Join Early Retirement Today

Do You Have a Rainy Day Passion?
Old 11-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Do You Have a Rainy Day Passion?

If the weather is decent, I like to spend my free time hiking, biking, fishing or driving country roads. But on rainy, wet or snowy days thatís not an option for me. At such times, I like watching DVD movies and I love reading history books. But my real rainy day passion is playing computer strategy war games.*

Those games can so completely suck me in that I can forget to stop to eat. Sometimes Iíll even find myself still playing when the sun comes up the next day.

Does one of your fun-time activities pull you in like that? Have you got a rainy day passion of your own that you would like to share?

Alex in Virginia

*Iím not talking about shoot-them-up fantasy games where you guide a character around the computer screen blasting away at anything that moves. Iím talking about grand-scale historical games where you command whole armies and navies as they really were in battles and campaigns as they really started to happen. (I say ďstarted to happenĒ because then your command decisions change history!)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #2

My outdoor activities are similar to yours, but I don't fish much. On nasty days, I do some woodworking, play with my camera, surf online, and watch tv

Old 11-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love rainy/snowy days. We get a hot fire going in the wood stove, cook chili on top of the stove (or a stew/soup) and read our favorite magazines, books and websites. It only rains here in the fall/winter and it is a great excuse to stay in jamis all day Retirement is the bomb!!
Old 11-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I love to watch the rain coming down so I do a little bit of that. The rest of time, I try to catch up with any household chores. I recently got into Netflix and will likely surf and watch what it has to offer.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #5

Lots of indoor days coming soon in MN. I like to prepare some slow-cooking food (soup, chili, casserole) so that it smells wonderful and heats up the house. As it is cooking I like to snuggle under an afghan with the two cats and read. Favorites these days are non-fiction: history, true crime, etc. I also like to have chocolate and wine (or a hot toddy) on hand.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
I love rainy/snowy days. We get a hot fire going in the wood stove, cook chili on top of the stove (or a stew/soup) and read our favorite magazines, books and websites. It only rains here in the fall/winter and it is a great excuse to stay in jamis all day Retirement is the bomb!!
Reading one of my military or ancient history books will keep me interested for about 4 hours max before I get edgy and start looking for something else to do. But playing one of my strategy war games has the opposite effect. The longer I play, the more I get involved in it. Many is the night when the urge to do "one more turn" of the game has -- one turn at a time -- kept me awake playing all night.

What (if anything) can have that effect -- while having fun, of course -- on you?

Alex in Virginia
Old 11-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

On cold, dreary, rainy days I like to turn on the fire and read a book, play gin with DH, do a jigsaw puzzle, watch movies, or surf the web.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm an inveterate reader - of both books and internet forums. That's my primary pastime on rainy days.

What computer strategy games do you like, Alex?
Old 11-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
I'm an inveterate reader - of both books and internet forums. That's my primary pastime on rainy days.

What computer strategy games do you like, Alex?

I have been playing the same 4 games for the last 10 years or more, and I've yet to tire of them -- probably because each of these games includes as many as 20 separate scenarios, each replicating a different real historical battle.

War In The Pacific: For example, think of being in supreme command of all the actual Allied ground, sea and air forces on December 6, 1941 and going forward from there for the next year to try and stop the Japanese juggernaut. Or put yourself in command of that juggernaut.

Civil War Generals: For example, think of being in command of the actual Army of Northern Virginia on July 1, 1863 as it approaches the sleepy Pennsylvania town of Gettysburg and starts encountering signs of federal troop movements.

The Great Battles of Hannibal: For example, think of being in command of the actual Roman legions at Cannae in 216 B.C. as you face Carthageís Iberians, Gauls and war elephants.

Vikings: For this one, let your fantasy fly (yep, this one is fantasy but played on a historically accurate world tableau within a historically accurate politico-cultural context) and think of being a 16-year-old newly ascended one-town Norwegian jarl in 800 A.D. as you embark on a years-long struggle to unite Norway into a single kingdom and then go on to forge Norway, Sweden and Denmark into a Scandinavian Empire.

What can I say. Adventure, suspense, excitement, drama. To me, this is FUN STUFF!

Alex in Virginia
Old 11-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Reading
Beading
British detective shows on Netflix.

I can lose myself in any of the above on a rainy day.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Old movies and surfing the net.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #12

A rainy day passion?

Yup, Rainy Day Women #12 & 35.

shhhhh... don't tell nobody
Old 11-27-2013, 03:34 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Gordon Lightfoot....."Rainy Day People"...From......get ready ...1975!!!!

Take a listen.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Reading
Beading

As I said at the start of this thread, I like movie watching and I love reading. I'm not surprised that a lot of the folks replying have mentioned both of those activities. But I was really hoping to see more interactive activities brought into the discussion.

My wife beads, so I know that beading qualifies as interactive. And I know that doing it requires focus, concentration and creative decision-making -- which are all a big part of the mental challenge I find in playing my strategy war games.

How many fighter planes do I send out with my U.S. Enterprise dive bombers and how many do I hold back to fly combat air patrol over the taskforce? Do I dig in my troops at Little Round Top or are they now too tired and demoralized to withstand another Confederate attack? Have I loaded enough food on my longships to feed my Viking warriors until we reach England? Loads of questions. Lots of decisions. And then comes the suspense and the excitement of seeing the game turn play itself out and learning whether those decisions worked or not.

Like you said, I can lose myself in that.

Alex in Virginia
Old 11-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It rained so infrequently here, so if I have a rain passion it would wither and die in between rainy days.

So, all my passions, if any, are of all-weather types.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:23 AM   #16

Reading, guitar playing, studying on the internet. If the rains not too bad can still go out for walks. If all else fails, jump in the truck camper and go somewhere it's not raing.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:59 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It rained so infrequently here, so if I have a rain passion it would wither and die in between rainy days.

So, all my passions, if any, are of all-weather types.

Okay... and what are those passions?

So far, we've got reading, movie watching, beading, playing card games, cooking good-smelling stuff that takes long to cook, guitar-playing, internet surfing, and catching up on chores (which I for one cannot believe). And, of course, my beloved strategy war gaming (that no one seems too curious about).

Can you add a rainy day (or not) passion of your own?

Alex in Virginia
Old 11-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Reading
Beading

Calico...what do you do with the jewelry items that you make? I too "bead" but am struggling to justify it as I don't have an interest in selling. There is only so much jewelry that I can wear or give as gifts. Fortunately I have quite a stash of beads and supplies so I am at least not buying more stuff
Old 12-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Reading, scanning books from the library,
Going to financial websites.. reading about investments & retirement articles.
Going to the gym, and if weather is real nasty, use the basement Treadmill and Elliptical.
Finally on long winter days, I turn on the old MSFT flight simulator, I like to fly a 737 jet, from say, Boston Logan to NY La Guardia, or from Amsterdam to
London, or LA to San Diego.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #20
Administrator

1. Animal Crossing. This has got to be #1, for me! Love this game and this would be my top answer to the question. I don't like war games if they are very realistic so (while I don't mind slaying a few orcs from time to time) I haven't bought anything like Call of Duty. I prefer very low stress games.

2. Podcasts on a variety of topics, often while playing computer solitaire.
3. Reading.
4. Browsing on Amazon.
5. Playing with my Excel (financial) spreadsheet, FIRECalc, etc.
6. Exploring the world via the internet. Google streetview, for example.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computer games, indoor activities, rainy days, retired lifestyle, what do to in retirement