Join Early Retirement Today

Downside of retirement
Old 11-07-2016, 10:07 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Downside of retirement

Not saying that this applies to most folks here, but there's been another recent thread where someone with 10s of millions net worth in his 40s and had been retired for 2 years and was a bit unhappy/depressed.

Darrow Kirkpatrick's blog post addresses some issues and concerns that some folks have with regard to retirement.

The Downside of Retirement - Can I Retire Yet?

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2016, 10:15 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"Yes, retiring is great fun for most people, at first."

I'm 10 years in and it's still fun to me. Maybe the fun stops in the next 10.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:23 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I dunno.

I read that article and wondered what he was talking about. None of it made any sense.

Maybe I avoided all that angst by not retiring "too" early?
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:33 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I just finished my 8th year of retirement and I can't begin to imagine working ever again. Looking forward to my next 8 years of ER, then 8 more and 8 more and 8 more......

Even though it has been 8 years since I was regularly part of the daily rat race including the awful commute I had (and it royally sucked even twice a week), I still take some small joy whenever I see local traffic and transit reports or hear a story about the latest problems with the Long Island Rail Road (as long as nobody got hurt). And I dread it whenever I have to drive around in rush-hour traffic, a rare event even in the afternoon.

The way I have set up my medium-term and long-term retirement, I'll have MORE money available in 6 years, when I will have unfettered access to my IRA, the first of my "reinforcements," with the others being my frozen company pension and SS.

Nope, no downside of retirement here......
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:16 AM   #5

There's a downside? Really?
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:26 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Of course. There's a downside to everything. Just watch the news and read stuff on the internet and you will plunge to the depths of despair in no time at all.

You can do it too. Start up your own blog and make big money making people miserable. Just when you thought you had it good...nope, no way, see it says right here that your life is meaningless and it's all your fault.

Amazing.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:42 AM   #7

Admittedly, I'm only 7+ months into ER, but I can't fathom that I would ever get tired of it. In fact, I just turned down a lucrative offer to come back to my former mega for some sporadic consulting. Can't picture myself dealing with the tedious stuff anymore, if I don't absolutely have to.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:49 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

No downside here. My only regret is that in hindsight we could have watched our expenses closer and retired 10 years sooner.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:57 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
At the 11+ year point about the only downside I can think of is I'm now on the short end of the stick and will someday be running out of time to enjoy it.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:04 PM   #10

Again, I believe it stems from what place your w*rk takes in your life. If you job is more or less the center, your quest in life, the thing you want to do *and* outside of work you really don't have many interests/hobbies... then yes, retirement, long term, might be a challenge. But if your w*rk is really just a distraction (not to say you don't like it) and a means to pay your bills *and* you can take time off and never be bored at home, have all kinds of hobbies/interests and "stuff you want to do", then I'd wager that retirement will be the nirvana you hope it to be.
doneat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Just think of the poor slob who has to do the job you left behind , especially if you weren't replaced and your workload was added to someone
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Just think of the poor slob who has to do the job you left behind , especially if you weren't replaced and your workload was added to someone
The guy who replaced me was eager to have the job and enjoyed it, as I did. Later on he was enticed into private industry with their underhanded tactic of tripling his pay. Last I heard he was a VP of something at a major defense megacorp.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:26 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm now on the short end of the stick and will someday be running out of time to enjoy it.
When I want to really feel depressed, I use the tape measure analogy -- where each inch marks your age. A stick is a little too subjective.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Yes. Now that I am retired, I no longer have weekends. Or long weekends. Or holidays. Or vacations.

I do not get that great Friday afternoon feeling that the weekend is here. Or the excitement of leaving the office early to start a vacation. Or the thrill of Monday morning, ready to get back to the grind.

I often forget what day it is. It seems like it's always Saturday. My projects take longer, as I start them later and stop working on them sooner. I do not put in as many hours as I can, just as many hours as I want.

I hope the workers here count their blessings.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
When I want to really feel depressed, I use the tape measure analogy -- where each inch marks your age. A stick is a little too subjective.
The trouble with a tape measure is that it has a defined length. A stick, OTOH is of undetermined length.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:48 PM   #16

Quote:
At the 11+ year point about the only downside I can think of is I'm now on the short end of the stick and will someday be running out of time to enjoy it.
In my 21st year. Not only can I not imagine working I almost can't believe I worked all those years. Sometimes I'll come across an old picture or something from those days that reminds me and I'll say: Yep. That's me alright. I can't pretend it didn't happen

As the years go faster and get fewer it reminds me of that that Neil Young song's lyrics: It's a dream. It's only a dream. And it's fading now. Fading away. A dream only a dream just a memory without any place to stay.

And of course the ever popular: The record shows, I took the blows and did my way.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:50 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The trouble with a tape measure is that it has a defined length. A stick, OTOH is of undetermined length.
But even an 8 footer has more inches than the vast majority of people have years
Old 11-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
But even an 8 footer has more inches than the vast majority of people have years
I don't measure my life in inches....
Old 11-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I know, you prefer a stick -

Me, I like a stake better. Yeah, I could measure my life in stakes...er steaks that is. I just added another last night. A wonderful wagyu NY -

But the steaks are getting low in the freezer and the lobster tails are gone. Time to buy on the next "internet specials" coming soon!
Old 11-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

My DH is going back to work at age 57. He retired 5 years ago when laid off and could not find work. He has worked on consulting projects and went through 1 1/2 without any work and is itching to work. This new project will be 2-3 years (h e is an engineer) so that will probably take him into real retirement. Everyone is different.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote