Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-05-2009, 06:59 AM   #41
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtotheCove View Post
c. We appreciate being alone as well as being involved but the lack of respect shown in many cases by the younger generations toward people attempting to stay in their homes into their 80's and 90's that we've observed seems to be growing. I often wonder if my 88 year old father fell in his yard or drive if any younger neighbors would even notice? My bet is that it would be the 80 year old widow down the street that would notice and lend a hand? Sorry for the negative thoughts and generalizations regarding those in their 20's, 30's, and 40's but the "neighborhood" doesn't seem to have much a heart. That's why we've resolved not to become the only "old ones" left on our block but rather seek a community of active and older neighbors if possible.

I'm not sure it is lack of respect but more that the younger people are much busier with their lives . I do agree that in communities with older residents there is much more helping each other going on . I see this every day in Florida . Neighbors taking other neighbors for medical visits , groceries , church or lunch .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2009, 07:36 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

grumpy, thanks for that answer. If I can find my documents I will review them today to see what is required for our community. You post clears up the basics.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:12 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I saw the same thing happen to our parents. When their children attempt to help with just the day to day it can be exausting meeting everyones needs.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tangomonster
Quote:
Does anyone live in one of these communities? How often do you participate in activities and use the amenities?
We live in an active adult community, not a continuous care facility. Sometimes we are gone for a year at a time but we love the fact that when we return, we have access to movies, the swimming pool, the computer room, workout room, social activities, the billiard hall and so on. We like having known our neighbors for the last 17 years.

Like Nords said, having everything available if we want it, and in walking distance. We don’t feel the push to join in everything and maintain friends elsewhere as well.
Martha
Quote:
I think people are worried about being sick and vulnerable and alone.
Nords
Quote:
I think one advantage of an over-55 community is that if the newspapers begin to pile up outside your door, no one assumes you spent the night at your SO's house or went skiing for the weekend. People are a lot less bashful about knocking on doors and checking up on each other.
I agree. When one of our neighbors is ill, we all seem to know about it soon enough, and people make food, get food, take them to the docs, and check up on them. We all know if someone is on vacation or if there is another reason for the papers beginning to pile up on the porch.

There are pros and cons to every living space choice. My BIL is a musician and wants to continue practice in his jazz band when he retires. This would absolutely NOT work in our retirement community.

OTOH, in Chapala, for instance, we have a sense of community and people check up on each other also. There are older singles who need attention and due to the tight knit feeling, people check in on them, get them food and so on, the same as the AAC I mentioned above.

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement