Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum

I actually thought you might be mentally unstable for a long moment there, until this finally clicked.
OK, I give up! I gather this is a reference to a movie or tv show or something, but I don't have a clue which. Can you help a brother out?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-dweller View Post
OK, I give up! I gather this is a reference to a movie or tv show or something, but I don't have a clue which. Can you help a brother out?
Bewitched - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister
Thanks. I rarely watched that one.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob boag View Post
Since I retired I've been keeping a close watch on my neighbors across the street. They seem like a very nice young couple - he's in advertising and she's a stay-at-home mom with a young daughter - but there's some weird weird stuff going on over there. Particularly when her mother visits. The oddest thing is, one September the husband suddenly looked like an entirely different man, but everybody acts like he's the same person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
You must be at least as old as I am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-dweller View Post
Little too subtle for this crowd...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I live out in the country, along a main drag (2 lane country road), on a 100' wide lot. There are neighbors on each side, an open field across the street and woods behind my property. I have cedar hedges, pine trees and a wooden stockade and chain link fence combo to keep those durn kids out.
My neighbors all work, so I have all the privacy and quiet in the world. Sunbathing European style is no issue at all.
I view my home as a castle, sans moat. Mr B has asked me many times why I don't invite people up to the house. My response is I would rather go out to public places and socialize instead of always being here. That way if anyone gets stupid, I can just leave.
Also, some local people view driving to the town I live in akin to a voyage to another planet. They just may be right.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Two years ago, sold our home of nearly 30 years but even before that we rented it out for a year or more. So been away maybe 3.5 years.

Last month we were in Los Angeles visiting friends and decided to stop by the old homestead in PVE. We cruised by the house slowly looking for changes and looking for former neighbors to chat with. Prowled the area by car, got out and looked out over the Pacific. Got back in the car and left.

Over lunch we both expressed the same feelings, "Don't miss the place at all."
Old 03-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob boag View Post
Since I retired I've been keeping a close watch on my neighbors across the street. They seem like a very nice young couple - he's in advertising and she's a stay-at-home mom with a young daughter - but there's some weird weird stuff going on over there. Particularly when her mother visits. The oddest thing is, one September the husband suddenly looked like an entirely different man, but everybody acts like he's the same person.
Quick, take an inventory of the neighborhood's doorknobs.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Last month we were in Los Angeles visiting friends and decided to stop by the old homestead in PVE.<>
Over lunch we both expressed the same feelings, "Don't miss the place at all."
You must have moved to one very nice place indeed.

Ha
Old 03-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
You must have moved to one very nice place indeed.

Ha
Ha, I much prefer exactly the environment you describe in your hood. We are considering our next move now and Seattle is top of the list. Probably rent at either Aspira or the condos in Olive 8 above the Hyatt.

Let's see, this morning you can walk down Pine, to the square in front of Westlake and likely find a chess match involving the guy who looks like a NW version of Confucius or the deaf-mute who plays an unorthodox style using his knights very aggressively from first move.

Watch the heavy metal kids and their pitbulls over at Starbucks on 4th and Pine. Then down to Emmett Watsons in the Market for some oysters or seafood gumbo. Or possibly a dungeness crab sandwich at the Pike Chowder place.

Come back to Westlake in the twilight and possibly see a dance floor in use.

On the other hand, when we lived in PVE, the choices were walk and see if a neighbor was out and about 50% chance, ride our bikes up/down some fairly aggressive hills or get in the car and fight LA traffic to find a decent meal.

SD and Seattle are mighty appealing places to us.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Ha, I much prefer exactly the environment you describe in your hood. We are considering our next move now and Seattle is top of the list. Probably rent at either Aspira or the condos in Olive 8 above the Hyatt.

Let's see, this morning you can walk down Pine, to the square in front of Westlake and likely find a chess match involving the guy who looks like a NW version of Confucius or the deaf-mute who plays an unorthodox style using his knights very aggressively from first move.

Watch the heavy metal kids and their pitbulls over at Starbucks on 4th and Pine. Then down to Emmett Watsons in the Market for some oysters or seafood gumbo. Or possibly a dungeness crab sandwich at the Pike Chowder place.

Come back to Westlake in the twilight and possibly see a dance floor in use.

On the other hand, when we lived in PVE, the choices were walk and see if a neighbor was out and about 50% chance, ride our bikes up/down some fairly aggressive hills or get in the car and fight LA traffic to find a decent meal.

SD and Seattle are mighty appealing places to us.
I see, Zero. Well, I certainly agree with your viewpoint. I already walked over to Trader Joe's, got a free mini-coffee and bought some mushrooms and jalepeños for my eggs. Next, I'll be heading down to Cal Anderson Park for a bit of sun bathing. Although you do have to be cold tolerant to sunbath today. It's sunny for sure, but a bit cold at 51, and with a good breeze too! Walk a few blocks here and I am likely to see maybe 100 other people on the street.

The two downtown buildings you mention should be very nice.

Ha
Old 03-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ha, Ms G was at Trader Joes today, but it's a three hour drive home.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Ha, Ms G was at Trader Joes today, but it's a three hour drive home.
Whoa, pretty different. I hope you really, really enjoy whatever she bought!

Just got back from walking to the park for sun-bathing. About a 12 mph north wind blowing, but I found a nice lee spot where the sun got in and warmed the stones, but the wind mostly stayed out. Felt good to be embarked again. Usually I begin at the equinox, but it was just too cold this year.

Ha
Old 03-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Little too subtle for this crowd...
Thanks. I needed it to. I thought it referred to some FBI series witness protection TV series I had missed. Now I remember that the Darrel's had changed!
Old 03-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #54

Since ER'ing, I have spent a lot of time getting to know folks in my town. Did a lot of volunteer work, ran (and won) a few lowly/volunteer type elected positions in town government (not hard to win in a small town).

Now I can quite honestly say, that I have had the time to meet a lot of my neighbors and get to know them...it may be time to move.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerEd View Post
Now I can quite honestly say, that I have had the time to meet a lot of my neighbors and get to know them...it may be time to move.
The kind of people who do not grow on you, huh?
Old 03-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
The kind of people who do not grow on you, huh?
Oh yes, they grow on you alright, just like a tumor.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
OMG, I had forgotten about that place. Never went there myself, but you're right... I remember exactly where it is/was. Everybody knows where it is, especially those who are/were Navy.

Here, I sometimes give directions by referring to one of the old Schwegmann's grocery stores, even though that chain went out of business the year I arrived. Also, I describe a certain shade of purple as "K&B purple" even though K&B was history long before I got here. So many places have disappeared from New Orleans, that we even have an often used phrase to describe it: "Ain' dere no mo". And we wistfully remember by using their locations when we give directions. Kind of like remembering an old friend.

Yep. Even up here in greater KC, I remember. I too used to 'make groceries' and catch a Schway -ga mens bag full of beads at Mardis Gras.

heh heh heh -
Old 03-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Yep. Even up here in greater KC, I remember. I too used to 'make groceries' and catch a Schway -ga mens bag full of beads at Mardis Gras.

heh heh heh -
Nice memories, huh. I think Benny Grunch is a real jewel and he will be greatly missed when he "ain't dere no mo" himself.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote