Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

do you give yourself time start of retirement to chill?
Old 01-08-2008, 04:45 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

do you give yourself time start of retirement to chill?

Decided in Dec that I'll be retiring at 50 end of June this year.
So right away I was looking at how I'll fill some of my time.
Should I actually plan on taking a few weeks/month off before I start to get busy again?
How long before you found activities/etc? (structured or otherwise)
retiringat50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2008, 04:52 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been at this for 6 months now ... and I'm still in the enjoy and chill stage. I don't quite have any routinue as of yet. I actually think that this might be the way it goes for the next few years. I am traveling extensively (almost 4 of the last 6 months).

so my advice is to chill out until you actually need to do something .. and then chill some more and think about it. I have found that if it's important, it will get done ... and if it isn't then it can wait ...
I've even got my DW trained, so that she allows me to sleep until I wake up unless we have something planned (usually for lunch with friends or family) or it's important (like the house is on fire)

you've worked (probably) the bulk of you adult life ... take some time to enjoy ... It's ... well, enjoyable

Best of luck to you on your upcoming retirement.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:32 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I retired on Dec 14 2007,just got back from a 3 week vacation in Florida and now i'm just chilling till the spring when the sportscar comes out of hibernation and the fishing and camping gear gets dusted off,New Motorcycle might be in the works and DW wants to drive across Canada at some point in the summer.In the mean time i just bought a bunch of new engines for my model railroad and a new 75 gallon aquarium to add to my 3 other aquariums,
Whew were did i ever find the time to go to work.
So you see "retiringat50" things just come together and you will end up doing what you want to do.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiringat50 View Post
Should I actually plan on taking a few weeks/month off before I start to get busy again?
No. Give yourself the rest of your life before you start "to get busy again."

18 months into ER, I frequently find myself actively engaged in things I enjoy, but, if I can help it, I'll never be "busy again."
Old 01-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

ER'd for seven months. My advice is: if you have to do something, do; otherwise don't.
Jake46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:13 PM   #6

I've been retired for 2 months. Other than making sure I get some exercise, I pretty much do what I want.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
No. Give yourself the rest of your life before you start "to get busy again."

........I frequently find myself actively engaged in things I enjoy, but, if I can help it, I'll never be "busy again."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake46 View Post
ER'd for seven months. My advice is: if you have to do something, do; otherwise don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
.......Whew were did i ever find the time to go to work.
So you see "retiringat50" things just come together and you will end up doing what you want to do.
Relax...Enjoy.....then Relax some more! Do what you want, when you want.....IF you want! I figure if there's something that I HAVE to get done, it will get done....eventually!

Quote:
In the mean time i just bought a bunch of new engines for my model railroad.....
I just got a huge UPS shipment from Caboose Hobbies yesterday! Including a bunch of stuff for the redesigning and rebuilding of my engine servicing facilities. So if those locos ever pass through north central IL, there'll be service facilities available.....steam or diesel.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...day-30655.html

The short answer to your questions is: Before ER, one of people's top worries is their concern over how they'll fill their time. After ER, those same people wonder what the heck they were worrying about.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...day-30655.html

The short answer to your questions is: Before ER, one of people's top worries is their concern over how they'll fill their time. After ER, those same people wonder what the heck they were worrying about.
Ain't that the truth ....

Somedays, there is not enough time to get my "retirement stuff" done!

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Yep

Going into my 15th year of ER - I plan to get busy any day now - yessir by cracky. Unless of course I do nothing in particular too much and don't get started.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I just got a huge UPS shipment from Caboose Hobbies yesterday! Including a bunch of stuff for the redesigning and rebuilding of my engine servicing facilities. So if those locos ever pass through north central IL, there'll be service facilities available.....steam or diesel.
Just packed away all the N scale stuff and am now starting in HO again,time period mid to late fifties so early Diesel late steam Canadian Pacific,just bought a Proto 2000 series SW8 for the yard work,and once the project gets rolling an F7 or F9,as for steam probably one of the Hudsons..
Old 01-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll post a dissenting vote. I am retiring this year and plan to plunge immediately into research, writing, humanitarian and religious service, travel, photography, and marathoning. I want to look back on my retirement years with the knowledge that I have used my time fully and effectively. I'm retiring not to run away from work or from the profession I love but to develop and serve in other areas and in other ways.
ScottFromUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I really liked one guy's response to the question "How do you like retirement?" His response was classic:

"Well, when I get up in the morning I have to make a decision. Shall I go golfing or shall I go fishing? After that the day's all set".

Other people wouldn't be comfortable with that, only you can decide. But if retirement isn't what you want you can find something else to do. The luxury is that you don't have to be overly concerned with how much it pays.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Easy transition for me being an avid golfer. Twenty minute drive to the course, warm up before the round, play golf, shoot the $hit with my buddies at the 19th hole, drive home and I have killed half the day. Do whatever I want the rest of the day and before you know it, the day is gone. Didn't play today just to take a break so I washed my car, picked up pecans in my front yard, ran a few errands, got on the internet to see how much more my stocks tanked and before you know it, time for dinner.

Don't worry about trying to establish a schedule in order to stay busy. If you have any interest at all, it will just naturally happen.

Enjoy your retirement!
Old 01-08-2008, 10:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Just packed away all the N scale stuff and am now starting in HO again,time period mid to late fifties so early Diesel late steam Canadian Pacific,just bought a Proto 2000 series SW8 for the yard work,and once the project gets rolling an F7 or F9,as for steam probably one of the Hudsons..
I have a stable full of Proto 2000's....assorted GP's, SD's, SW's, and a fleet of E-units. They're nice runners, and look good. I model, freelance-style, the CB&Q in the late 1950's through late 1960's, with an interchange with the Rock Island. Almost all diesel, although I have a few brass steamers....a yard switcher, and a couple for fan-trips.

I'm currently redesigning the engine facilities to replace my freelanced engine house and shops, with the Walthers Diesel House (933-2916) and Machine Shop (933-2902). Both were part of that shipment from Caboose Hobbies.

This is my 40th year of model railroading. It's always been a fun hobby, but it's even more so now that I have NO time constraints!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:36 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
As you have already noted in the responses so far there is no right answer....only the one that works for you and your situation. But, my advice would be to allow your body to relax and de-tox and de-stress for as long as it needs to do so. Years of stress, poor eating habits, loss of sleep, and going 1000 mph all the time takes a toll on your body, your mind and your spirit. Give yourself the gift of time doing very little to nothing for as long as you need it and then see what you want to do the rest of your life.

Look at it as being in a metamorphic state; much like a butterfly. The body changes to adapt to the new life-purpose and it requires some "cocoon time" to do it for most folks. Once you have emerged you should have the energy and focus to do whatever you truly want to do.

Retirement is not about doing nothing.....it is about doing what YOU want to do without the millstone of w*rk around your neck. Find what you want to do and then go do it.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:56 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Decided in Dec that I'll be retiring at 50 end of June this year.
So right away I was looking at how I'll fill some of my time.
I just retired a few weeks ago, and all I have done is lay around and sleep with the occasional workout.

Still tired too, but feeling better overall as body catches up with sleep.

I would spend a few weeks just relaxing, letting it all soak in.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:09 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Easy transition for me being an avid golfer. Twenty minute drive to the course, warm up before the round, play golf, shoot the $hit with my buddies at the 19th hole, drive home and I have killed half the day. Do whatever I want the rest of the day and before you know it, the day is gone. Didn't play today just to take a break so I washed my car, picked up pecans in my front yard, ran a few errands, got on the internet to see how much more my stocks tanked and before you know it, time for dinner.
Dawg, this sounds like an excellent way to pass the days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithAllMyHeart View Post
I'll post a dissenting vote. I am retiring this year and plan to plunge immediately into research, writing, humanitarian and religious service, travel, photography, and marathoning. I want to look back on my retirement years with the knowledge that I have used my time fully and effectively. I'm retiring not to run away from work or from the profession I love but to develop and serve in other areas and in other ways.
Wow. I get tired just reading about it.
Ha
Old 01-09-2008, 08:02 AM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

I started retirement thinking I had to stay busy so I took classes ,started selling on ebay ,cleaned all my closets and then I slept for about six months .Now I go at a more relaxed pace I don't feel the urgent need to accomplish things .Hey I accomplished a lot .I worked for thirty nine years while raising a family ,keeping a house ,cooking and remodeling now it's my time to chill.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

OMG Yes!!!!

We only planed one trip which we scheduled a couple of weeks after retiring.

After that I didn't require myself to plan anything. We did stuff much more on the spur of the moment. Besides, we had all sorts of local stuff to enjoy that we couldn't while working, and we had a sailboat to enjoy out on the lake when no one else was out there!

As time went on we gradually planned more and more stuff.

It took about 6 months to really get "decompressed" from work stresses, so I took it very easy during that time period.

It was really more like a year before I felt like I really "hit my stride" retirement-wise where I wasn't recovering anymore and was focused on making plans and getting all sorts of fun stuff done.

But I had to push myself with schedules and overwork for decades with my career. A big part of ER was being able to be spontaneous and not running myself ragged anymore.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote