Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Do you feel guilty about ER?
Old 09-07-2008, 06:26 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

e.g.

- should still be w*rking, contributing to society?

- having too much fun, life shouldn't be this good?

...Vick
vickko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2008, 06:42 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

vikko, this is a topic that has been discussed often here on the forum. You might want to do a search to see what you can find using this search tool.

Here is one recent thread as a sample: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ilt-22307.html
Old 09-07-2008, 06:48 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Only that I am not ERd.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickko View Post
e.g.
...Vick
I gotta learn not to take a big mouthful of coffee before clicking on "next post".

No, no guilt feelings at all. What we mostly feel is "Life is good." We worked our assets off for this ER and we're going to enjoy it by collecting more money in retirement than we ever collected in paychecks.

And I'm pretty sure I'm still catching up on the fun that I deferred in my working years. Maybe by 2030 I'll be getting closer to parity. Doubt it. I never felt guilty about taking recess or summer vacations from school, either.

I should point out that there are more ways to contribute to society than by earning a paycheck and trying to save Social Security/Medicare.

But it doesn't matter how we feel. Would you feel guilty about taking long vacations from the workplace? Would you feel guilty about taking a three-month sabbatical? Six months? A year?

The key would be how you felt about going back to work. At that point you'd realize you had nothing to feel guilty about...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

I should point out that there are more ways to contribute to society than by earning a paycheck and trying to save Social Security/Medicare....
-
This is the crux of the biscuit. And where does this idea come from: that we need to contribute to society? What is society anyway? I could sit cross-legged on a mountain top for forty years on that one.

No guilt here, but then my retirement is "semi-early." I did do a long stint in "semi-retirement." Don't think I had any guilt there either but I did get more people looking at me askance.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
-
...but I did get more people looking at me askance.
You California folks sure have some strange names for things. If we had a clue whether you were a Jo or a Joe we might have some idea as to the particular body part people were viewing...
Old 09-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Guilt? Nope!

The only thing I felt remotely like it could perhaps be called a mild form of "survivor guilt" where I feel a little sorry for the poor folks who have to keep working. Especially those who are stuck working for the rest of their life.

No longer "working to contribute to society"? I never felt an obligation to some nameless "society" in general, only to those people close to me and those organizations with which I choose to be involved.

Having "too much fun"? I heartily subscribe to the Declaration of Independence assertion of the inalienable human right to "pursuit of happiness". There is no such thing as "too much fun".

Gosh, where do people get these bizarre guilt-ridden puritanical self-denying concepts anyway. And in whose interest is it, exactly, to perpetuate these. Your own? I don't think so! It's the way for other people, "society", to get you do deny yourself and give them what they want instead.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You California folks sure have some strange names for things. If we had a clue whether you were a Jo or a Joe we might have some idea as to the particular body part people were viewing...
-
Phew! That kind of Texas talk in the summer gives me the vapors.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:07 AM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for all your replies

And yes, I'll try the search engine soon.

A couple relatives have said that they "should work". Those "shoulds" are killers.

....Vick
vickko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
- contributing to society?
No....

...and I do contribute to society.....
Old 09-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't contribute to society.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
sit cross-legged on a mountain top
be it known by all sentient beings that this post is my contribution to society. one more thing i can cross off my things to do today list.

is not even sitting cross-legged on a mountain top a contribution to society? one less person driving the highways, crowding the malls, one less person adding their neurosis to the world.

who contributes more (as if quantity matters): continuously struggling ambassadors of a riving planet or one who attains a moment of personal inner peace.

edit:

"life is a play and we all play a part: the lover, the dreamer, the clown" ~~laugh clown laugh

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
.........The only thing I felt remotely like it could perhaps be called a mild form of "survivor guilt" where I feel a little sorry for the poor folks who have to keep working. Especially those who are stuck working for the rest of their life..........
My sentiments exactly - especially the people that were left behind at Megacorp when I took the buyout. They are trying to do the same tasks with far fewer people.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Not at all. I've given my "pound of flesh".

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Not one bit! (Although my retirement was not that early by the standards of many on this forum, age 58.)
- I enjoy life pretty much on my own terms;
- I work out a lot, thereby (hopefully) keeping aggregate national health expenses lower;
- I (thankfully) have the resources to contribute to a few charities;
- I support my community through taxes but take little out of it (e.g., no kids in school, no need for public support for health care, fuel assistance, etc.)
- I volunteer in several venues, probably contributing to society a helluva lot more than I did during my post-Navy, corporate "career."
- I don't commute to work; therefore I put less carbon in the air than I did when I was working.
- I have time to shoot the breeze with store clerks and be nicer/less brusque than when I worked (and was more hurried/harried).

And even being a Catholic (where guilt is often part of the package) I don't have any.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:00 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

No guilt.

Just a dirty little smirk every morning when I wake up and see that its after 8 in the morning.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #17

Oya, Nda, ?da, Nde, K'amaj, C'am, N...taj, Tsaa, Haw, Hawaa, Maley, Nee, Geen, Gai, Ats, Ci, Mahnguh, Indi, ?nkobi, Jo, Ne, Jok, Arangkwa, Yelem, Aydelem, Aye, Ie, Way, Cuwa, Ti, Nari, Na, Dah, Ma, Poyeda, Lay, Laa, La, Lela, Jo, Jo, Mai?, Voch, Che, Nu, Daabş, Ma, La, Non, Nun, Iyat, Mam, Ba, Wşn, Ahqho, Aqa, Keawai, Janiwa, Janiw, Jani, Janixay, Janix?, Gatu, Yox, Gila, Sinalubiri, Ahah, Nangwa, Enna, Ayi, Yagam, Yugam, Hais, Katai, Kutai, Yok, Ez, Daong, Ne, Nie, Awe, Na, Bobo, Gara, Ni, No, Saa, Te, Ao, Poi-e, Ne, Hm, Awşje, All-, Nann, Ket, Nope, Taah, Mu-, Teo, Taawe, Ne, Momo, Ngai, Mahou'hpu, Mahou'pabu, Gala, Bee, Be, [emphatic]Beeya, [saidbymen]E, [saidbywomen]Ee, É'e, Doo-yee, Kily, E, Kş'i, Ma...ta, Maan, Mhai, Nie', No, ?, Ahe', ?ndi, N, Oh?'m, Haan-haan, Haa-ha', Dac, Ka'c, Ka'cu, Katcokma, Tla, V'-tla, Tla-hv, Hov'čhne, Iyayi, Iyaye, No, Halo, Wake, ??i, Iyayi, Ani, Pepe, Keyu, Ahanh, Chikimba, Iksho, Mach, Ma', Ma'anic, Ma, Mach, X'?ş, Ha?ş, Ma, Ohom, K'amu, Ma, K'amu, OhŤm, Sewilx, Amo, Se, Anictu, Museil, Pwo, Chuk, Ohom, Nyi, Kai, Keka, Ko, Tocus?, La, V?, Nani, Kai, Kamu, Kepu, Nageus, Na, Nagusy, Non, Inn?, Kue, Akwi, Akwe, Ekwe, Elekic, Eka, Mwčc, Nam?ya, Mola, Kus, MŤnkos, Hekťst, Non, Ne, Sa, Su, D?ta, Nej, Kaha', 'Andooh, 'Awundooh, Yagu, Noon, Umaaw, Aliu, Hani, Wata, Guran, Yaga, OhŤm, A'ou, Nee, Neen, Yimba, Aa, Kha-, Gadu, Da, No, Nope, Uh-uh, Nut, Naw, Nah, Noway, Na, Nese, Ne, Me'-tea, A'na, Maal, Ei, Ep, Es, Eiba, Eih, ?ih, Ein, Qu?ta, Aan, Aach, Aachin, Koa, Koko, Aaha, Nei, Nah, Ne, Xai, Sega, Ei, Eo, A'a, Non, Nee, N?, Ala, Jikai, W?, Xai, Diylyola, Non, Nenni, Nona, Nani, Gamil, Nedda, 'Aa, 'Aa?, Nani, K'amu, ?o, ?hv, Ah-ra, Ara, Nein, [slang]N?, [slang]Nie, [slang]Naa, [spokenlanguage]Nee, Nei, Naa, [spokenlanguage]Na, Maya, Nau, Ochi, De'ngje, N?'?, Ahaniri, Nahniri, NahiiN, Naa, Ma, Yaka, Biway, Gurrangung, Manari, Aya, Mo, Me, Babu, A'a, 'A'ole, Lo, Desa, Nesats, Jinahi, Nahin, Hye, Jinahin, Naheen, Na, Tsis, Chťimu, Hina, Mhai, Msian-ne, Msi, Bo, Mtioh, Mmsi, Uhun, Qa'?, Gae', K'ae', A?, Atsa, Ib, Ngwüy, Ngome, Ngo, Ka-, Nem, Nei, Ntondo, No, Saan, Haan, Ne, Tidak, [informal]ndak, [informal]nggak, [informal]kagak, [don't]Jangan, [notyet]Belum, [forthings]Bukan, Aa, Maawaach, No, Non, Naaga, Naamik, Aagaa, Aakka, Naagga, Naaka, Naamik, [itisn't]Nşhea, No, Ne, No, Engga, Ma', Omba, 'A, Na, Ani, Ye', Mach, Isha, Iie, Nne, Iya, Yanda, Ingeno, [highJavanese]Mboten, Ora, [forthings:not]Sanes, Nann?n, Kayon, Nau, Ak, A'ou, Ahani, ?ni, Lawnga, Kuru, Ne, Moh, Mao, [emphatic]Mako, Uga, Anit?, N'a'i, K'amaq, C'am, Beda, Illa, Aa, Ali, Deeai, Jo, ?ni, Ei, Mwe?, Ne-keh, Ma, Aricne, Ka'ya, Lawnga, K?t?, Ki?p, -e?m, Zhoq, Ohom, Ink'a, Ma, Ink'a', Chox, Taku, ||ka, Te, Otte, Pa, No, Moh, Ingaaha, Ayee, V?, Aca, Tiguo, Aa, Oya, Acha, Jok, Oya, Yo, Hapana, A-a, ?awa, ?niko, Ni, Bebe, Aga, Abu, Naa, Aniyo, Animnida, Ajo, Ajej, Moh, Non, Nomo, Wiya, Suli, |kťa, |kťi, P?uhara, Na, Ne, Neu, No, Mala, Mats, Gooran, Aaye, [emphatic]Ahawe, [emphatic]Ahowe, |ka, |kwa, ka:, Man, Biduk, No, ?ni, Mahhey, Łi, Hiya, Shnee, Bo, Non, Nullus, Minime, Ne, Kapwa, Ku, Mata, Kuta, Umayay, Tahashi, Tachich, Mahchikwi, Alalan, Kukesi, Kunkesi, Kuktakohchi, Kuntakohchi, Okeksene, Ngga', T?, No, Non, Ne, [veryinformal]A'a, [veryinformal]M'm, ?b, [you]?t, [me/I]?b, No, Nee, Nee, Ne, Qay, Gai, Inehi, Ngaaha, Nangwa, Kwaha, Ooyo, Xwş?, Kagute, Neen, Lawnga, Ne, Ikai, Dele, Tsia, An, an, Tidak, Bukan, Le, Mi, Min, Ai, Yimba, Waka, [not]Aku, Bushizheyang, Budui, Meiyou, Bushi, Hani, Ham, Aat, Aita, Kao, Kare, Mü, Nahi, Uke, Ampi, Mampi, Ampu, Jaab, Mme, Nanga, Aepot?a, A-a, Nole, Gčmu, Noo, Pamiyeur, Mv[+subject], Maiv[+subject], M?imi, Moqwa, Ao, Indak, H?'?, Apia, Ewut?, Hama, Hella, Huma, Ken, 'Ewyty', [informal]'E'eh, Hela, Ewutu, Ka'p, Kip, Ka, Ład+u, KoŤ, Tť', Tťu, Met, Ekshu, Q'ay, Nau, H?e, Ha, Non, ?güi, [notthis]Bish, Karu, Gadu, Garu, Ayo, Ma', Aras, Aja?, A?, Akana, Amo, Hiya, Edi, Ana:, Achicha, Minta, I?k, De?ei, Dooda, Ndaga', Mewaq, Hayi, Koma, Nono, Ya'ngo, Ahaa, [definition]Hoina, [location]Chaina, Makhu, Ngarru, Jowandjan, ?ť, [lit.don't]Warrayi, No, Nei, N?i, Deai, ??, ?wč, Oh?'m, Juat, Ni, Gaawesa, Kai, Ana, Hon'-ka-zhi, On'ka-zhi, N?, N?, Noun, Mbu, |kwa, |kwi, Kwi, Vuo, Vuol, Vuel, Ya'a, K'ami, Mwi, Pame, Ning, Neng, Pia'a, Roba, Anş, N?h?, Na, Nakhayr, [polite]Kotama, [slang]Konotiri, [slang]Ne, [answertoquestion]Iniani, [forbidding]Hari'a, ?ni, Karu, M'khu, ?mbe, ?starhu, ?si, No, Nomoa, Pia'a, Inte, Tesu, Tee, Wiya, Eeno, Nau, Nee, Ma, Ntaj, Ntax, Ta, Maa, Ma...ta, Nie, Si'ai, Siei, Kui, Da', Caj, N?o, Co, Non, [formal]Nani, Naheen, Nahi, Yaapw, Mmm, Yeehee, Manam, Mana, Manan, [forbidding]Ama, Ma-, Man...taj, Ina, Kare, Hae?um?, Niş, NişkŤ, Nişkmş, Na, Na, Nu, Na, 'Igka'i, 'Igke'i, Nyet, ?ewe, Taj, ?le, Ij, Tae, T?toto, Tahatna, Mer?, ?h?, Leai, Kai, Ipo, N?n?, N, Wa?, No, Na, Nde, Ee, Naw, Nae, Na, Mo, Aowa, Ne, Saate, Nou, Non, Tjhe, Tjhee, Aikona, Nyaa, ?i?, Ahha, Mecheye, Mesheki, Uhuh, G?, Neh, Icma, Aiwa, Kwete, Kai, Atsa, Nuddu, Nessunu, Baatili, Na, Ma, Natha, Qa, Ha, Nie, Ne, Maya, Ayi, Ne, No, T, Nono, Heunteu, Sanes, [don't]Ulah, Na, Noe, Nej, Ohom, [toelder]Hindipo, [sameage/younger]Hindi, Aita, U'a, [emphatic]Wu'a, Ne, Nono, Kala-kala, Illai, Venda, Baety, K?, Que, Quetasi, Tsirap?, Tasi, Tarap?, Ak?a, Nay, Yuk, Boomi, Gom, Umbae, Bae, Kaddu, Ledu, Maitague, Lae, [beforeaverb]La, Mai, Maidai, Maichai, Maioua, Ma-ja, Yo, Marey, Meyin, La', [emphatic]Lala', Ay-[+verbroot]-n, Tailpa, T'akwha, Klek, Tleix, Miyuc, Mi, Nogat, 'Ikai, Hş-ekh, Nichuna, Gala, Te, To, Wik, Haic, Mbe'ae, Anhan, Ijji, Iddi, Mbaa, Naani, [emphatic), [bywomen]Naani-mia, Hayir, Yok, Chok, Daabş, Ju'uk, [thereisn't]Ma'yuk, I'i, Mo'oj, [beforeconsonant]Mu, [beforevowel]Muc, Ma, Maan, ?v?l, Ni, Ana, Nahin, NehiiN, Anin, Ta', Kach, Ka-, Jyok, Yaq, Yuk, Y?q, No, Ei, Kh?ng, Th?akh?ng, Awigi, Dili, [old]Tifale, Ei, EB, Ep, Wihya, Mi, Neis, Aye, Wandi, [literally:'nothing']Lawa, [innegativecommands]Walku, Wangaay, Wayil, ?s, A, Aitsa, Wayil, Oh?m, Na, [noIdidn't]Naddo, [noIdidn't]Nage, [noIdon'twant]Nagoes, [noIamnot]Nacydw, Ya'a, El-eh-oh, Min, Mina, Wirraay, Kia, Ohom, Deedeet, K'amu, |na, K'au, K'auki, Anr?, Łi, Hayi, Nne, Ngava, 'É'e, K'amu, Ohom, Nit, Neyn, Mita, Anhan, K'ami, K'amu, K'amu, Ohom, Yaka, Rara, Oti, B??kŤ, Ma', Maa, Yahq, Tan, Mi-tang-keh, No, Ganga, Que, Ka', Ko', Akti, Bi, Bito, Cabi, Abi, Bi, Bibi, Bitw, Cabi, Bow, Ejxe, Watkh, Ja'ne, N@7tti, Cha, Tsha, Haaingeko, 'Ella,

In case you missed my point, that is NO in about 980 dialects/slang/languages!
Rustic23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yah, I wake up at 4:00 AM tossing and turning about it all the time. I think I will go back to work.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #19

Quote:
e.g.

I don't feel a single bit guilty, never have, and never will! I served the required sentence number of years to achieve parole full retirement for the rest of my life! I don't feel anymore guilt over my successful ER, than I feel when I win something in a raffle (like the half hog in won last December for buying a $5 raffle ticket). I feel joy, gladness, happiness, elation, satisfaction, and a myriad of other wonderful feelings over my ER......but guilt.....NEVER!!!

Do I feel I should still be working? NO WAY!!! What are ya nutz?! Contributing to society? Screw 'society'! Let 'society' fend for itself! That's not to say that I don't offer my time and money to help the less fortunate, because I do.

Do I feel like I'm having too much fun? Too much fun is like too much money....too much chocolate.....too much garlic....too much....well, you get the picture.

Life shouldn't be this good? Ummmm, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but THIS is what REAL life is supposed to be like!!! Work, jobs, careers.....those are merely a means to achieve a goal......LIFE!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:07 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

I feel guilty just thinking about ER. I'm still w*rking, but seriously planning for ER. Maybe guilty is not the right word, but I'll feel bad that every single one of my friends will still be working for years to come.

After ER, I definitely won't feel guilty that I'm not contributing to society, because I will still be a contributer. After ER, I'll still be the same consumer that I've been all my life, so I'm keeping the economy going same as always, and by leaving my j*b I'll be making room for a younger, probably smarter worker. So it's all good.
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote