Do you see your neighborhood differently now that you're there all the time?

Current neighborhood is highly unusual, more or less on the border between suburban and semi-rural. Our little place has enough trees surrounding it that we can barely see the homes on either side.

But earlier, we lived in an old, established, rather well off neighborhood in the city, and I was always amazed at the way people there referred to the homes. After the Simpsons moved out of their house, the Johnsons bought it and lived there for a dozen years. Then the Greens bought it and have lived there for the last seven or eight years. But it's still "the Simpson house" to everyone on the street. Even newcomers learn to call it that, despite not quite knowing why.

You know you're old when you start giving directions involving no longer existing landmarks.

I will retire at the end of August but at the moment I am practicing retirement until May. Our neighborhood has changed quite a bit in the last 6 years. 10 or 11 of the old concrete block houses (except our - 1500 sq ft) have been torn down and new homes built in their place (4000 to 6000 sq ft) so we have many new neighbors with deep pockets. I guess we will make a few more extra dollars when it comes time to sell in 15 years. My next door neighbor's son has 2 more years until college so I have someone to mow my yard. After that I hope some of the new folks have nice strong children that want to earn some spending money.

Cheers!

I will retire at the end of August but at the moment I am practicing retirement until May. Our neighborhood has changed quite a bit in the last 6 years. 10 or 11 of the old concrete block houses (except our - 1500 sq ft) have been torn down and new homes built in their place (4000 to 6000 sq ft) so we have many new neighbors with deep pockets. I guess we will make a few more extra dollars when it comes time to sell in 15 years. My next door neighbor's son has 2 more years until college so I have someone to mow my yard. After that I hope some of the new folks have nice strong children that want to earn some spending money.

Cheers!

I haven't ever had any luck getting neighbors' kids to mow. There aren't too many kids in my neighborhood, and they are busy with other things.

However, lately there have been plenty of adults looking for jobs mowing, with unemployment as bad as it has become. So don't forget that possibility; you could get your lawn mowed, and help someone who needs work. :)

My lawn guy has mowed lawns for F.'s family for over half a century. He is getting older now, so these days he has a young helper to do the edging, and he uses a rider mower. Occasionally one or the other does it all, but usually it's both of them together. They mow about 10 lawns/day, I suppose. He may be old but he is 100% trustworthy, shows up like clockwork, and does a perfect job every time. When he retires or dies, I will try to get his helper to continue with my lawn.

Last edited:
You know you're old when you start giving directions involving no longer existing landmarks.

Oh, I love that one!
DW has lived in this area her whole life, and still says things like "Oh, that's right around the corner from where [department store that had gone out of business before I moved here] used to be."

Actually, I've met several people around here who do that.

My usual response is something like "Isn't that just south of where that band of Cherokees attacked the wagon train that time?"

But my attempt at irony is usually unsuccessful, and I just have to probe further to get updated reference points. [sigh]

Around here that's the street definition of "kama'aina".

But W2R probably also remembers how to direct people to the Pearl City Monkey Bar...

Nords said:
Around here that's the street definition of "kama'aina".

But W2R probably also remembers how to direct people to the Pearl City Monkey Bar...

OMG, I had forgotten about that place. Never went there myself, but you're right... I remember exactly where it is/was. Everybody knows where it is, especially those who are/were Navy.

Here, I sometimes give directions by referring to one of the old Schwegmann's grocery stores, even though that chain went out of business the year I arrived. Also, I describe a certain shade of purple as "K&B purple" even though K&B was history long before I got here. So many places have disappeared from New Orleans, that we even have an often used phrase to describe it: "Ain' dere no mo". And we wistfully remember by using their locations when we give directions. Kind of like remembering an old friend.

Last edited:
I live in a high rise condo. It's very impersonal, I don't even know the people who live on my floor....

I don't see my neighborhood differently. I've been walking my dogs around the neighborhood every day for decades. Now that I am retired I do it during the daytime rather than after dinner. It's pretty quiet around here and most people are away at work. I'm not all that observant anyway. My DW is the one that like to follow our neighbors gardening and remodeling efforts.

Since I retired I've been keeping a close watch on my neighbors across the street. They seem like a very nice young couple - he's in advertising and she's a stay-at-home mom with a young daughter - but there's some weird weird stuff going on over there. Particularly when her mother visits. The oddest thing is, one September the husband suddenly looked like an entirely different man, but everybody acts like he's the same person.

She's an FBI agent; her "mother" is her supervisor.
The "husband" is the current participant of the Witness Protection Program using that particular safe house.

Very clear, and totally routine. Nothing to see here. Move along now.

Since I retired I've been keeping a close watch on my neighbors across the street. They seem like a very nice young couple - he's in advertising and she's a stay-at-home mom with a young daughter - but there's some weird weird stuff going on over there. Particularly when her mother visits. The oddest thing is, one September the husband suddenly looked like an entirely different man, but everybody acts like he's the same person.

Perhaps wifey has to be leased out occasionally so they can afford her SAHM status?

Ha

You must be at least as old as I am.:cool:

Before ER I used to drive to our local YMCA after work most days, do a class or work out in the gym and then drive home.

Since ER I usually ride my bicycle to the Y and back, see a whole lot more. After class I'll sit and have coffee and chat for at least 30 minutes, sometimes more.

I actually thought you might be mentally unstable for a long moment there, until this finally clicked. :LOL:

ProspectiveBum said:
I actually thought you might be mentally unstable for a long moment there, until this finally clicked. :LOL:

OK, I give up! I gather this is a reference to a movie or tv show or something, but I don't have a clue which. Can you help a brother out?

You must be at least as old as I am.:cool:
OK, I give up! I gather this is a reference to a movie or tv show or something, but I don't have a clue which. Can you help a brother out?
Little too subtle for this crowd...

I live out in the country, along a main drag (2 lane country road), on a 100' wide lot. There are neighbors on each side, an open field across the street and woods behind my property. I have cedar hedges, pine trees and a wooden stockade and chain link fence combo to keep those durn kids out. :LOL:
My neighbors all work, so I have all the privacy and quiet in the world. :dance: Sunbathing European style is no issue at all. :blush:
I view my home as a castle, sans moat. Mr B has asked me many times why I don't invite people up to the house. My response is I would rather go out to public places and socialize instead of always being here. That way if anyone gets stupid, I can just leave. :LOL:
Also, some local people view driving to the town I live in akin to a voyage to another planet. They just may be right. :cool:

Two years ago, sold our home of nearly 30 years but even before that we rented it out for a year or more. So been away maybe 3.5 years.

Last month we were in Los Angeles visiting friends and decided to stop by the old homestead in PVE. We cruised by the house slowly looking for changes and looking for former neighbors to chat with. Prowled the area by car, got out and looked out over the Pacific. Got back in the car and left.

Over lunch we both expressed the same feelings, "Don't miss the place at all."

Quick, take an inventory of the neighborhood's doorknobs.

Last month we were in Los Angeles visiting friends and decided to stop by the old homestead in PVE.<>
Over lunch we both expressed the same feelings, "Don't miss the place at all."
You must have moved to one very nice place indeed.

Ha

You must have moved to one very nice place indeed.

Ha
Ha, I much prefer exactly the environment you describe in your hood. We are considering our next move now and Seattle is top of the list. Probably rent at either Aspira or the condos in Olive 8 above the Hyatt.

Let's see, this morning you can walk down Pine, to the square in front of Westlake and likely find a chess match involving the guy who looks like a NW version of Confucius or the deaf-mute who plays an unorthodox style using his knights very aggressively from first move.

Watch the heavy metal kids and their pitbulls over at Starbucks on 4th and Pine. Then down to Emmett Watsons in the Market for some oysters or seafood gumbo. Or possibly a dungeness crab sandwich at the Pike Chowder place.

Come back to Westlake in the twilight and possibly see a dance floor in use.

On the other hand, when we lived in PVE, the choices were walk and see if a neighbor was out and about 50% chance, ride our bikes up/down some fairly aggressive hills or get in the car and fight LA traffic to find a decent meal.

SD and Seattle are mighty appealing places to us.

Last edited:
Ha, I much prefer exactly the environment you describe in your hood. We are considering our next move now and Seattle is top of the list. Probably rent at either Aspira or the condos in Olive 8 above the Hyatt.

Let's see, this morning you can walk down Pine, to the square in front of Westlake and likely find a chess match involving the guy who looks like a NW version of Confucius or the deaf-mute who plays an unorthodox style using his knights very aggressively from first move.

Watch the heavy metal kids and their pitbulls over at Starbucks on 4th and Pine. Then down to Emmett Watsons in the Market for some oysters or seafood gumbo. Or possibly a dungeness crab sandwich at the Pike Chowder place.

Come back to Westlake in the twilight and possibly see a dance floor in use.

On the other hand, when we lived in PVE, the choices were walk and see if a neighbor was out and about 50% chance, ride our bikes up/down some fairly aggressive hills or get in the car and fight LA traffic to find a decent meal.

SD and Seattle are mighty appealing places to us.
I see, Zero. Well, I certainly agree with your viewpoint. I already walked over to Trader Joe's, got a free mini-coffee and bought some mushrooms and jalepeños for my eggs. Next, I'll be heading down to Cal Anderson Park for a bit of sun bathing. Although you do have to be cold tolerant to sunbath today. It's sunny for sure, but a bit cold at 51, and with a good breeze too! Walk a few blocks here and I am likely to see maybe 100 other people on the street.

The two downtown buildings you mention should be very nice.

Ha

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom