Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-14-2008, 10:19 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I don't see how anyone with a house and a yard would lack for something to do.
Agreed. Still living in a house we had built 31 years ago, I do almost all maintenance, repairs, minor upgrades myself. I figure it saves me several kilobucks a year and there is always something or the other on the list I could be doing. It's just enough to make me appreciate afternoon naps and other leisure time.......

"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
The ultimate goal for every (senior) is to shoot their age, preferably on an 18 hole regulation course. My Dad did it first at 76 and at least once in his 80's and he's still playing 2-3 times/week at age 86...go Dad!
That's great! I hope I'm alive and playing at 86. Not playing today, need a rest. Played 5 straight days last week. ER sure is tough.

Full time wuss............
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:28 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by retiringat50 View Post
Im thinking I'm going to be needing something to drive me now that Ive given up my paid job.
Thinking maybe get more involved in working out (but first need docs approval as I just had foot surgery 6wks ago)
maybe volunteer?

What have you found for a reason to keep going, what drives you now?
Well, my wife, whom I married 38 years ago was raised in a country environment which she always wanted to get back to. So, almost 10 years ago after $$$ rat race careers in big cities yada yada, we ER'd and moved to 7 acres in SW Oregon and started a little goat farm (they are so cute). So what drives me now? Well, the rooster starts at about 5:30 am shortly thereafter the ducks and the geese join in and the baby goats want their mamas and....THAT'S WHAT DRIVES ME OUT OF BED IN THE MORNING! Plus a swift kick furnished by my lovely wife....
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:02 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...
I drive a big rig, full time.

audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:45 AM   #45
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
Well, there's always the DW "driving" things (just kidding, dear)...

We've always tried to be involved in local organizations that actually do something where we live - as opposed to the "name" organizations that look good on the social resume but don't get things done - but while I was w%rk!ng, it was difficult/impossible to find enough time. Now that we do have time, we've become very involved in the HOA on the lake where we live. Badgering governmental agencies, helping residents work through the bureaucratic maze, trying to restore the lake to its former healthy condition, etc.

Volunteering can be almost as frustrating as w%rk!ng, and you can put in as many hours as you've got available. A lot of folks who have great skills shy away from jumping in, but there's always more than enough to do. The psychic rewards can be sizable, and it keeps me out of the house!
Help me out...DW = _____ Wife

Thanks, Dave
Finance Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:56 AM   #46
I'm not ER'd yet, so perhaps you don't want to hear from me...but I have thought about what I'll do. I plan to "rehire", so I will work at a low-stress job ("ok boss, which way do I push the broom now?") for 2-3 days a week just to keep some social relationships, keep some structure to my life, and give me a little extra spending cash. (I'm exaggerating about the type of job...but I certainly won't work in the corporate world...rather something fun that pays about minimum wage).

In addition, I see retirement as peppered with some travel (3-4 weeks/year), trips to see family (1-2 weeks/year), hobbies (I do woodworking, attend car shows, and personal finance things are interesting to me), social clubs (likely form a euchre club, join a bowling league), some volunteer work, and spending some relaxing time with my wife.

In addition, there are a few things I've wanted to do all my life, but never had the time or that will change. Call these part of travel if you like, but I see them as more experiental. For example, learning scuba diving, driving a Ferrarri, riding an elephant, driving a Zamboni machine, being at a major stock market while it's active (not necessarily on the floor, but at least watching through a window), touring certain types of manufacturing plants (would love to see how they make potato chips and get a free sample at the end), visit some famous roadside tourist things (have you ever seen the large rubber stamp in Cleveland? ), taking a high-performance driving course, seeing a football game in every stadium in the US (already have been to 6, so only about 18 more to go), go to the Tonight Show taping, etc. (think I'll start a new thread on this)

Many of those will have to be done early...I don't want to be trapesing (sp?) through Australia looking at Ayers Rock when I'm 92. But that's my ER plan is about 53 (currently 46).

As you can see, it's pretty spread out.
Finance Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:06 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
Help me out...DW = _____ Wife

Thanks, Dave
Lessee, depending on the circumstances you could add any adjective, but it's normally "Dear", "Darling", Dearest", or anything else I can get away with...

Back in the day, it was "dependent wife", but that dog don't hunt anymore.

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be crazy by those who could not hear the music. Friedrich Nietzsche.
OldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote