Join Early Retirement Today

do you have something that "drives you" now that you dont work?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

do you have something that "drives you" now that you dont work?

Im thinking I'm going to be needing something to drive me now that Ive given up my paid job.
Thinking maybe get more involved in working out (but first need docs approval as I just had foot surgery 6wks ago)
maybe volunteer?

What have you found for a reason to keep going, what drives you now?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, there's always the DW "driving" things (just kidding, dear)...

We've always tried to be involved in local organizations that actually do something where we live - as opposed to the "name" organizations that look good on the social resume but don't get things done - but while I was w%rk!ng, it was difficult/impossible to find enough time. Now that we do have time, we've become very involved in the HOA on the lake where we live. Badgering governmental agencies, helping residents work through the bureaucratic maze, trying to restore the lake to its former healthy condition, etc.

Volunteering can be almost as frustrating as w%rk!ng, and you can put in as many hours as you've got available. A lot of folks who have great skills shy away from jumping in, but there's always more than enough to do. The psychic rewards can be sizable, and it keeps me out of the house!

Old 07-08-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I volunteer at the animal shelter. This includes many things such as updating the Petfinder adoption site, fostering cats and kittens, and helping out at the shelter. In addition, I'm on the board of a 501(c)(3) group formed to help the shelter do things it can't as an agency of the local government. We conduct fund raising activities and have paid for special surgery for an injured dog, new cages for the rabbits, special blankets for the animal cages and many other things.

I like it because I can control how much or little I do. Everytime I look into the face of an animal we helped, it makes me feel needed. I've got 2 little kittens right now who are too young to adopt. Everytime I go in their room, they come running and just purr up a storm when I hold them. Never got that kind of "feedback" from my paying job!

I have thought about helping my local wheels on meals organization. I heard they are loosing volunteers because of the increase in gas prices. I'd hate to think of an elderly, house bound person deprived of a meal and a little company.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiringat50 View Post
I've been a volunteer cop for almost 8 years. I love being able to give back to my community. There are many rewards in what I do. Every time I start to feel down in the dumps, my volunteer job reminds me that there are so many people in distress....it reminds me that I am truly fortunate.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Im thinking I'm going to be needing something to drive me now that Ive given up my paid job.
Um, dude, you're supposed to be in the driver's seat now. No chauffeurs or even designated drivers in ER. Your destination is "Your Own Entertainment" and it's a lifetime road trip.

Quote:
Thinking maybe get more involved in working out (but first need docs approval as I just had foot surgery 6wks ago)
The current workout favorite is "Younger Next Year", which has a few threads on this board that the search feature should be able to find. I've also found value in an old copy of "Body For Life", and Raddr's ER discussion board has many threads devoted to exercise programs.

Quote:
maybe volunteer?
Most local newspaper classified ads have a section called "volunteer match" or something similar. It's a long list of who needs help with what, and ideally they'd match your desires. Jeff Yeager has a chapter on managing volunteer expectations in "Ultimate Cheapskate", and spouse & I have found that we get more satisfaction from contributing our money than from our time. Ernie Zelinski also has a great feature called a "Get-A-Life Tree" in his book "How to Retire Happy, Wild, & Free". It looks like a wonderful brainstorming tool and I've had a copy of the tree on my desk for several years now, but I've been too busy to get around to doing anything with it.

I suspect that "What will I DO all day?!?" is one of the top three concerns of every ER-- right after healthcare & inflation. About six months into ER, however, the question has usually morphed into "What the hell was I worrying about?!?"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Interesting thread, just listening...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I re-joined the gym for the social aspect as well as the exercise . It has really giving structure to my days . I also started selling on ebay and Amazon . I really enjoy it . It's a hobby but a profitable hobby . I also take various classes mostly cooking or finances . This life just evolved and now I'm happy and busily occupied .
Old 07-08-2008, 02:51 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Gave blood today (I do it every 8 weeks). Something I said I would do when wor*ing, but never got around to it .

Also, deliver for the local Meals-on-Wheels organization (as a driver). During the summer, I'm on once a week. In the winter, I deliver 2x week (more "senior volunteers" head south after new years). Of course, I also get called once in awhile to "fill in"; especially since some folks have cut back on their multi-monthly deliveries due to the increased cost of fuel (I consider my time/fuel as just a "charitable contribution" - although I can't deduct it ).

Shortly after I retired (early last year), I thought I would do some work with the local consumer credit organization. They had a newspaper column on trying to set up a program for folks who were having "financial difficulties" and needed volunteers to instruct on some basic "money stuff", such as setting up budgets, how to get a credit report (and what the content meant), and general "family financial planning" subjects. Went to class, got "certified ", but never held any classes (there were only three of us that attended training sessions). I guess everybody is out "buying stuff" and don't need any help on their budgets !!!

There are a lot of good volunteer opportunities out there - you just have to try some out in order to get a "match" to what you are interested in, and "pay you back" (by giving you the feeling that you're doing something important).

- Ron
Old 07-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I suspect that "What will I DO all day?!?" is one of the top three concerns of every ER-- right after healthcare & inflation.
Maybe not EVERY ER....

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #10

Lots of hobbies keep me busy. Since I turned in the ball and chain job last fall I've built 7 pieces of furniture for the family room, got a bunch of outside projects done.

Spent Sunday and yesterday installing a section of bluestone sidewalk from the driveway to our side door.

Spent today power washing the driveway and a section of fence. More fence to do tomorrow if it's not raining.

The UPS guy delivered some low voltage recessed lights today for my latest project so will start wiring them up this evening.

Never a dull moment.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Zip, nothing, nada. I kinda get get sidetracked from being sidetracked off something I thought I wanted to do.

Do go to work out twice a week, practice Ju-jutsu, by the the time get through warmup, many sets of defense, combiantions, 38 or so formal single or double move takedowns (practiced both left and right handed) 2 hours or so passed. then do free weights, topped off by a 1/2 hour sauna, most of those mornings are gone. This is about the only only structured schedule. + daily 1/2 hour walks.

Then the are the occasional honeydoo jobs.

Good to be a lackadaisical master of my time. It was a long time coming.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #12

Nothing. I have idle hands.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:49 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Uh.... GOLF!!!

First, I was driven to break 100,

Then, I was driven to break 90,

Now, I'm driven to break 80

Then.... who knows?
Old 07-08-2008, 04:59 PM   #14

Work out, volunteer as a web master for a community council, garden and fish in the summers, sometimes write, travel as much as I can stand and/or afford, spend a lot more time with my DH.
I do mostly stuff I did a little bit of while working, but didn't have enough time for. I still don't have enough time for it all.
What do you enjoy doing now? It's ok to enjoy your life. As Colonel Norman Vaughn said, there's plenty of time to sleep when you're dead.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:24 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
maybe volunteer?

I have been working on myself: food (gardening/buying/preparing), exercise (slowly increasing weights).

Also feeding birds and squirrels.

I don't see how anyone with a house and a yard would lack for something to do.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney View Post
Lots of hobbies keep me busy........
......Never a dull moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I don't see how anyone with a house and a yard would lack for something to do.
Gardening, landscaping, feeding the wildlife, watching the wildlife, building stuff, tinkering around, model railroading, attending a few classes/seminars at the University of IL Extension Office and at the local community college, actively involved in one garden club, a little involved with another one, traveling, actively involved in the Retiree unit of my former Union and their lobbying efforts, involved in AARP and their lobbying efforts, involved in the NRA and their lobbying efforts, involved in some political campaign efforts, watching clouds, listening to birds, enjoying wonderful food, reading, enjoying old friendships and making new ones, and the list goes on and on and on.......

Those are a few of the things that 'drive' me. But the biggest thing that drives me is being able to enjoy life and do whatever I want, whenever I want, for whatever reason I want......Everyday....All day....for the rest of my life!
Old 07-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I spend 10 to 30 hours a week volunteering with refugees here in Tucson. They're the people you've read about in the papers for years, typically displaced from war zones or by ethnic strife, and most coming out of long-term stays in refugee camps. Somalis, Sudanese, Iraqis, Nepalese, Karen tribal people from Burma, the list goes on and on. They're some of the most wonderful people I've ever known. Family values to the max, and almost all are extremely grateful to be safe here in America. I'm blessed, and honored to be of service.

Tom
Old 07-08-2008, 08:49 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I've got a list as long as my arm of things to do now that I'm retired. I sure hope I get a chance to do some of them some day.

I've found that life keeps you busy and involved. I'm truly hoping for boring times so I can do some of the things others talk about here. I've dealt with birth (granddaughter), death (stepfather), moving and home sales, and a short contracting stint in the past 2 years. The closest 've come to feeling retired is the occasional nap, and I had been known to sneak those in at work too

I read an article many years ago that said if you couldn't think of 10 things you wanted to do right off the top of your head, you probably weren't ready for retirement. I think there is some truth to that.

Make a list of a few things, and go for it. You'll find many others that just pop up, and I suspect you'll have to intentionally make time for lazy relaxation. That's what I'm seeing, at least.

Harley
Old 07-08-2008, 08:56 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

Look for a Life Long Learning or Learning in Retirement organization in your community. Often they are associated with colleges and universities. Great way to meet really involved and smart people. The one I belong to has a great perk of being able to audit any class that has room and in which the professor agrees to allow you to do it. You don't get credit for the classes, but you still gain the knowledge.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:32 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life_is_Good View Post
Uh.... GOLF!!!

First, I was driven to break 100,

Then, I was driven to break 90,

Now, I'm driven to break 80

Then.... who knows?
The ultimate goal for every (senior) is to shoot their age, preferably on an 18 hole regulation course. My Dad did it first at 76 and at least once in his 80's and he's still playing 2-3 times/week at age 86...go Dad!

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote