Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Do you lack intellectual stimulation after retirement?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:47 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Well, I doubt you'd get a response from the other demographics-- they're too busy working!
I don't agree. I recall from a recent poll that many people on this forum are still working (including me), and yet they find time to respond and participate on this forum.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2007, 08:57 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well then...wouldnt you be officially "screwing off" instead of working?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:01 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Well then...wouldnt you be officially "screwing off" instead of working?
And your point is? :P :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:42 AM   #24

Not ER'd yet...but ALMOST!!!! That said, I'm finally going to HAVE time to do intellectually stimulating things.

I've already signed up with the University of IL Extension for some seminars that I've wanted to take over the past years, but couldn't due to w*rk. I've been thumbing through the local junior college's catalog trying to figure what class I want to take first, since there are 2 or 3 that are the same days and times, so I have to pick 1! I haven't had the time over the last MANY years to go to the library and just peruse the collections.....my card expired 25 years ago!!! I stopped there the other afternoon on the way home, and got my new card!!! (They have CD's and DVD's to check out to!!! For FREE!!! WOW!!! )

I just joined the garden club in the next town over last fall....they are a VERY active group with all sorts of neat projects going on, and a LOT of really nice folks that enjoy each others company....Looking forward to some great times with them! (Plus they like to EAT!!!)

I've been putting together some trips to see stuff I've always wanted to, but had never had the time to go see. Some stuff close by...say within 100-150 miles. Some stuff half way across the country....which, since I'm in IL, covers about border to border & coast to coast!! And since I won't be employed any more, they won't be 'vacations', they'll be 'journeys'.....that sounds more adventurous....and hopefully it will be!!!

Then there are all of my hobbies!!!

I think my Lazy-Boy will start getting lonely before too long!!!

I think I'll keep the ol' mind active and stimulated after I ER!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:58 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious
I don't agree. I recall from a recent poll that many people on this forum are still working (including me), and yet they find time to respond and participate on this forum.
Eh, just ERs trying to kick a work addiction.

You'll have to fish in some different waters and let us know how the rest of the intellectually stimulated workers are doing.

I'm glad that I'm able to live my life without having to rent office space with other retired executives just to have a place to go every day where my family wouldn't be underfoot.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:11 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Been ERd for 4.5 years. No problem with Intellectual Stimulation. What I have to work on is physical comaraderie. It does not happen naturally except with spouse and a few buddies.

OTOH I get to choose who I spend my time with and there were many at work I would prefer not to spend time with. Good people in that environment but not when the whole world is available to me.

I am reminded of the saying:
"I woke up with nothing to do and by bedtime I only had half of it done!"

It is amazing what pursuits open up without the drudgery every day.

(PS Just returned from 2 months in Mexico.)
Old 03-13-2007, 11:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Eh, just ERs trying to kick a work addiction.
Again, I don't agree. There are some people (like me) who participate on this forum because we are interested in becoming "FI", and not necessarily "RE".
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:19 PM   #28

While I'm not completely ER because I have an occasional part time gig, I do enjoy mostly free time to do whatever I want and that's what I enjoy most. I'm not a person who ever enjoyed the tightly scheduled type A existence. I used to be extremely busy raising three children, working, and taking care of the home. Now I can focus on whatever I please from day to day.

Usually I spend some time working on my art, but I really enjoy letting a whole day go by without accomplishing anything at all except maybe finishing a novel or researching a topic on the Internet, or going on a very long hike in the mountains or just exploring some new event in town.
That kind of luxurious free time used to be so precious and relagated to a few hours on the weekend. Now I have days and days to spend in relaxing, enjoyable activities. What could be better?

The issue of social companionship seems to be working itself out as time goes on. I've been meeting other people who are involved in the same things and so I have friends in various parts of my life. Some days go by without social interaction but that's fine with me. I chose where I live so that I can have as much social life or as little as I like.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:33 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Business and stimulation are not the same thing.

My job is both busy and stimulating, sometimes to the point of excess. When I vacate, there is usually a couple of days of wind-down and sleep recuperation, then I automatically start getting to those (nonwork-related) books, play my piano daily, kick up my exercise routine, try that new ethnic restaurant, see movies.

Given the time benefit of retiring, I doubt it'll stop there: courses, new friends, leisurely visits to the distant kids... I can hardly wait for all the stimulation - the kind of my own choosing.

Oh, yeah, and I'll probably keep working a few months a year. Due to the usual delayed-gratification thing (read loan-bound til age 40), I am not yet ready financially but that is the only thing holding me back right now.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:53 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

The intellectual stimulation from work for me, was different than that from ER.

At work - I was stimulated as per headquarters' agenda - it sure kept me going 10-12 hours per day BUT the intellectual stimulation from ER is what I want to be stimulated by.....and only me. Believe me, that's plenty.

I guess it gets down to - what do you want to do? If you are self-initiated - no problem. If not - well, that could be an issue.

Take inventory of your interests and decide if it's enough to keep you busy. If not....well you know the answer there.
ijuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #31
gone traveling

intellectual stimulation, i substitute teach middle school and high school students a few days a week & . Coach a high school spring track team.

Does that count?

I drink good premium booze, and read real good books.

And I am running almost 10 miles a day.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:18 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

*Have started to convert my LP collection to CD's.

What equipment is needed to put the LP's on CD's?
polloloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:57 AM   #33

I'm not ER, but the plan is going and has been for a few year - my husband and I have options for early early, early mid and just early retirement (the spreadsheet-itis stuff). What's interesting is that as we contemplate this, we do realize that our jobs do define a part of us - for me, I have two jobs, civilian and military - so the idenitity and intellectual stimulation factors are well taken care of now. However, I have been supplementing that with other stuff like: crafts, gardening (learning about perennials/etc), cooking (those cooking shows and cookbooks are the end of me sometimes - I'm buried in them for hours!), decorating (oh my gosh, Design on a Dime, Divine Design and Designing Cents - yet more hours full of amazing creative ideas), history (reading about WWII, the presidents, the middle ages, etc), and now junior college philosophy (yes, once a week and *very challenging* reading - Try Anselm and his argument for the existence of God). My husband and I joke about our favorite 'berry' - the "liberry." Then there's travel and the research to make sure you take advantage of all the opportunities - history, tours, food, people. Not to mention sports: skiing, badminton, hiking, etc. So, yes, I am intellectually stimulated by my jobs, however, I'm hoping that the other stuff I've been pursuing will become a priority when we retire.

I always thought that if one could read, one would never have an excuse to be bored.....

Deserat
Old 03-20-2007, 05:05 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

If you look at my post from a while back, you'll see how intellectually stimulating my retirement has been!
http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...9560#msg189560

I had a very intellectually demanding career, and I loved that aspect of it, especially the constant learning and mastering of new skills. I was a design engineer and headed a product development team. I had titles like "system architect" etc., and I was one of the big picture "visionaries" for product design. A lot of my work was self-directed too.

I can truly say in retirement, the intellectual stimulation is just as high. That is perhaps something that hasn't really changed in my life, it's just that I redirected it. Now I am absorbed in my own hobbies and interests. For me retirement was the chance to finally delve into learning about things that I had no time to pursue while I was working, to "catch up" in areas where I had no formal education. I am still constantly learning and mastering new skills - they just are with tools that facilitate the things I like to do/create now.

I think some of us pursue intellectual challenges for their own sake. If that's true, retiring is not likely to change that part of your life.

Audrey
Old 03-20-2007, 08:54 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I have had one intellectual setback since RE nine months ago: I haven't put together a single PowerPoint presentation in all that time and I'm sure my knowledge of PowerPoint is fading fast! Oh my.....! Maybe I'll fire PowerPoint up tomorrow and put together a little presentation for DW outlining our vacation plans for the next six months........
Old 03-21-2007, 06:30 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Oh my.....! Maybe I'll fire PowerPoint up tomorrow and put together a little presentation for DW outlining our vacation plans for the next six months........
Just beware that ERers have a tendency to regress into using animated doohickeys and sound effects in their presentations. That is something you want to avoid if you want to preserve your management cred. Maybe you should take some Edward Tufte books out from the library. Reapeat after me: "Powerpoint is evil. Powerpoint corrupts absolutely..."
Old 03-21-2007, 07:48 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I consider powerpoint to be one of the worst productivity drains on the planet.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:39 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Reminds me of a cartoon caption contest:

It showed one technical person showing a prospect the Powerpoint while talking.
My entry: If you will buy right now, I promise NOT to show you the Powerpoint pitch.

It won!
Old 03-21-2007, 07:58 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I consider powerpoint to be one of the worst productivity drains on the planet.
It's getting quite a military backlash too...

http://www.military.com/NewContent/0...Point,00..html

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:53 AM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat
...I always thought that if one could read, one would never have an excuse to be bored.....

Deserat
That's an excellent point!