Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you color your hair ?
Yes 40 28.78%
No 96 69.06%
Sometimes 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Do you color your hair ?
Old 04-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Do you color your hair ?

A poll was recently requested on this subject so I thought I would start it . I do color my hair mostly because my older sister colors hers and no way do I want to look older than her .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We just had countless threads on this topic over the years, including a thread just last October, here.

Perhaps a check using our search function might help.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Might need a "If I did I'd never tell" choice. Though I suppose not voting works. I did not see a ton of folks in the thread referenced by W2R actually say if they did.

Arnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Might need a "If I did I'd never tell" choice. Though I suppose not voting works. I did not see a ton of folks in the thread referenced by W2R actually say if they did.
It wasn't a long thread, but those women who colored outnumbered those who didn't about 2:1.

The present poll, of course, does not distinguish between men and women. So maybe it is different in that it really doesn't answer the question raised in the thread where you suggested the poll.

Here's another thread with further information on the topic, started by Moe herself last May, that has many posts by women who state that they color their hair.

The search function is really nice, too. I recommend it. I know all of you are really good at this.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Actually, I did not really mean to request/suggest a poll, as I figured some people feel that is personal. My bad, my rhetorical wasn't working very well. And I did check the search just before saying that to make sure one had not just been started.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Actually, I did not really mean to request/suggest a poll, as I figured some people feel that is personal. My bad, my rhetorical wasn't working very well. And I did check the search just before saying that to make sure one had not just been started.

It was a good idea . We have a lot of new members so why not ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What hair?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
It was a good idea . We have a lot of new members so why not ?
Good point, and besides I don't think we have ever had a confidential poll like this that includes MEN - - I don't think many man color their hair, but who knows? Maybe they really do and just don't talk about it.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
What hair?

Old 04-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

awwww ... you mean I backed off my great idea for nothing?

Okay, so I suppose I need to come clean ...

I have colored for a few years, but will usually tell someone if they comment about my lack of gray. I'm planning to quit coloring after I retire, figuring I'll have less reason to be vain. Not sure how that will go.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I started losing my hair at the age of 18 so put me in the "what hair?" group
Old 04-02-2011, 08:47 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

W2R - is that a N'Awlins Po Boy

Solid gray here - started turning in my late '20s.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I have never asked someone if they colored their hair, for the same reason that I never asked if they worked out regularly. In either case, I would assume a "yes" answer only means they had a wish to feel/look better. That's their business/choice, and I am just the beneficiary.
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #14
Administrator

Not me, baby! It's as green as ever.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
W2R - is that a N'Awlins Po Boy

Solid gray here - started turning in my late '20s.
Yes, it's a shrimp po'boy from Smitty's. My idea of complete and total bliss. However, F. and I shared a shrimp po'boy last Thursday, from Acme. It had so many shrimp that it made the one in my avatar look skimpy. So heavenly!

Old 04-02-2011, 10:35 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Good point, and besides I don't think we have ever had a confidential poll like this that includes MEN - - I don't think many man color their hair, but who knows? Maybe they really do and just don't talk about it.
Here`s an old article from 2002 that quotes a Clairol survey suggesting that 55% of women and 11% of men color their hair. The context is not stated.

For many aging people, gray hair is something to dye for | j. the Jewish news weekly of Northern California
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

We were at a college reunion a couple of years ago and there were several men whose hair was obviously colored.

I do still color my hair ($7, L'Oreal natural light brown) because DH asked me to not stop doing it and he doesn't ask very much of me so I'm happy to continue. I have asked him to let me know when I can stop .
Old 04-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #18

I'll admit it is now 9 months since I gave up dying my hair. I've decided to embrace my gray and I love it. I'll never dye my hair again.

Funny how many of my female peers have felt so threatened by my decision, that they feel they need to justify their decision to dye. Personally I couldn't care less what others do.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #19

Maybe you should specify whether you mean the hair on your head or somewhere else.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:34 AM   #20

The hair on my head is white. The other is waiting to be told about changing colour.