Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-09-2008, 06:53 AM   #21

Right now it's dealing with FIL's house that hasn't had much maintenance done on it for 20+ years and getting it ready for sale (going to be tough in the current market). So the whole top floor is getting painted and one basement room that had a mold issue was stripped down to the concrete floor and cinder block walls. The source of the water was found and corrected and with two 65/pint/day dehumidifiers running the humidity is finally down to 35%.

Found him a decent and affordable car when he wrecked his.

Arranged for financing for all the home improvement projects.

Apparently dealing with one crisis after another is something I'm good at, or so the family says.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2008, 08:45 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
The ultimate goal for every (senior) is to shoot their age, preferably on an 18 hole regulation course. My Dad did it first at 76 and at least once in his 80's and he's still playing 2-3 times/week at age 86...go Dad!
I'm 52, and just starting out. My immediate goal is to shoot double my age. Or at least play a hole with a score that has a name. I don't think "quintuple bogey" counts.

Harley

Old 07-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Doctor, early in retirement I only picked up litter off of the road into our rural neighborhood. Then I started picking up litter from the forest when we hiked there. The following year, I volunteered two days every week to help clean some local forest service campgrounds. Now when I go to Flagstaff to cut fallen trees off of hiking trails above the 9500' elevation trailhead, the average age of the volunteer trail crew is over age 60. I volunteer with two other trail maintenance organizations with equally old members. One guy thinks he was the first over-age-70 to hike all 800 miles of the Arizona Trail. I'm only 58 and I can't keep up with those geezers, so should I go get a job to avoid that embarassment? Tell me, Doctor, what do you think is my retirement problem? I'm having trouble finding the time to go backpacking.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:16 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hmmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyou View Post
Doctor, early in retirement I only picked up litter off of the road into our rural neighborhood. Then I started picking up litter from the forest when we hiked there. The following year, I volunteered two days every week to help clean some local forest service campgrounds. Now when I go to Flagstaff to cut fallen trees off of hiking trails above the 9500' elevation trailhead, the average age of the volunteer trail crew is over age 60. I volunteer with two other trail maintenance organizations with equally old members. One guy thinks he was the first over-age-70 to hike all 800 miles of the Arizona Trail. I'm only 58 and I can't keep up with those geezers, so should I go get a job to avoid that embarassment? Tell me, Doctor, what do you think is my retirement problem? I'm having trouble finding the time to go backpacking.
You're too busy -- retire more!

-- Rita
Old 07-10-2008, 02:46 AM   #25

To the OP

uh?, no!

I ER'd so I could do what I want,that includes 'nothing'. 'Nothing' has a bit of a ring to it, I think I like it! Lock me up, I'm not patriotic (or American).
Old 07-11-2008, 01:26 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

This is an interesting question. I would have said no, since ERing I have been lazing around and poking my nose into a lot of different areas, on a very casual basis. After thinking about the OP question though, and completing some naval contemplation, I would have to say Yes. I have been driven by the realization of time freedom to explore casual interests, learning opportunities, and even exploring some odd ball financial opportunities. All of these, have been approached with a relaxed feeling of "if I can't get the particular thing done this week, then next week or even next month is fine as well. Recent accomplishments included taking the class for a CHL, something I've wanted to do for several years, I just wouldn't devote the time to do it. I'm actively engaged in sourcing a decent but affordable MIG welder, and attempting to locate reasonable training in the basics of welding - again something I've thought about off and on for 30 years or so, just never would take the resources and time to pursue it. You get the idea. I suppose I'm driven by the the realization of finally having the freedom of time and resources to pursue those nagging little things that I have often thought of through the years, but the pressures of job, family time, finances, and patience to follow through, just were in such short supply, that I put them off till later.
Later is Now!
Old 07-11-2008, 07:56 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
What have you found for a reason to keep going, what drives you now?
- Volunteer adult literacy tutoring;
- Working out;
- Enjoying the outdoors (summer: hiking and kayaking; winter: snowshoeing, X-C skiing);
- Serving as "Service Officer" for the local American Legion post. This involves helping people with paperwork such as applications for for VA medical care; managing/distributing a garage full of donated medical equipment that we lend out to local residents; chairing the Scholarship Committee);
- Traveling from time to time;
- Yard work.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:56 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestick View Post
I'm actively engaged in sourcing a decent but affordable MIG welder, and attempting to locate reasonable training in the basics of welding - again something I've thought about off and on for 30 years or so, just never would take the resources and time to pursue it.
For the training you might check with your local community college (if there's one around). Our CC offers all levels of welding training, from very basic through advanced and specialized.

My Grandad, who was a welder at a shipyard during WWII and continued welding well into his 70's, went to the CC and took some welding classes just to see if there was anything new that he could pick up on......in his late 60's. His college instructor had been taught to weld by an instructor that my Grandad had taught to weld shortly after his stint at the shipyard.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:16 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Great story Goonie
Fortunately since I have time now, it is needed to find these classes. I indeed tried the local CC and the local high schools, a few of which even have shop, but no joy. It seems that either the school systems are so far out of touch with the community, that they refuse to offer after hours classes for non-high school age kids, or they just don't offer those shop type of classes. So far I have found 1 CC and 1 high school that does offer it, but they are over 35 miles away, and the classes are spread over several months, all late at night. And they are not in the best part of the areas, sort of why I completed the CHL first. Seems that there are some disadvantages to living in the tech corridor of far North Dallas. A serious lack of trade school type of training. I even talked to the few local welding shops and they claim to be either self taught or trained by military or shop training, many years ago. But as the OP's original question, it is a drive of mine to find it, so now that I have the time to pursue, I will continue the hunt.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

The epiphany a couple years ago in my own life was that ER isn’t what I really want, even though I thought it was what I wanted for many years as I worked tirelessly toward that goal. In my case, I realized as soon as I had it that what I really wanted was the freedom to pursue my passions as work, regardless of how much or how little income they generate; the freedom to be “selfishly employed,” as I like to say. Obviously FI doesn’t always involve ER, even though in my simple mind I failed to separate the two for many years.

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager
Old 07-12-2008, 08:36 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

DW and I have started turning recycling into a hobby. It's short term, and will go on autopilot soon, but we're trying to get down to one bag of landfill trash/week. The recycling part is easy, just take some bins and chuck stuff in the appropriate one. We're also starting a worm composter to take care of all our non-meat food wastes. We live in an area where the ground is just dead sand, and since we love to garden and landscape we've decided to "terraform" the wasteland so we can actually grow things. The worm castings will help a lot. And we have dogs to take care of the meat waste, and eat half of ours too

It's sort of fun, and we feel good about it. It certainly doesn't "drive" us though. I don't think anything drives us. We're just keeping busy with whatever strikes our fancy, and having a lot of fun. Maybe someday we'll get bored, but I really don't see it happening anytime soon.

Harley
Old 07-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Jeff, I totally understand . I retired and found I needed something to occupy my time . I had no interest in anything that would require an alarm clock or a scheldue . I was not ready for volunteering and I had taken a few classes . That's when I discovered that I really enjoy seling on ebay . As a child I always had a little business going selling my comics or whatever so maybe this was a buried passion . I can spend as much or as little time as I want on it . I don't need the extra money so it's in a seperate account and will be spent on my daughter & grandson .
Old 07-12-2008, 08:51 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Jeff, I totally understand . I retired and found I needed something to occupy my time . I had no interest in anything that would require an alarm clock or a scheldue . I was not ready for volunteering and I had taken a few classes . That's when I discovered that I really enjoy seling on ebay . As a child I always had a little business going selling my comics or whatever so maybe this was a buried passion . I can spend as much or as little time as I want on it . I don't need the extra money so it's in a seperate account and will be spent on my daughter & grandson .
M - That's exactly the type of "selfish emlpoyment" I'm talking about ... the kind of thing you probably wouldn't/shouldn't quit a "real job" to pursue earlier in life, but you can enjoy once you have FI. And who knows, sometimes - once you allow yourself the freedom of not caring about the money - the money will come to you easier than you might think. If nothing else, this type of activity makes you worry a little less about your investments, since you start to have a least a modest income stream on the side.

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager
Old 07-12-2008, 06:10 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a View Post
Gave blood today (I do it every 8 weeks).

- Ron
As a person who received blood on numerous occasions (and who couldn't ever give any), thanks.

It saved my life at least twice and there's nothing else quite like that new blood feeling! One time, I was in such poor shape before getting blood that I could barely breathe and lift my head at the same time. Two pints later (and a day and a half) and I was jet-skiing again.

Mike D. - happy to still be here.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Mike , Thanks for the good reminder to give blood . I think I'll do it next week .
Old 07-12-2008, 06:21 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
As a person who recieved blood on numerous occasions (and who couldn't ever give any), thanks.

It saved my life at least twice and there's nothing else quite like that new blood feeling! One time, I was in such poor shape before getting blood that I could barely breathe and lift my head at the same time. Two pints later (and a day and a half) and I was jet-skiing again.

Mike D. - happy to still be here.

Mike -

Glad to hear it, though watch the jet skiing, as it kills more folks (including innocent bystandards) than any other type of watersport. Just hate to see that "new blood" go to waste.

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager
Old 07-12-2008, 06:26 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Cheapskate View Post
In my case, I realized as soon as I had it that what I really wanted was the freedom to pursue my passions as work, regardless of how much or how little income they generate; the freedom to be “selfishly employed,” as I like to say.
By any chance, Jeff, have you learned how to surf yet?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:27 PM   #38

I took a Master Gardener program through the Cooperative Extension program locally. I now am the project leader of an organic vegetable garden where we teach the public about vegetable gardening. That can take anywhere from 6 to 19 hours a week.

Besides learning how to vegetable garden, I get free organic vegetables, fruits and grapes for doing the work. It's a good trade off.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
By any chance, Jeff, have you learned how to surf yet?

Nords -

"Couch Surf," yes (see post under "Travel"). To each their own.

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager
Old 07-14-2008, 07:31 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
As a person who received blood on numerous occasions (and who couldn't ever give any), thanks.
Thanks for your words! Good to hear from somebody who's on the "receiving end".

- Ron