Join Early Retirement Today

Don't make my mistake
Old 09-24-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't make my mistake

I am semi-FIRED back in July, or at least I did. I gave my employer 5 weeks notice, however at the end of that period they had not found a replacement. I stayed on for an extra 2 weeks to help them out before going overseas for a vacation. Whilst I was away they contacted me to ask if I would help them out until the end of the year on a part time basis as due to the downturn in the economy it didn't not seem prudent to hire a replacement at this time. The hourly rate was nearly double what I was receiving before.

To cut a long story short, I find myself in the position of doing nearly as many hours as I did before with no consideration being given to the fact that I told them I would do 2 set days a week for only 5 hours each day. Of course this means I am earning even more than I was before, but it has proven to me that when you are done, no amount of money makes it better.

At this time I am working out a plan how to extricate myself from this position. Being involved has reminded me why I left in the first place, the politics, the stupid games that get played, people one-upping each other. I thought I was doing the right thing being nice and helping them, I like the people, but don't like the organization. Going in 1 hour a week is more than I can now tolerate.

So the moral of the story is if the same opportunity comes you way I would suggest you cut all ties and run as fast as you can to safety.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2008, 02:27 PM   #2

Hey offer them a counter-proposal: 4 times the hourly rate they have offered, use of the company Lear Jet and 6 weeks paid vacation starting 1/1/09.

Just say no!
Old 09-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cry Uncle.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck on this, Danger. Keep us posted. I had requests to work longer but resisted. During the last two months I took many many sick days and some days where I went in for only an hour or two. Yes, when you are ready to leave there is no such thing as a workday that is short enough.

Took a long commute to the beach today, spent about an hour there, did some grocery shopping and leisurely price checking for a new toaster, got home by 1:30 and made a very healthy lunch. Now I'm studying for my class, goofing off, listening to the radio, planning dinner and another outing to get back in time to see sunset from the rooftop, and oh, I'm on RE forums.

OAG is right, "just say no." As hard as that is, it's worth it.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I am semi-FIRED back in July, or at least I did. I gave my employer 5 weeks notice, however at the end of that period they had not found a replacement..
I gave 12 months notice so they'd have plenty of time to hire a replacement, and I'd have plenty of time to train them. Nine months later they still hadn't even started looking for a replacement. They asked if I'd stay a bit longer to help them out. I asked if they had read my "intent to retire" letter....they said yes......I asked if they noticed my last day of employment listed on it.....they said yes......I said THAT'S the day I leave....period! They hired someone the next week!

I had a placard on my locker at work that read:

"Bad planning on YOUR part, does NOT necessarily constitute an automatic emergency on my part."

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
Hey offer them a counter-proposal: 4 times the hourly rate they have offered, use of the company Lear Jet and 6 weeks paid vacation starting 1/1/09.

Just say no!
I offered them a counter proposal....."Eat sh*t"

I learned many years ago the importance of being able to "Just say NO!" It was one of the best lessons in life that I've ever learned.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:34 PM   #6

Like Goonie, I too gave 12 months notice of my intent to retire...and had the same result. Nearly 10 months after my notice, my replacement was finally identified -- but I was asked to consider staying on after my original retirement date "to continue to train" my replacement. As I took this position without any transition from my predecessor, I simply couldn't understand the rationale of staying on even one day past my planned depature.

As it turned out, I basically did nothing for the last month and a half before I left...my replacement decided she didn't want any input from me! Hey whatever!

Once you have your mind made up, it's hard enough to stick around -- being asked to stay longer, IMHO, is a non-starter, no matter how much $$ they throw at you!!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

It's hard not to get sucked back in . I retired in 2007 and returned to help out one day a week . I finally said enough is enough sorry about your shortage but I'm retiring for good .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:11 PM   #8

Truthfully I don't know why I am being so weak on this. Probably if you asked people to describe my personality they would say pushy, opinionated and other terms along that line. I am trying to work out what my problem is, I don't believe it is ego and I know it is not money.

Originally I said I would help them out as they are doing a software conversion before year end. Of course that project has turned into a total cluster. People who are totally clueless on how accounting should work are having input, IT is making decision that should be made by accounting, we have a couple of control freaks involved and everyone wants to be involved in every decision. It's the type of situation that ties your gut in a knot.

My greatest concern at the moment is that I am going to make a bad decision in my effort to extricate myself from the situation. We are talking about relocating and I want to be sure that we do it because we want to go rather than doing it because I want to get away from my situation.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:29 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Truthfully I don't know why I am being so weak on this. Probably if you asked people to describe my personality they would say pushy, opinionated and other terms along that line. I am trying to work out what my problem is, I don't believe it is ego and I know it is not money.

It is probably the longtime woman problem . Guilt !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
It is probably the longtime woman problem . Guilt !
I think that was part of my problem...I felt SO responsible for my job, until I finally had enough....and you know, there's nothing like an angry woman!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:59 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I didn't have that problem because I specifically trained my replacement and got her promoted before I stepped back to part-time hours.

So my semi-retirement has gone rather well. Anything stressful got dumped on someone else while I continue to have fun.

Did you even have a chance to train a successor?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:06 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I didn't have that problem because I specifically trained my replacement and got her promoted before I stepped back to part-time hours.

So my semi-retirement has gone rather well. Anything stressful got dumped on someone else while I continue to have fun.

Did you even have a chance to train a successor?
In my case, I took an early retirement to save someone else's job; and the person that assumed my job merely added another computer system to his 'team lead' responsibilities.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
As it turned out, I basically did nothing for the last month and a half before I left...my replacement decided she didn't want any input from me! Hey whatever!
Yep, same here.....I only spent about 2 weeks with the guy that transferred in from another department to be my replacement, and he decided he didn't want anymore input from me. He had absolutely NO experience in this field (laboratory technician/manager), but he was positive that he knew more about it than me, even though I'd only been in that capacity for about 12 years. He informed our boss as to his wishes, and I was 'put out to pasture' and told to let him do everything himself. So I most willingly obliged.

I moved my 'digs' out to the maintenance building, and did NOTHING but breathe, drink coffee, and collect a paycheck for my last 3 months. Whenever he hunted me down to ask a question, I'd inform him that I was specifically instructed to leave him to his own devices and besides I was too busy listening to the radio to be of much use. As he'd walk out of the shop mumbling & grumbling, I'd say "Hey, you know that big, thick, technical looking book above your desk (a multi-1000 page monstrosity written in relatively tiny print, in multiple columns, in fairly technical laboratory lingo)? You'll find everything that you've ever wanted to know about lab testing and procedures in it! Have fun buddy!"
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:52 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I am semi-FIRED back in July, or at least I did. I gave my employer 5 weeks notice, however at the end of that period they had not found a replacement. I stayed on for an extra 2 weeks to help them out before going overseas for a vacation. Whilst I was away they contacted me to ask if I would help them out until the end of the year on a part time basis as due to the downturn in the economy it didn't not seem prudent to hire a replacement at this time. The hourly rate was nearly double what I was receiving before.

To cut a long story short, I find myself in the position of doing nearly as many hours as I did before with no consideration being given to the fact that I told them I would do 2 set days a week for only 5 hours each day. Of course this means I am earning even more than I was before, but it has proven to me that when you are done, no amount of money makes it better.

At this time I am working out a plan how to extricate myself from this position. Being involved has reminded me why I left in the first place, the politics, the stupid games that get played, people one-upping each other. I thought I was doing the right thing being nice and helping them, I like the people, but don't like the organization. Going in 1 hour a week is more than I can now tolerate.

So the moral of the story is if the same opportunity comes you way I would suggest you cut all ties and run as fast as you can to safety.
I will give you the ultimate plan to help you out.

Ready...............this is epic.

"Sir, I quit"
Old 09-24-2008, 10:03 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigritchie View Post
I will give you the ultimate plan to help you out.
"Sir, I quit"
I gave a year's advance notice. My relief didn't show up until nine months after I'd left. Somehow everyone managed to muddle along without our daily supervision & guidance.

Everybody matters, but not enough to singlehandedly bring a project to a halt. OTOH if you can be guilted into staying longer then upper management can put off making yet another decision!

Besides, if these hotshots knew how to make good decisions, would they have agreed to pay you twice as much for less work?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
...if you can be guilted into staying longer then upper management can put off making yet another decision!
Yup!!!

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:32 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Truthfully I don't know why I am being so weak on this...I don't believe it is ego and I know it is not money.

...It's the type of situation that ties your gut in a knot.

My greatest concern at the moment is that I am going to make a bad decision in my effort to extricate myself from the situation. We are talking about relocating and I want to be sure that we do it because we want to go rather than doing it because I want to get away from my situation.
i'm hearing that you feel a responsibility to the project, not the people. a sign of a dedicated person who wants to see closure for something started. not necessarily a bad thing...but YOUR happiness comes first. you know you will do the right thing for yourself and family.
re relocating..i may be able to help here. while i was still in my career, i grew to dislike my local area so much i even considered putting my house on the market. my dh2b gave me some great advice...essentially he said "to wait a few months after FIRE and see if your feelings toward the area are linked to the feelings about the former j*b. if you really want to move, i will look for a transfer."
and guess what? he was spot on. i am enjoying the area more than i ever did since i moved here in 1980. it's amazing what changes once the stress is removed...
Old 09-25-2008, 08:00 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
At this time I am working out a plan how to extricate myself from this position.
That statement sums up the problem pretty well DangerMouse....

You need to work out a "plan" to place your hands on your desk, push back, stand up and walk out? Oh boy.......

Please don't take this negatively, I absolutely don't mean it in a demeaning sense. But your problem is along the same lines of someone who can't push back from the table at meal time and is therefore overweight, or who can't stop smoking, or who can't stop excessive alcohol consumption, or can't stop watching excessive amounts of tv, etc. There's no reason you need to work one more hour except for your own decision to do so. But like the person who wishes they could eat less, smoke less, drink less, watch tv less, you can't work less.

Have you thought about counseling? A few sessions with a good pro might help you understand whatever is driving you to this unwanted behavior and bring it under control.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally I said I would help them out as they are doing a software conversion before year end. Of course that project has turned into a total cluster. People who are totally clueless on how accounting should work are having input, IT is making decision that should be made by accounting, we have a couple of control freaks involved and everyone wants to be involved in every decision. It's the type of situation that ties your gut in a knot.
Danger,
This is the reason you left in the first place. Taking away who knows what about what and who wants to be in charge, this company needs to mature. That can't happen as long as you are there -- and you can't fight all the battles if management doesn't want to solve them. So, a circular argument describing a dysfunctional situation.

You don't need this headache. They need to figure it out, and you need to just wish them good luck. Put your energies to something that will give you good results, unfortunately, it's not this group of people.

Separate how you feel about the work situation and where you and your husband want to retire. That's two separate things. You come first: the last thing on your company's mind is your well-being -- that's why you left. You come first.

-- Rita
(been there, done that, retired now)
Old 09-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

They didn't hire a replacement because they figured they could talk you into staying on one way or another.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote