Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you color your hair ?
Yes 40 28.78%
No 96 69.06%
Sometimes 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2011, 02:37 AM   #21

I don't have any hair, and DW doesn't color hers.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2011, 06:14 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mrs Rambler does. I'm also in the "what hair?" group.

R

Old 04-03-2011, 06:32 AM   #23

I chose "sometimes". I have medium brown straight hair with only a few strands of gray (people in my family gray late). I get foil wraps twice a year which make for a very subtle color change...sort of like sunstreaks or highlights or whatever one calls them. It makes the gray strands less noticeable. This is the first time in my life that I have used any color in my hair at all. Right before I have the wraps done, my hair is pretty much it's natural color. I go for cuts about every 6 weeks to keep my above-the-shoulder bob in shape. It is not terribly expensive: wash and cut is $28.00, cut with the foil wraps is about $72.00 (excluding tip).
Old 04-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I do still color my hair ($7, L'Oreal natural light brown) because DH asked me to not stop doing it and he doesn't ask very much of me so I'm happy to continue. I have asked him to let me know when I can stop .
I still color mine as does my sister at the requests of our husbands. They say it makes them feel young!

I used to work with someone who didn't and thought "good for her, maybe I should try letting mine go grey." A couple of months later she came in with it dyed light brown.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #25

I have a full head 'o hair and at 53, have never colored it. It's probably 50% gray now, and the lady who cuts my hair mentioned that she could make all the gray go away for $10. Of course, then I'd be on the hook for regular maintenance. Not only do I not want to pay her to keep my hair brown, I don't want the hassle or expense of maintaining it myself either, so I'll just let nature take it's course. I already feel like I've won the hair lottery, since baldness is prevalent in the males on my dad's side of the family. He had 4 bald brothers, who produced several bald sons.

What saved me is that my dad's dad (bald also) outlived his first wife, and married a much younger woman (he was 60, she was 23!) and they produced 2 more sons, one of which was my dad. All the boys from the 1st marriage were the bald ones, the 2 boys from marriage number 2 kept a good bit of their hair most of their lives, plus the input from my mom's family, in which all the men had hair till they died, I think helped ensure I'd have plenty of vegetation on my head.

I have one male 1st cousin, son of dad's brother, who is my age. His head is like a bowling ball. So is (was) his older brother, who died. Otherwise, I have no living male 1st cousins from my dad's side. The one cousin who is living & is bald, began going bald in his 20's. So....I'm feeling pretty fortunate! My teeth, however....may be another matter....
Old 04-03-2011, 09:03 AM   #26

Yep, I dye my hair and I'm a guy. As long as I have to work, I'll keep doing it -- Age Discrimination is alive and well, so no reason to flaunt my age. But, as soon as I retire I also stop dying my hair (I guess one way to reduce expenses??).
Old 04-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I love nice looking gray hair . All the hip yoga doing women seem to have it . Plus I think most people who were blonde go gray nicely . I have brown hair and as I started to go gray it got much darker and washed out looking . So I get it colored which also gives my hair some body .
Old 04-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins
I chose "sometimes". I have medium brown straight hair with only a few strands of gray (people in my family gray late). I get foil wraps twice a year which make for a very subtle color change...sort of like sunstreaks or highlights or whatever one calls them. It makes the gray strands less noticeable. This is the first time in my life that I have used any color in my hair at all. Right before I have the wraps done, my hair is pretty much it's natural color. I go for cuts about every 6 weeks to keep my above-the-shoulder bob in shape. It is not terribly expensive: wash and cut is $28.00, cut with the foil wraps is about $72.00 (excluding tip).
I could have written this word for word. I'm wondering if whodareswin is my alter ego. The hairstyle, the prices, everything...wow.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #29

I have dark brown, very curly hair. I have quite a bit of gray mixed in and then some distinct streaks that are all gray. I've grown it long and wear it in a clip or in a braid which I think accentuates the all gray streaks.

People have complimented me on my "highlights", I guess they think it's admirable to not color over it. I don't color because I know once you start you have to keep up with it and the roots become so obvious.

My sister started covering her gray in her early 40's. First it was to match her original dark brown color, then she moved on to alternative shades, now she's a light blonde! And still frequently dealing with the roots.

There's a woman at the track who has a very long braid, down past her waist. The end is a dark brown and as you go up it fades to a lighter brown then into gray and finally around her shoulders it's all white. I wonder how long it's been since she cut it, it's like her own personal hair history.

I don't mind the gray but I don't like how my remaining dark brown is fading into a dull lighter brown.

DH still has plenty of hair, it runs in his family. More salt and pepper in recent years but it's nicely distributed and looks good on him. He has much less gray than me. He's never colored and I doubt that he would.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Where I work, some of the women, though well past 50, still wear their hair to their waists. The hair on the bottom is brown, in the middle it's gray, and the hair on top is white. I think it looks loony-tunes, but I don't expect them to care what I think.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
There's a woman at the track who has a very long braid, down past her waist. The end is a dark brown and as you go up it fades to a lighter brown then into gray and finally around her shoulders it's all white. I wonder how long it's been since she cut it, it's like her own personal hair history.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

What hair?
Old 04-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I voted yes.
I have always opposed the idea of dyeing my hair because I didn't want to take the chance of damaging it with harsh chemicals. Most of my hair is still jet black, but the grey at my temples and above my forehead is coming in a bit heavier. Par for the course.
At Mr B's suggestion, I used an off-the-shelf dark auburn demi-permanent color rinse. The results were great! It looked like I had color highlights done professionally. The only problem was it made a real mess in the bathroom sink. I quickly cleaned up the spatters and used a mild bleach solution on the Corian sink bowl and counter.
The next time, I had a hairdresser do it for me, using a wine colored red demi-permanent dye. Now that the sun is shining more often, the reddish (formerly grey) hairs look really great in contrast to my natural raven colored hair.
There has been no damage to my hair. I think I will continue to have it done as needed. I am growing my hair long these days. It is now just past shoulder length. When I get it re-shaped again, I'll post a pic.

Mr B does not dye his at all. His is mostly grey with some black. He asked me if I wanted him to dye his. Not for my sake was my answer.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I have waist length brunette hair, grey around the edges. Don't color it, I'm too cheap and too lazy.
Interesting that Mother didn't dye her hair, but Father did.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Thanks everyone for participating in this poll so far it looks like there are many more who do not color there hair than do . I even discounted it 20% ( according to the gender poll there are 20% more males ) even though several men said they do .The people who do not color are still ahead so I guess there are a bunch of LBYM even at the beauty parlor .
Old 04-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I have waist length brunette hair, grey around the edges. Don't color it, I'm too cheap and too lazy.
Interesting that Mother didn't dye her hair, but Father did.

My Mom only briefly died her hair when she was in her early 60's and my Dad loved it .It was an ash blond . My Dad was prematurely white for as long as I can remember . I always had the feeling that that ash blond was well worth the money for the feelings it aroused .
Old 04-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have highlighted my own hair for years. I didn't start seeing much grey in my hair until I was in my 40's, and then the highlights kind of blended with it. I decided last year to abandon the highlights for a while, and see if the grey would look like natural highlights. Upon seeing a photo of myself last summer, I concluded that not only did they not look like highlights, but I looked like I was 100 years old!

I promptly returned to highlighting and touching up the roots as needed.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
What hair?

Yea I was going to ask if Bald is a color or not? Actually I do have some hair but it is all pretty much gray now. My wife and I took a vacation to Whistler recently with our daughter, and my wife snapped a pic of us. I think something happened to the exposure (heh) because it made me look like my hair had been bleached. Sort of like a white Dennis Rodman. It was sort of interesting looking to say the least. My friends on FB liked it anyways!
Old 04-03-2011, 06:44 PM   #38

I've tried writing "flesh" on hair color questions several times; the last was a security clearance form after I had decided to retire. Needless to say the questioners were not amused.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #39

I do not color my hair.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #40

I am going to get my hair colored on Tuesday. I think that it has been since October since I have had my hair colored or cut by my hair stylist. My daughter colored my hair for me once since October. I am trying to let my hair grow also. However, I am going to go to VA this week-end and will see a lot of relatives that I have not seen for awhile, so decided I had better get it colored and trimmed.

I keep toying with the idea of having my hair colored the pretty shade of grey at some point in the future, and see if that would help with trying to let the color go natural. Has anyone tried doing this?