Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-14-2012, 12:05 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Things seem pretty much the same here. I have worked at home for periods of time over the years so I have had a chance to observe things now and then during a regular work day.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Current neighborhood is highly unusual, more or less on the border between suburban and semi-rural. Our little place has enough trees surrounding it that we can barely see the homes on either side.

But earlier, we lived in an old, established, rather well off neighborhood in the city, and I was always amazed at the way people there referred to the homes. After the Simpsons moved out of their house, the Johnsons bought it and lived there for a dozen years. Then the Greens bought it and have lived there for the last seven or eight years. But it's still "the Simpson house" to everyone on the street. Even newcomers learn to call it that, despite not quite knowing why.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Current neighborhood is highly unusual, more or less on the border between suburban and semi-rural. Our little place has enough trees surrounding it that we can barely see the homes on either side.

But earlier, we lived in an old, established, rather well off neighborhood in the city, and I was always amazed at the way people there referred to the homes. After the Simpsons moved out of their house, the Johnsons bought it and lived there for a dozen years. Then the Greens bought it and have lived there for the last seven or eight years. But it's still "the Simpson house" to everyone on the street. Even newcomers learn to call it that, despite not quite knowing why.
Same thing here...the "simpsons" moved out 60 years ago and it is still 'their house'.

In my town however there is an even stranger thing in that nobody sells their house...they are passed down from generation to generation. I'm living in my great-great grandfather's house, my brother lives in our great-grandfather's house. Almost everyone on my street has grown up (and their mother/father) in the same house. It's very odd when someone new does move in.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Now we live in a 55+ community, and in season it can be very busy during during the day with all the active retirees out doing stuff. We know almost everybody. And I can enjoy my own house and yard when I don't feel like being social. It's so different from living in a working family suburb - it's like night and day!
Quite literally, I would imagine...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
It's very odd when someone new does move in.
I can only imagine how odd it must feel to them.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

You know you're old when you start giving directions involving no longer existing landmarks.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #27

I will retire at the end of August but at the moment I am practicing retirement until May. Our neighborhood has changed quite a bit in the last 6 years. 10 or 11 of the old concrete block houses (except our - 1500 sq ft) have been torn down and new homes built in their place (4000 to 6000 sq ft) so we have many new neighbors with deep pockets. I guess we will make a few more extra dollars when it comes time to sell in 15 years. My next door neighbor's son has 2 more years until college so I have someone to mow my yard. After that I hope some of the new folks have nice strong children that want to earn some spending money.

Cheers!
Old 03-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I will retire at the end of August but at the moment I am practicing retirement until May. Our neighborhood has changed quite a bit in the last 6 years. 10 or 11 of the old concrete block houses (except our - 1500 sq ft) have been torn down and new homes built in their place (4000 to 6000 sq ft) so we have many new neighbors with deep pockets. I guess we will make a few more extra dollars when it comes time to sell in 15 years. My next door neighbor's son has 2 more years until college so I have someone to mow my yard. After that I hope some of the new folks have nice strong children that want to earn some spending money.

Cheers!
I haven't ever had any luck getting neighbors' kids to mow. There aren't too many kids in my neighborhood, and they are busy with other things.

However, lately there have been plenty of adults looking for jobs mowing, with unemployment as bad as it has become. So don't forget that possibility; you could get your lawn mowed, and help someone who needs work.

My lawn guy has mowed lawns for F.'s family for over half a century. He is getting older now, so these days he has a young helper to do the edging, and he uses a rider mower. Occasionally one or the other does it all, but usually it's both of them together. They mow about 10 lawns/day, I suppose. He may be old but he is 100% trustworthy, shows up like clockwork, and does a perfect job every time. When he retires or dies, I will try to get his helper to continue with my lawn.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
You know you're old when you start giving directions involving no longer existing landmarks.
Oh, I love that one!
DW has lived in this area her whole life, and still says things like "Oh, that's right around the corner from where [department store that had gone out of business before I moved here] used to be."

Actually, I've met several people around here who do that.

My usual response is something like "Isn't that just south of where that band of Cherokees attacked the wagon train that time?"

But my attempt at irony is usually unsuccessful, and I just have to probe further to get updated reference points. [sigh]
Old 03-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Around here that's the street definition of "kama'aina".

But W2R probably also remembers how to direct people to the Pearl City Monkey Bar...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:08 AM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Around here that's the street definition of "kama'aina".

But W2R probably also remembers how to direct people to the Pearl City Monkey Bar...
OMG, I had forgotten about that place. Never went there myself, but you're right... I remember exactly where it is/was. Everybody knows where it is, especially those who are/were Navy.

Here, I sometimes give directions by referring to one of the old Schwegmann's grocery stores, even though that chain went out of business the year I arrived. Also, I describe a certain shade of purple as "K&B purple" even though K&B was history long before I got here. So many places have disappeared from New Orleans, that we even have an often used phrase to describe it: "Ain' dere no mo". And we wistfully remember by using their locations when we give directions. Kind of like remembering an old friend.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:45 AM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I live in a high rise condo. It's very impersonal, I don't even know the people who live on my floor....
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #33
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I live in a high rise condo. It's very impersonal, I don't even know the people who live on my floor....
At least you don't have to yell at the kids to stay off your lawn ....
Old 03-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #34

I don't see my neighborhood differently. I've been walking my dogs around the neighborhood every day for decades. Now that I am retired I do it during the daytime rather than after dinner. It's pretty quiet around here and most people are away at work. I'm not all that observant anyway. My DW is the one that like to follow our neighbors gardening and remodeling efforts.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Since I retired I've been keeping a close watch on my neighbors across the street. They seem like a very nice young couple - he's in advertising and she's a stay-at-home mom with a young daughter - but there's some weird weird stuff going on over there. Particularly when her mother visits. The oddest thing is, one September the husband suddenly looked like an entirely different man, but everybody acts like he's the same person.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

She's an FBI agent; her "mother" is her supervisor.
The "husband" is the current participant of the Witness Protection Program using that particular safe house.

Very clear, and totally routine. Nothing to see here. Move along now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob boag View Post
Since I retired I've been keeping a close watch on my neighbors across the street. They seem like a very nice young couple - he's in advertising and she's a stay-at-home mom with a young daughter - but there's some weird weird stuff going on over there. Particularly when her mother visits. The oddest thing is, one September the husband suddenly looked like an entirely different man, but everybody acts like he's the same person.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Perhaps wifey has to be leased out occasionally so they can afford her SAHM status?

Ha
Old 03-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
You must be at least as old as I am.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #39

Before ER I used to drive to our local YMCA after work most days, do a class or work out in the gym and then drive home.

Since ER I usually ride my bicycle to the Y and back, see a whole lot more. After class I'll sit and have coffee and chat for at least 30 minutes, sometimes more.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:29 AM   #40

Quote:
I actually thought you might be mentally unstable for a long moment there, until this finally clicked.