Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 10:53 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've done plenty of bumming around, and have found that I'm really good at it.

I've been avoiding the summer heat, but will resume bumming soon. Plans include a roadtrip to bbq territory (Lockhart and Luling, with a maybe stop at Gruene Hall). Another on the list is Texas State Railroad. Plan C is Memphis, the Blues Highway, and Muscle Shoals, though that's not exactly "around town"...

Other possibilities are scenic drives like FM 170 in Big Bend and Talimena Scenic Drive in OK/AR...

http://www.lockhartchamber.com/pages/BBQCapitalofTexas
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...ing_Texas.html
http://gruenehall.com/
https://www.texasstaterr.com/
http://www.surgent.net/other/fm170.html
http://www.talimenascenicdrive.com/
http://www.msbluestrail.org/blues-tr...ghway-61-north

A few pics from a more local bumming...
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1472835057.485348.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1472835086.074523.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1472835111.879878.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1472835133.326692.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1472835194.102592.jpg

...not doing anything of true substance...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Left out one. Edit mode wouldn't allow adding more photos...

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1472835630.695533.jpg

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 09-02-2016, 11:08 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I've always loved "bumming" around, even when we were still working. Now retired, I got an RV so I can bum all around the country for months at a time. I've bummed all the way to Nova Scotia from the southwest of the US. Still have to do some bumming up to Alaska. Great fun!
Old 09-02-2016, 11:15 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I could care less about bumming around towns, but now that the kids are back in school I will be resuming exploring areas in the million or so acres (or more) of public land that are within striking distance. Some time this month I plan to hit a 5,000 acre tract of hunting grounds I have never been to. Come mid-November I will be checking out chunks of National Forest that are 8,000' or so of elevation.

- Will Rogers
Old 09-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Parks and day trips are some of our favorite things to do. We moved to where we live now after doing library research (per-Internet days) on what cities had nice weather and most parks per capita. We also go to a lot of unsold ticket events. The other week some great theater tickets popped up late afternoon on one of my events lists and a few hours later we were in the city watching a performance of one of our favorite theater groups. We enjoy being retired and have the free time to do spur of the moment outings like that.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 09-02-2016, 11:24 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I saw this thread it reminded my of the old guys I see walking the aisles at Walmart with no particular intent.
I will not spend my golden years walking around Walmart. I can tell you that.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:27 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I should do more "local bumming", but somehow do not have much interest. I have lived in the same city for 40 years, and it has grown a lot and I certainly have not seen all corners. But as most people do, I do more research on a new town that I plan to visit than on my own town.

Just a few months ago, my daughter invited us to dinner at a restaurant near the university that's the alma mater for many of us in the family, both my side and my wife's. It was a pleasant visit as the area has changed a lot. How far is it from home? 10 miles!
Old 09-02-2016, 11:44 AM   #28

This sounds like a great idea, once I'm FIRE'd. People keep asking me, "But what will you do all day?" My answer is immediately, "Whatever the heck I want!"
Old 09-02-2016, 11:51 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes! I moved to the PNW to explore it's beauty but ended up with a job that had me on call every other week and I did a fair amount of weekend work when I wasn't on call. 95% of my vacation time was spent in the mid-west visiting my family, so this is a new playground for me to explore.

Now we're retired and have been busy exploring the towns and wilderness of the PNW. We have an ongoing list of places to see and we keep adding and subtracting to it.

Yesterday we walked three miles to the gym for a yoga class. We forgot that it is closed for five days for the annual deep clean. Since we were up and about we decided to walk to downtown Portland and bum around. We had lunch at the food carts then saw the latest Meryl Streep movie then went to the waterfront to listen to an all afternoon outdoor symphony concert on the waterfront (on a Thursday!). I keep saying that I use to dream about spending a day just wondering and exploring Portland when I was working. What a luxury.

We also joined a local backpacking and hiking meetup group and have had an absolute blast going to gorgeous places for 3 or 4 night trips. We've made a lot of new and fun friends too.

We are leaving after the long weekend to camp and explore the southern Oregon coast for about five days. This is another bucket list item and is something I never had time to do while working.

Oh, and a big surprise is that we are living on about half of what we had budgeted for.

Life is good.

-helen
Old 09-02-2016, 11:56 AM   #30

I spend much more time off of the freeways and on the local roads these days.

So much to see what is out there that I missed while working full time.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:56 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
When I saw this thread it reminded my of the old guys I see walking the aisles at Walmart with no particular intent.
I will not spend my golden years walking around Walmart. I can tell you that.
I just got back from Costco and I think they all migrated over there today for the free samples!

There's a separate discussion on old people languishing in the pubic library and the malls. I'm in the library every few weeks to get books, but get to a mall about once a year.

Still, some of the people who appear to do very little may lack resources. Even a modest road trip takes a car, money for gas, meals out, overnight stays, admissions, etc. depending on what you want to do. We're among the fortunate (and prudent).
Old 09-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #32

Athena: one type of vacation that works well when you are alone is taking a cruise. YOu always have tons of people to talk to, eat with, hang out with, etc. Each cruise we meet great people and have lots of fun. Even in port we take tours with other people, etc. It occurred to me this last cruise that if my DH dies before me this would be a vacation I could take alone. I am so very sorry about your husband. Hugs)
Old 09-02-2016, 12:15 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

We too are "bumming" around in the PNW looking for our eventual home when our 1 year lease is up. It's fun looking around all the small towns and communities with all the time on our hands.
Question: What do you do when you have collected all the free harbor freight items with the 20% off coupons? Does anybody need a flashlght?
Old 09-02-2016, 01:18 PM   #34

For sure I do this. I love hanging out interesting places. Read a book, people watch, get something to eat, absorb some history. Going to Bogleheads in September and will take a day to go sit in the Philadelphia Navy Yard as an example. Love going over to Sarnia, Ontario to sit under the Blue Water Bridge and watch the ships go by.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #35

I used to do a lot of "follow my nose" rides when I had the motorcycle and DW is less fond of day road trips than I am but will go sometimes. This last spring I had some health issues that kept me at home but that is almost fully healed by now. A 4-cylinder Honda Accord doesn't burn much gas so I'm looking forward to some day trips again.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:37 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, we bum around the city and the nearby trails and lakes pretty often. Especially when the weather is nice in spring and fall. We have a 4 year old, so trips are often centered around stuff he can handle and/or enjoy (shorter hikes, swimming, visiting parks or lakes, exploring university campuses, picnics in the woods, etc).

We don't really set out with nowhere specific to go, but rather find a place to head for the day and don't get in a rush once there.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:40 PM   #37

Some years ago we were returning home from a trip to the Black Hills and went by George McGovern's hometown, Mitchell, SD. It's also home, of course, to the World Famous Corn Palace!

DW and I decided to hang out in town for a while. Got off the superslab and pulled into town ... and looked in vain for a parking place. Streets were blocked off. It was the 90th-anniversary Corn Palace celebration! I still have the T-shirt.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:01 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I used to do a lot of "follow my nose" rides when I had the motorcycle
+1 although this year I have been a fair weather rider, it's just been to hot this summer and I don't ride at night due to the deer.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:20 PM   #39

I wrote down on one of my goofy "maybe I'll do this one day" lists to draw two circles on the map, centered on my house, but 50 miles different in diameter. Then, on nice days, take my quad copter out to a random town in that swath and shoot some 4K video of whatever I find there that's interesting (or whatever I find along the way). Seems like no matter what I've shot so far, the footage is stunning, and I've only seen it in 1080p (I don't have a 4K tv).
Old 09-03-2016, 12:18 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

A "Senior Pass" in Los Angeles is either $20/mo or $2.50/day--unlimited bus and subway (metro rail).

Downtown LA is quite the experience. Subway goes to Pasadena, Long Beach, and many great destinations.

The best part of these trips is realizing how much I enjoy being home.