Join Early Retirement Today

Does your medical coverage follow you when you travel?
Old 03-16-2008, 01:42 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Does your medical coverage follow you when you travel?

I see the ads about the medicare supplemental plans. My plan is to spend a lot of time on the road with my RV. Do those plans cover you outside of a specific geographic area?

thx

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All health care providers are state licensed. They choose which state or states in which to do business. BCBS coverage is statewide only, whereas Aetna is nationwide.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I could be wrong, know zip about Medicare plans, but I think most U.S. health care plans will cover you in the United States. (I think that is the case with BCBS -- my carrier). Usually coverage stops at an international border. Some plans will reimburse overseas health care costs, others not. Read your policy.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Odds are you will be covered for emergencies anywhere in the US. Even HMOs I know about seem to have coverage for emergencies out of the provider's area.

If your plan has different coverage for in network providers, you may find yourself out of network and paying what could be a significant portion of the cost.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Where Covered?
Old 03-16-2008, 07:15 PM   #5

Where Covered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedorrero View Post
I could be wrong, know zip about Medicare plans, but I think most U.S. health care plans will cover you in the United States. (I think that is the case with BCBS -- my carrier). Usually coverage stops at an international border. Some plans will reimburse overseas health care costs, others not. Read your policy.
That's correct Pedorrero -- if you carry BCBS coverage, your coverage travels anywhere in the US with you. Some BCBS plans also provide world wide coverage. Contact Customer Service for details.

RE: Medicare coverage -- if you purchase traditional Medicare you are covered anywhere in the US where the provider accepts Medicare coverage. If you purchase a Medicare or Medigap policy from a carrier, you'd need to check with their Customer Service about access to providers. I believe there are world wide exclusions for Medicare plans - but some private carriers may provide it.
-- Rita
Old 03-16-2008, 07:21 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM View Post
...BCBS coverage is statewide only, whereas Aetna is nationwide.
Not necessarily. Many BC/BS plans have national networks through a participation program. You can pay home-town contract rates to providers anywhere these exist, and it's a fairly large network.

Check your individual plan and contract. Mine does offer that network, and this was a major incentive in my decision to stick with them even though I retired from the original employer group.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:55 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

When i'm on the road "Blue Cross" covers me throughout North America.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
When i'm on the road "Blue Cross" covers me throughout North America.
BCBS also covers me internationally. I get the 80/20% covers in an emergency. I was recently surprised to see that several of Chaing mai's hospitals are within their network so I can get 80/20% in network coverage as well. The bad news is that my deductable of $10k will probably nver be met unless I had a very serious procedure.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:35 PM   #9

Yep, read the darn policy. True most carriers will cover a trip to the emergency room wherever you happen to be. If however you plan to be in another state for months at a time and want to establish health care locally you may find that your homestate BCBS won't be recognized in your visiting state. Do the homework first.