Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-24-2017, 03:29 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Thanks for that. I don't feel quite so much of an outlier, or oddity, now. I think it all started with the self-help books and articles a number of years ago that encouraged readers to "find their passion". This sort of thinking has spread into the mainstream, so that the word "passion" has become something of a buzzword. We're all supposed to be living our lives with passion, or the suggestion is that we are wasting our time on earth.

It seems to be an American thing. Everything has to be experienced "to the max". It's all about being #1, winning, going all the way, etc. There are no grey areas, and there's no subtlety.
Astute observations. Never really thought much about this but I think you are on to something. Everything seems to be in excess. I was watching some football on the weekend. It’s starting to grate on me a bit. It’s just too much. Over the top. It’s only a game , entertainment. But the commentators and the players act like someone just cured cancer. Just one example. There are many.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2017, 03:29 AM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Thanks for that. I don't feel quite so much of an outlier, or oddity, now. I think it all started with the self-help books and articles a number of years ago that encouraged readers to "find their passion". This sort of thinking has spread into the mainstream, so that the word "passion" has become something of a buzzword. We're all supposed to be living our lives with passion, or the suggestion is that we are wasting our time on earth.

I definitely don't want to sound like a cynic or a killjoy, because I'm not. I have a sense of wonder about the world. There are things that interest me, and activities that I become quite engrossed in. Like you though, I think that "passion" is often overstating the case a bit. The problem I have with all this hyperbole in the way we express ourselves is that it sets unrealistic expectations (if I am not feeling great passions, have I failed?) It also robs people of the right to experience a wide range of different subtle levels of engagement (if I'm not experiencing maximum passion, it's not legitimate).

It seems to be an American thing. Everything has to be experienced "to the max". It's all about being #1, winning, going all the way, etc. There are no grey areas, and there's no subtlety.

My gosh, now I sound like a grumpy old goat!

I'm American, but you perfectly described how I experience life. A fairly constant contentment. No super highs, no depressing lows. Just drifting along evenly. I've also considered therapy because I thought I am maybe missing something? I told some friends in real life this once and they were appalled that I don't have highs and lows.
ohyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:40 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My passions are listed in my "About Me" section. I am really at my happiest outdoors in nature (if the weather is nice).
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:14 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyouknow View Post
I'm American, but you perfectly described how I experience life. A fairly constant contentment. No super highs, no depressing lows. Just drifting along evenly. I've also considered therapy because I thought I am maybe missing something? I told some friends in real life this once and they were appalled that I don't have highs and lows.
I know what you mean. I think I process emotions differently from many others and although I don't think it's really a problem, it's different enough from the way a lot of others around me experience their world, that I've thought I'd like some help in "owning" it. I know who I am and how to be myself but often, when others are involved, it all gets a bit squirelly

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:17 AM   #25

Game of Go (aka Baduk, Wei-qui), Golf, Vegetable gardening, Documentary - science, history
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:41 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I definitely don't want to sound like a cynic or a killjoy, because I'm not. I have a sense of wonder about the world. There are things that interest me, and activities that I become quite engrossed in. Like you though, I think that "passion" is often overstating the case a bit. The problem I have with all this hyperbole in the way we express ourselves is that it sets unrealistic expectations (if I am not feeling great passions, have I failed?) It also robs people of the right to experience a wide range of different subtle levels of engagement (if I'm not experiencing maximum passion, it's not legitimate).

I agree completely. When I worked as a lawyer in government, passion became a huge buzzword. It became the rule that to be considered for a career in my field, one had to express great passion for the clients and work we did. I always maintained that basic competence was much more important, particularly to the clients. But that's not glamorous and garners no awards. Don't get me wrong, I cared about my clients and doing a good job. I just think that doing a job passionately does not always equate to a job well done, and often those who claim greatest passion are just faking it anyway.
Persn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:08 PM   #27

Quote:

You can put me on this list too.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Do you have a passion?
Old 10-24-2017, 03:27 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you have a passion?

I’m definitely pro- passion if we’re score keeping.

Life is a banquet..and most poor bast@rds are starving to death. -Auntie Mame
woodguy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:42 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

i'm definitely in the "even-keel-about-life-in-general" camp, however the one activity I love is golf. Not sure if it's a passion or obsession, but I love hitting the ball, walking (or riding) to it, and hitting it again. Over and over. Here in New England I do that about 20 times a month from mid-April to mid-November.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:09 PM   #30

Quote:

Include me in the grumpy old goat club.

I can't say I have "passions" that I follow. I've been interested in aviation and flying machines for as long as I can remember, but I never wanted to make a career of it. But I did get my private pilot's license and owned an airplane for a couple of years. I'm quite content with small R/C models that I fly in the back yard a few times a week weather permitting. One of the "lessons learned" when I was flying much larger R/C models was that it was, for me, 90% of the fun of full size airplanes for a small fraction of the cost. Obviously that is not a path for everyone.

Another interest is photography and I've posted about that before. As with aviation I've had an interest in it all my life but never had the time/money to develop the interest until about ten years ago. Digital photography made experimentation free and that was a factor too.

I have a DSLR, about five lenses for it, four strobe lights, tripods, umbrellas and other stuff, and at family gatherings I'm the guy taking photos. I'll admit it is flattering to see one of my photos framed and mounted on someone's wall. But I have no interest in making it a job. Then it's not a hobby, it's work, and I'm done with that.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:39 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
My passions are listed in my "About Me" section. I am really at my happiest outdoors in nature (if the weather is nice).
Funny! Some of the best days I have had have had highs of teens to maybe low 20s. I had a great day stomping in the woods a couple years ago at 20 degrees with snow coming down the whole time.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:24 PM   #32

Love the outdoors in all seasons and being there with family and DD. Also love learning and trying to impart this passion to others.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:56 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

When I was younger, passions were easier to come by (wait, that doesn’t sound right) than now. Or at least I feel less of the “high” when pursuing just about anything I have a keen interest in.

I’m definitely a dilettante, and right now my interests are: renovating our school bus for upcoming travel plans, disaster relief training, and looking for a rental property.

I was a passionate horseback rider in my youth, competing in this realm to the exclusion of nearly all other interests. I don’t know if I could ever again be that focused on just one thing.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:36 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Funny! Some of the best days I have had have had highs of teens to maybe low 20s. I had a great day stomping in the woods a couple years ago at 20 degrees with snow coming down the whole time.
Like Brewer, I love being outdoors. My top 2 passions are running and bicycling. Downside to these passions is that if I am injured or sick (alas, something that seems to happen too frequently)I get into a funk 'coz I can't do either one. But then a nice walk, regardless of temps or precipitation, lift my spirits.
I should add that several months ago I restarted a very old passion of mine, Duplicate Bridge, and I'm now hooked on that again.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:33 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I can see where falling snow can be fun if you are dressed for it...it makes the air smell great, too...but how about pouring rain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:37 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

This is an easy one. I have an insatiable passion for all things that encompass a leisurely life...and ER certainly helps fulfill that.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:43 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I love teaching as a means to help others develop.
Tekward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I don't really have any passions... I sort of wish that I did.

If any, they would friends and family and golf.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:50 AM   #39

My hobby job (passion) involves buying interesting items at yard sales, then selling them on ebay. Lots of fun, and nice money, too. (Once found a "doughboy" helmet from WWI and sold it to a man who had it refurbished, and gave it as a retirement gift to his Major (in the reserves). Pretty cool. Also have a passion for spending winters in the sun, down south.

I used to have a passion for real estate, when working full time as a Realtor. But the meltdown of housing in 2007 kind of took the wind out of those sails. I still enjoy it now and then, but really don't dwell on it like I used to.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:02 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I had a passion for a number of years working as a career counselor, testing clients and helping people with disabilities return to work. Eventually the passion part ended and I retired. Then a year later I was asked to teach a online college class that combined social work and disabilities and I decided to try it. I found out that I love it and will probably never quit doing that.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote