Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Do you lack intellectual stimulation after retirement?
Old 03-22-2007, 04:47 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
intellectual stimulation, i substitute teach middle school
Wait a minute......... wouldn't subsitute teaching in a middle school and intellectual stimulation be an oxymoron? :

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2007, 06:35 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is a concern of mine as well. I'm not ER, but I've my job isn't too stressful and I do have a little bit of free time. I have a wide variety of interests and enjoy traveling, reading, the outdoors. However, I find that even though I seek intellectual/social stimulation, my ADD and laziness result in me being bored occasionally.

For example, I have a very strong desire to learn Spanish. I've have an excellent Spanish immersion software package at my fingertips, but I just haven't gotten around to finishing the course yet past the first few sessions (it's been 3 months!) I've noticed that this tendency to start things but not follow through to completion happens with activities that are solitary. With events/activities that involve social contact, I don't seem to have as much of a problem. Maybe because I crave social contact and like competition? Don't know, it's definitely something I have to work on before I RE. I like the sense of achievement, so I guess I'm just a lazy type-A!

Anyone else like this?

Old 03-28-2007, 06:59 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Why would one presume that there was intellectual stimulation before retirement ?

Have started to convert my LP collection to CD's.

What equipment is needed to put the LP's on CD's?

They have these turntables that have usb ports to connect it to the computer and I believe the software to get the music onto the computer.
If you ask me what a turntable is I might have to scream .... 8)
Old 03-28-2007, 07:11 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyrdpd
If you ask me what a turntable is I might have to scream .... 8)
Nah, most of the posters are still Googling the "LP" acronym.

Turntables used to be expensive enough without USB ports. We've been saving one for years to be able to play our albums, which I believe last occurred... yep, in the '80s. (Wonder how that motor coil's held up over the last 20 years?) I suspect the turntable will plug into our PC just fine with an RCA converter cable. Hey, I could dedicate the laptop to the project!

Whenever I talk about converting our albums & cassette tapes to MP3s or CDs, my spouse affixes her steeliest glare upon my visage and gently inquires "You saved enough money taping them in the first place. You're always griping that you don't have enough time to do the things you want to do. Instead of tweaking & babysitting more electronics, why don't you just download or (*gasp*) buy the CDs? After all, what are you saving it for?!?"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:44 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

spidey,

The manual says my new laptop is Java equipped. Where does the coffee come out?

Old 03-31-2007, 10:09 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I worked in IT and used a lot of linear thinking, problem-solving in that job for 25 years. When I semi-retired and changed careers, I moved to a people oriented job, no spreadsheets, no diagrams, no logic. I noticed after time a sort of unease in myself and finally figured out that I needed more intellectual stimulation than the job was giving me. I just do my own website, blogging, added lay physics books and Carl Jung to my reading list and satisfied that need. I feel better which is the whole goal, anyway.

I think it would be easy to let go of both intellectual and social interaction for some retirees. I know a couple who mostly watch TV alone most days. Good way to turn into a vegetable. Reading books is intellectually stimulating, but only if you read the right kind. Reading romance novels (e.g.) are entertaining, but not intellectually stimulating.

When we suddenly have all this free time, it would be easy to get off-track, become bored or whatever if you do not have outside interests that pull you out of bed. I never get bored because I have tons of interests and a long to do list for my own pleasure. But I know one guy who has millions, is much younger than me and says he'll never retire because he doesn't know what he would do with all that time. The only outside interest he has is traveling but he doesn't want to travel more than a few weeks a year. so he stays at work, probably best.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:37 AM   #47

I am retired! Have been for about 6 months. I am not concerned about intellectual stimulation. I am not concerned about getting in touch with the real me. I could care less if I become a mental vegetable. (by the way, did you see the last idol, apprentice, survivor, desperate housewives episode?) I meet new folks regularly and still meet with those I knew before retirement. Family still talks to us and grand kids still come to visit.

I do have more time to read the papers, (brother-in-law reads three every morning) I only read one. I maintain four websites for the fun of it, take an hour walk every day, talk with the neighbors, they are all retired also, and before you know it, it is 5:00, well 5:00 somewhere, and time for margaritas on the deck and more socializing with the neighbors. Intellectual stimulation is not what it is cracked up to be. Enjoying your life and having the funds and physical capability to do what ever you want to do whenever you want to IS!

By the way, in my former life I was a military officer, fighter pilot, certified real estate appraiser, managed real estate department for the third largest bank in California, MIS director for elected official in the third largest county in the nation. I have been intellectually stimulated, and the only one I miss is fighter pilot, and that is because of the guys you fly with more than the intellectual stimulation.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:09 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

The main thing I miss is making high impact decisions every day. OTOH there is much less stress.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:54 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I was "retired" for about 5 years. Did find it hard to get my head around not going into work and doing a job for 8 hours a day.

Finally found that a daily schedule did work for me. Now I have returned to work and will retire permanently in 2 years. I am already planning on volunteering five days a week for the morning hours at a local spay/neuter clinic. Then home for lunch and crafts, reading or a nap. Will give me the social and mental stimulation I want and the vacation atmosphere I deserve.

I think it will give me the best of both worlds and give support to an organization that I enjoy.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:41 PM   #50
Confused about dryer sheets

One thing that I noticed is that I really explore the internet. When I was an exec I never had time to surf and just see what was going on on the net. Now I real think it is cool and I can use it to make my life easier. I used see email as a complete pain in the ass. Now I love it. So in that sense I think I am more stimulated by and focused after ER.

I also got rid of the cell phone and it doesn't seem to be causing any problems.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:41 PM   #51
Confused about dryer sheets

To answer your question, No, as I can use my mind a little more creative now, and not like a robot for the U.S. Government I was working for. Life for me now is an adventure and I can make changes everyday about where I'm going and what I will be doing and it's not limited, so I think I'm more intellectual as far as thinking because I'm not stuck at a job or stuck to a neighborhood. I finally have the time to research in depth anything and everything that stimulates my mind more than even before.....and more time to just think and analyze things. my 2 cents
Old 04-11-2007, 06:51 AM   #52

I'm still only partly retired, but my experience runs a bit counter to the responses I've read. I find it challenging to remain intellectually challenged. I had a 20 year military career involving a lot of teaching, learning, and other technical work. I followed this with nearly 20 years as a technical analyst involving heavy intellectual lifting (OK, so my retirement is not as early as others).

Now that I have a lot of time on my hands, I still struggle with keeping my mind going at the same speed as when I was working full time. Sure, there are books, there are courses, there are hobbies, etc. But what I miss the most is the professional interaction with others, playing off each other's ideas. Because of this, I'm still searching for the perfect retirement spot, and it has to include a college with an adult outreach program. But it has to be more than the standard offerings for seniors, I need an active, mentally stimulating, challenging setting. So I may just audit some hard core courses.

At the same time, the setting has to be one of intellectual stimulation without career pressure, so I don't want to be in a classroom with a bunch of young people trying to figure out their lives. I don't know if there is such a setting for retirees, but I'm still searching. I suppose searching is in itself intellectual stimulation. If anyone knows of such a place, I would appreciate knowing about it.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:23 AM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToRetire
I don't know if there is such a setting for retirees, but I'm still searching. I suppose searching is in itself intellectual stimulation. If anyone knows of such a place, I would appreciate knowing about it.
A few ideas for the FIRE'd looking for interaction (ignore this if you're already content):

Consider checking out the services sponsored by SBA and Chambers of Commerce where retired people volunteer to coach and advise those who are starting businesses.

Also, you can work with nonprofits - and maybe get involved to the point where you're on the board or assisting the management team. You may need to be persistent in order to get them to assign you to more than the mundane tasks. In most cases, nonprofits have not yet adjusted to the way the new generation of retirees wants to be involved. You might even state right up front that you are looking for a nonprofit board position where you can contribute and make a difference.

Consider teaching a class for the community college non-credit program. I'm always amazed at some of the topics. Or host a weekly meeting to teach people how to FIRE. The library might give you space.

FWIW
Old 04-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
At the same time, the setting has to be one of intellectual stimulation without career pressure, so I don't want to be in a classroom with a bunch of young people trying to figure out their lives. I don't know if there is such a setting for retirees, but I'm still searching. I suppose searching is in itself intellectual stimulation. If anyone knows of such a place, I would appreciate knowing about it.
Chess and bridge groups in large cities might fill some of these needs. Often middle aged people formally study only to gain career advantage, and if you are beyond that you really will have little in common with them.

For an analytical workout in a serious environment, try the race track, or a card room. Plenty of smart people there.

ha
Old 04-11-2007, 06:50 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
But what I miss the most is the professional interaction with others, playing off each other's ideas.
But it has to be more than the standard offerings for seniors, I need an active, mentally stimulating, challenging setting. So I may just audit some hard core courses.
At the same time, the setting has to be one of intellectual stimulation without career pressure, so I don't want to be in a classroom with a bunch of young people trying to figure out their lives.
I don't know if there is such a setting for retirees, but I'm still searching.
I suppose searching is in itself intellectual stimulation.
If anyone knows of such a place, I would appreciate knowing about it.
Ouch!! What are you trying to say, STR, that this board's not working for you?

Many look inward (or to their partner) for the interaction you describe. Few of us here look outward... beyond this board and the surf lineup, anyway.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:00 PM   #56

SoonTo BeRetire,

Well, I'm not retired yet, but I'm taking a Jr College course in Philosophy - ummm, it's almost too intellectually stimulating - juxtapose that with most of the people in the class working on their AA's and fairly young or ignorant along with a professor who was a recruit in the Korean War who then went to UC Berkeley, you get a lot of interesting, stimulating (in many ways) experiences.......This board can sometimes be stimulating, especially when the mavens start slicing and dicing their portfolios (makes my head hurt sometiems and I supposedly had many years of math!), actuarial info on their projected life spans, discussing previous posters who have different ideas (h***s).....

Some of the other ideas were good, too - it may be you are an extrovert and need some interaction with people in person - in any case, it's good that you know it so now you can try and find it...you will.

Deserat
Old 04-11-2007, 07:08 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I got to try retirement due to a corporate move. Way different than what we expected, partly due to also dealing with a new area.

I did not like it. Missed having people around and a structure to my day. However after 2 years, I reestablished structure, found new friends and was on my way to a new career. And here I had the opportunity to stop working forever.

So I went back to work with a totally different attitude. I will permanently retire "again" in 21 months and already have a plan for a parttime volunteer job at my favorite charity that is within walking distance to my home. Perfect.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:36 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Don't know what happened here- I had no intention to quote myself!

Ha
Old 04-12-2007, 06:10 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now that I have a lot of time on my hands, I still struggle with keeping my mind going at the same speed as when I was working full time. Because of this, I'm still searching for the perfect retirement spot, and it has to include a college with an adult outreach program. But it has to be more than the standard offerings for seniors, I need an active, mentally stimulating, challenging setting. So I may just audit some hard core courses.

At the same time, the setting has to be one of intellectual stimulation without career pressure, so I don't want to be in a classroom with a bunch of young people trying to figure out their lives.
One of my former bosses talked like that. He retired at about age 56/58 and moved to Florida. He worked in a bookstore for a while but wanted more intellectual stimulation. So he moved to Colorado Springs and enrolled in a PHD program at his old alma mater. Now he is teaching there. Seems happy.