Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-17-2015, 08:18 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife retired this summer. She told me she put exactly 100 peppermints in a large bowl on her desk for a countdown. She would eat one peppermint a day to be able to visualize her imminent retirement as the number of peppermints in her bowl got smaller.
GSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2015, 03:33 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in the middle of a 17 1/2 month countdown, planning to ER on April 1st 2017. I probably shouldn't obsess about it quite so much. Age will be shortly after my 59th birthday.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
OrcasIslandBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 03:34 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Retirement will be shortly after my 59th birthday I meant to say

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
OrcasIslandBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:28 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

74 days, but who's counting?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:32 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbidness View Post
It's a gorgeous day today and I'm at w*ork. I have a countdown timer on my phone that indicates 338 days, 12 hours, 47 minutes and 27,26,25........ Yep I keep track.

Trust that the weather won't suddenly turn bad forever on the day you retire! There will be more gorgeous days when you are able to enjoy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:43 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Somehow or other I never thought I would retire. Don't ask me why, just seemed wrong somehow, sort of not for me. We were what I know would understand to be FI for years. That was not the point. Then one Summer I had this idea that I might retire in a few years, by Fall I was clear that it would be next Spring, by later Fall I knew I would go on the last day of February of the coming year. I was going to stay and say nothing until after the end of the year as Megacorp always did a 10% layoff each year (some idea of pruning leaving only the best). I figured I was a natural for the chop and wanted the package as a retirement gift. Come Xmas time (yes they lay off during the second week of December), I get a call and my co-worker is laid off not me. So I call management and point out that I am retiring at the end of Feb so they are now down two and why not save the other guy and lay me off. So amazingly they did. I got a very nice going away present.

I must say that other than attending phone meetings (I worked remotely), I more or less did nothing from around October till the end. So the count down was short and painless.
But those whom the Truth would indict."

Robert Burns
poorcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:43 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Anticlimactic for me - got an early out offer in October with actual last day February 28. Four very boring months .....then freedom!
Similar for me. It took me about 30 days to figure out I could ER. Then it was 3 1/2 months of extreme boredom before I left. I don't know how people do it counting down for years.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:51 PM   #28

8 weeks count down but I've been planning for 2 years.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-18-2015, 05:59 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I remember mine:

1 and out. "Tomorrow's your last day."

MegaCorp overreacted 11/2008 and retired everyone 55 years old and older--and those working there under a year.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! And the severance package was ridiculously good.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:17 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1445224336.622812.jpg

Here's me two weeks ago taking down a Post-it Flag on a Friday afternoon. I posted 52 of these inside my desk overhead last April to mark my last year.

I also mark my "weeks remaining" inconspicuously in my work e-mail signature and in the background of PowerPoint title pages. It's my stealthy way of counting down to next April Fools Day when I plan on checking out for good. (it's fun to see an old email or PPT and see how far I've come).
Kickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:30 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Having survived a RIF at my fed agency in 1995, I then began my countdown to retirement eligibility in 2009, roughly 5000+ days. Now I'm counting the number of days since I retired

aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:04 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo View Post
Having survived a RIF at my fed agency in 1995, I then began my countdown to retirement eligibility in 2009, roughly 5000+ days. Now I'm counting the number of days since I retired

Aldo...I was much like you. I went through a major reorganization halfway through my career, had to move, possible job loss, etc. Also later, a constant threat of my job series being RIFed or banished. All of that was a wake up call to do something about it, years ago. Fight or flight. If something happened I would land on my feet. I had too much time in for flight, so I fought. My way of fighting was investing towards independence. We paid everything off years ago and maxed everything out, because of that threat. That is probably why some of us had such long count down calendars. As soon as I became eligible...I was out of there. If your job is safe, you become a complacent mushroom and live above your means.

I can understand, Aldo. When you survive a RIF, your whole outlook changes towards the job and career. No more sitting around becoming a victim. You are forced to take the bull by the horns towards independence, (being able to retire ASAP and leave it all behind).
Old 10-19-2015, 05:49 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

2 weeks and laid off, a little contract work for them after that to close down the business. I was the only IT person so they needed my help to close the business and contract paid very well also got a great package. That was almost 2 years ago.
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:23 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

My DW has had an app on her iPhone tracking the countdown for the last 6 months. As of this morning it's at 18!
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:15 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had a spreadsheet with the number of Mondays, Fridays and total work days remaining. It was fun seeing the milestone #'s (100 days, 10 Mondays etc), and then sharing with certain coworkers.

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #36

Two week countdown. When my fed agency announced that the early retirement program ends in two weeks. I had been eligible but never gave it serious thought as I was 50 with a one and three year old at home. Forced me to quickly do a serious review of income, expenses, pension, and investments. Came to the conclusion that I could retire but continue our LBYM lifestyle, no increase in standard of living. Fortunately, I had a paid off house. And it was a golden opportunity to be a daily part of my sons lives.

All turned out good. Could have loosened the purse strings years ago as net worth is 2.5 what it was 15 years ago.
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:13 AM   #37

My originally planned retirement day was my 55th birthday. I started a WEEK countdown at the 3 year mark. Days was too big of a number. I wrote it on the corner of my whiteboard and updated it weekly.

Then stuff happened that made me realize I could pull it in and retire sooner... so my number got pulled in dramatically and I put it into days. I ended up retiring before the 1 year mark of my 3 year countdown.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:33 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm at 131. I started my countdown at 523. I use Excel to track total days, work days, weeks and months. But, that is until I announce. I must give 30 days notice to be paid for unused vacation. They may make me work 30 days or they may ask me to leave sooner.
InTheSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #39

Started 16 months prior to Aug 30th. Had two calendars: would cross off the monthly by week. Then a second sheet that started at about 35 weeks where I would check off the number.

However, then the P/T offer came and I changed it to know that I was just counting down the F/T work. So, kind of anti-climatic. However, it is now open ended that at any time I pull the trigger and it's two weeks.
Bir48die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:05 PM   #40

Multiple countdowns right now. 7 days until 59 1/2. 118 days until the 2015 incentive??, 3 dental crowns for DW and I, and final 401k annual company 5% contribution. Good enough to fund the 2016 Roth's and finally cut the cord.
To be safe I'm off for the holiday's plus a three week trip to Fla in Jan - Feb.