their friends. What I don't like is all of the things that show up of who is now friends with whom, who likes whose status, etc. I don't post on g-kid's wall...just send them a FB message...and they get right back to me.

I did change my status picture (put a cute picture of my dog in its place) and I "hid" my picture, but I can't seem to remove it. Sigh.

I have found a friend or two I had lost contact with. Problem with FB posts with friends is that several of their friends (only acquaintances to me) have seen my posts and have sent request to be friends. I don't know these people well enough to have much to say to them beyond hello.

I accepted one too many today (he posted on my friend's page that he was glad to have found me and was sending me a request to be friends). He immediately wrote all over my page and sent me a long list of his friends he thought I would like to extend an invite to. Now I have to find out how to block him from posting on my wall...and I don't want any messages from him either! I should have just ignored him to begin with. 8-( Live and learn.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Nova, you can ignore requests from him and that can "hide" him pretty well from future requests. Harder with the wall, but if you just delete his posts, he'll get the picture. If asked, you can say you just don't like clutter.

To delete your picture, just click on it and you should have an option to delete. Unless it is one your gkids posted, then you can just untag yourself.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

I set up an account not long ago so I could read something a friend wanted me to take a look at. Then I saw where a few relatives were on there so I said, OK....might as well keep it. Then I got a request or two from people I had never heard of wanting to be friends. WTH? Why would anyone befriend someone they know nothing about?

I see where it can be a decent way to keep up with family, but I doubt I will get into very much. I saw where my niece has something like 600 friends on here account. Shes 25. I doubt I have met 600 people in my life time that I could possible call a friend.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I belong and keep up with my family. Not a big problem to check in once in a while and see what is happening. Of course I am an open book on the internet as I have nothing to hide. But I do ignore all friend requests that I want to.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #152
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I've been online since mammoths roamed the web (1995 or so); I have 5 email addresses and am on twitter facebook LinkedIn friendfeed...
Old 02-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I've been online since mammoths roamed the web (1995 or so); I have 5 email addresses and am on twitter facebook LinkedIn friendfeed...
Those text editor days looking at posts using UNIX on company workstations were memorable -- back in the neolithic computational days when fish were just moving onto land in Silicon Valley.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #154
Recycles dryer sheets

I received this post on FB a few days ago from a FB friend:

ALMOST EVERYONE'S PHONE NUMBERS & ADDRESS ARE NOW ON FACEBOOK!! Cell #'s too! Go to top right of your screen, click Account then Edit Friends. Go to left side of your screen, click Phonebook. Everyone's phone numbers are now published. Please repost to let your friends know this is happening so they can remove their numbers. (Privacy Settings-Phone-Customize-Only ME)--What Are They Thinking!?!

Great! I've been getting LOTS of spam texts since FB decided to "help us keep in contact". Sigh...
Old 02-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #155
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
I received this post on FB a few days ago from a FB friend:

ALMOST EVERYONE'S PHONE NUMBERS & ADDRESS ARE NOW ON FACEBOOK!! Cell #'s too! Go to top right of your screen, click Account then Edit Friends. Go to left side of your screen, click Phonebook. Everyone's phone numbers are now published. Please repost to let your friends know this is happening so they can remove their numbers. (Privacy Settings-Phone-Customize-Only ME)--What Are They Thinking!?!

Great! I've been getting LOTS of spam texts since FB decided to "help us keep in contact". Sigh...
It's not as bad as it sounds. First, only your "Friends" can see your mobile phone number--not the general public (You have set your privacy so that only friends can see your info, haven't you?). Second, you don't have to include your phone number in your contact information. Only about 1/3 of my friends have included their cell phone; I have not, so no one can see my cell phone number.
ScottFromUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #156
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromUtah View Post
It's not as bad as it sounds. First, only your "Friends" can see your mobile phone number--not the general public (You have set your privacy so that only friends can see your info, haven't you?). Second, you don't have to include your phone number in your contact information. Only about 1/3 of my friends have included their cell phone; I have not, so no one can see my cell phone number.
Good news. I have my security pretty tight, I think. I don't have my phone number on FB, but a number of my FB friends do...including my grand kids. So, if I contact them (g-kids) and ask them to make their phone numbers for their friends only or "me only", will their number disappear from my friends list phone numbers? I'm still pretty new to FB. Thanks!
Old 02-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Only your friends can see phone numbers, not the whole world (unless you have no privacy set at all). My own preferences for these are set for "only me". Your g-kids probably have only friends set for theirs, but because you are friends, you can see them. But it doesn't hurt to ask if you want to be on the safe side.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #158
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Do you remember the webcrawlers? Archie Jughead and Veronica?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:28 AM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
Do you remember the webcrawlers? Archie Jughead and Veronica?
Archie and newsgroups are what attracted me to the Internet in 93-94 before the Web was extensive enough to draw much attention. I can vaguely remember doing Archie inquiries by email.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #160
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Archie and newsgroups are what attracted me to the Internet in 93-94 before the Web was extensive enough to draw much attention. I can vaguely remember doing Archie inquiries by email.
Do those newsgroups still exist, or have they all morphed into something else? I am not so old a web hand as you, but I can remember when the web access through my local library was a text-based thingie called "lynx". That would have been maybe 1996 or 7...
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote