Votes: 40 29.0%
  • No

Votes: 95 68.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters

Moemg

Gone but not forgotten
A poll was recently requested on this subject so I thought I would start it . I do color my hair mostly because my older sister colors hers and no way do I want to look older than her .

We just had countless threads on this topic over the years, including a thread just last October, here.

Perhaps a check using our search function might help.

Might need a "If I did I'd never tell" choice. Though I suppose not voting works. I did not see a ton of folks in the thread referenced by W2R actually say if they did.

Might need a "If I did I'd never tell" choice. Though I suppose not voting works. I did not see a ton of folks in the thread referenced by W2R actually say if they did.

It wasn't a long thread, but those women who colored outnumbered those who didn't about 2:1.

The present poll, of course, does not distinguish between men and women. So maybe it is different in that it really doesn't answer the question raised in the thread where you suggested the poll.

Here's another thread with further information on the topic, started by Moe herself last May, that has many posts by women who state that they color their hair.

The search function is really nice, too. I recommend it. I know all of you are really good at this.

Last edited:
Actually, I did not really mean to request/suggest a poll, as I figured some people feel that is personal. My bad, my rhetorical wasn't working very well. And I did check the search just before saying that to make sure one had not just been started. :)

Actually, I did not really mean to request/suggest a poll, as I figured some people feel that is personal. My bad, my rhetorical wasn't working very well. And I did check the search just before saying that to make sure one had not just been started. :)

It was a good idea . We have a lot of new members so why not ?

It was a good idea . We have a lot of new members so why not ?

Good point, and besides I don't think we have ever had a confidential poll like this that includes MEN - - I don't think many man color their hair, but who knows? Maybe they really do and just don't talk about it. :cool:

awwww ... you mean I backed off my great idea for nothing? :ROFLMAO:

Okay, so I suppose I need to come clean ...

I have colored for a few years, but will usually tell someone if they comment about my lack of gray. I'm planning to quit coloring after I retire, figuring I'll have less reason to be vain. Not sure how that will go.

I started losing my hair at the age of 18 so put me in the "what hair?" group

W2R - is that a N'Awlins Po Boy:confused:

Solid gray here - started turning in my late '20s.

I have never asked someone if they colored their hair, for the same reason that I never asked if they worked out regularly. In either case, I would assume a "yes" answer only means they had a wish to feel/look better. That's their business/choice, and I am just the beneficiary.

Not me, baby! It's as green as ever.

W2R - is that a N'Awlins Po Boy:confused:

Solid gray here - started turning in my late '20s.

Yes, it's a shrimp po'boy from Smitty's. My idea of complete and total bliss. However, F. and I shared a shrimp po'boy last Thursday, from Acme. It had so many shrimp that it made the one in my avatar look skimpy. So heavenly!

Good point, and besides I don't think we have ever had a confidential poll like this that includes MEN - - I don't think many man color their hair, but who knows? Maybe they really do and just don't talk about it. :cool:

Here`s an old article from 2002 that quotes a Clairol survey suggesting that 55% of women and 11% of men color their hair. The context is not stated.

For many aging people, gray hair is something to dye for | j. the Jewish news weekly of Northern California

We were at a college reunion a couple of years ago and there were several men whose hair was obviously colored.

I do still color my hair ($7, L'Oreal natural light brown) because DH asked me to not stop doing it and he doesn't ask very much of me so I'm happy to continue. I have asked him to let me know when I can stop :) .

I'll admit it is now 9 months since I gave up dying my hair. I've decided to embrace my gray and I love it. I'll never dye my hair again.

Funny how many of my female peers have felt so threatened by my decision, that they feel they need to justify their decision to dye. Personally I couldn't care less what others do.

:whistle: Maybe you should specify whether you mean the hair on your head or somewhere else.

I don't have any hair, and DW doesn't color hers.

Mrs Rambler does. I'm also in the "what hair?" group.

R

I chose "sometimes". I have medium brown straight hair with only a few strands of gray (people in my family gray late). I get foil wraps twice a year which make for a very subtle color change...sort of like sunstreaks or highlights or whatever one calls them. It makes the gray strands less noticeable. This is the first time in my life that I have used any color in my hair at all. Right before I have the wraps done, my hair is pretty much it's natural color. I go for cuts about every 6 weeks to keep my above-the-shoulder bob in shape. It is not terribly expensive: wash and cut is $28.00, cut with the foil wraps is about $72.00 (excluding tip).

I do still color my hair ($7, L'Oreal natural light brown) because DH asked me to not stop doing it and he doesn't ask very much of me so I'm happy to continue. I have asked him to let me know when I can stop :) .

I still color mine as does my sister at the requests of our husbands. They say it makes them feel young!

I used to work with someone who didn't and thought "good for her, maybe I should try letting mine go grey." A couple of months later she came in with it dyed light brown.:D

I have a full head 'o hair and at 53, have never colored it. It's probably 50% gray now, and the lady who cuts my hair mentioned that she could make all the gray go away for $10. Of course, then I'd be on the hook for regular maintenance. Not only do I not want to pay her to keep my hair brown, I don't want the hassle or expense of maintaining it myself either, so I'll just let nature take it's course. I already feel like I've won the hair lottery, since baldness is prevalent in the males on my dad's side of the family. He had 4 bald brothers, who produced several bald sons.

What saved me is that my dad's dad (bald also) outlived his first wife, and married a much younger woman (he was 60, she was 23!) and they produced 2 more sons, one of which was my dad. All the boys from the 1st marriage were the bald ones, the 2 boys from marriage number 2 kept a good bit of their hair most of their lives, plus the input from my mom's family, in which all the men had hair till they died, I think helped ensure I'd have plenty of vegetation on my head.

I have one male 1st cousin, son of dad's brother, who is my age. His head is like a bowling ball. So is (was) his older brother, who died. Otherwise, I have no living male 1st cousins from my dad's side. The one cousin who is living & is bald, began going bald in his 20's. So....I'm feeling pretty fortunate! My teeth, however....may be another matter....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom