Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow, there is some great input in this thread, THANKS! We have begun selling, tossing, giving away stuff. It is very freeing.

Re: hobbies - you are right, this is a tough area. DH has 4 guitars and 5 telescopes. Thankfully he got rid of the really big telescope years ago (it took up a large corner of our living room). He claims he will get rid of more of the astronomy equipment. We'll see. But then there are books (his and mine). I think we'll donate a lot to the library and then borrow whatever we want to read. One of the hobbies I plan to take into retirement is my knitting. (My favorite thing: Project Linus National Headquarters - Home) Knitting needles don't take up a lot of space!!

One of the things that has been hardest to let go of is the exercise equipment. The truth is that it's old and we hardly use it. We have a treadmill, stationary bike, and 2 large weight benches. Selling it makes it feel like we are admitting we really don't exercise! But we have decided to chuck it all except a few individual dumbbells. That will be a huge dent. The truth is, we'd rather go for long walks than anything. Shoes don't take up much space (especially when we throw away the 12 or so extra pairs of old running/walking shoes that are too broken down to be supportive, but seemed too good to toss).

It's just amazing how much stuff we have, even though we are not all that materialistic compare to the average person. But we're making progress!!

CJ

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2007, 05:39 PM   #42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
But then there are books (his and mine). I think we'll donate a lot to the library and then borrow whatever we want to read.
Ah, yes - - then there are the books! I have been working on that this week.

Boxes of books owned, and year:

36 boxes: 1975
85 boxes: 1999
40 boxes: 2002
20 boxes: as of last weekend, have been working on culling!
10 boxes: Goal for ER and moving to Missouri in 2009-2010

In the 21st century, we can get so much information on the internet, or online, that I really feel I can reduce the albatross of 85 boxes of books that I felt I needed to keep, just a few years ago.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:00 PM   #43

Wow, that's quite a stash of books! We also had the question, what do we do with a set of early 1980's Funk & Wagnalls encyclopedias The information is out of date, and who needs the books when you have the internet?? I called the library & asked if they knew what we could do with them. They said they would take them as a donation, probably to put on the "for sale" shelf.

CJ
Old 10-15-2007, 07:23 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have an auction.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:28 PM   #45

Then have a second one the next day.

Oh it feels good to unload stuff!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:54 PM   #46
Administrator

Old 10-15-2007, 10:38 PM   #47

When I was a kid, I read my parents' entire F&W encyclopedia set over the course of a year and a half...along with a children's dictionary (at the time no one told me that they were for reference; I thought you were supposed to read them!!)

While it is not the same as holding a book on your lap, I do find myself randomly surfing the 'net many days...I'll click on one site and then follow links to something else. Fascinating...
Old 10-16-2007, 08:01 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Look that up in your Funk & Wagnalls...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:07 AM   #49

Gumby & Achiever51 - send me your address & I'll mail 'em to you!!
Old 10-16-2007, 11:46 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
The hobbies are what bring you pleasure so why downsize them until you can't do them anymore?
Good point! In fact, DW and I were sitting in a Mexican restaurant Sunday evening waiting for dinner to arrive and I brought the subject up. I told her I was wondering if there was any way she could sort of "compress" the space her quilting "stuff" consumes. I'll spare you the details of her response, but you can imagine. Then she asked when I was going to get rid of most of my ham radio equipment so we'd have more space.......... It really wasn't a pretty discussion. I quickly ordered a couple more Negra Modello's. Shots of tequilla might have been more appropriate!

From TromboneAl:

Quote:
"Hobby that requires stuff and takes space: Collecting vintage cars.

Hobby that takes less space: Watching TV"
Good point TA!

In the end, we concluded that we have some opportunities to enjoy our hobbies more space efficiently, but we're not interested in giving them up. Watching other folks kayak on TV just wouldn't be the same as being outside doing it ourselves!

As my reward for bringing the subject up, I received several assignments.

1. Move the kayak storage rack on the north wall of the garage higher so DW doesn't bump her head when getting out of her car.
2. Pick up and spread a load of mulch on DW's rose beds.
3. Move the vintage Collins 75S3-B HF receiver from the dining room table where I plopped it upon returning from an electronic swap fest several months ago.......
4. Free up about two kilobux cash to get her a nifty new quilting bench in lieu of the folding tables she uses now. (Will take less space )
5. Get a new attitude about household chores. For example, grass mowing, painting/decorating, car repairs, bill paying, etc., are my hobbies and are not to be considered chores!

Sometimes it might be better to just let things go and not bring them up for discussion.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:01 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Good point! In fact, DW and I were sitting in a Mexican restaurant Sunday evening waiting for dinner to arrive and I brought the subject up. I told her I was wondering if there was any way she could sort of "compress" the space her quilting "stuff" consumes. I'll spare you the details of her response, but you can imagine. Then she asked when I was going to get rid of most of my ham radio equipment so we'd have more space.......... It really wasn't a pretty discussion. I quickly ordered a couple more Negra Modello's. Shots of tequilla might have been more appropriate!

From TromboneAl:

Good point TA!

In the end, we concluded that we have some opportunities to enjoy our hobbies more space efficiently, but we're not interested in giving them up. Watching other folks kayak on TV just wouldn't be the same as being outside doing it ourselves!

As my reward for bringing the subject up, I received several assignments.

1. Move the kayak storage rack on the north wall of the garage higher so DW doesn't bump her head when getting out of her car.
2. Pick up and spread a load of mulch on DW's rose beds.
3. Move the vintage Collins 75S3-B HF receiver from the dining room table where I plopped it upon returning from an electronic swap fest several months ago.......
4. Free up about two kilobux cash to get her a nifty new quilting bench in lieu of the folding tables she uses now. (Will take less space )
5. Get a new attitude about household chores. For example, grass mowing, painting/decorating, car repairs, bill paying, etc., are my hobbies and are not to be considered chores!

Sometimes it might be better to just let things go and not bring them up for discussion.
Next time, bring it up on an Internet forum with a bunch of strangers, and we'll help you formulate the correct response............also, I do hope you own a comfortable couch.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:21 PM   #52

Quote:
Geez, you might as well just go to work!
Old 10-16-2007, 12:28 PM   #53

Quote:

You've been married how long?? And only now you're learning this kernel of wisdom? Gotta pick your battles, and know when to fight 'em!
Old 10-16-2007, 01:09 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
You've been married how long?? And only now you're learning this kernel of wisdom? Gotta pick your battles, and know when to fight 'em!

37 years........... Yeah, you're right. Normally I do pretty well at remembering to not poke the bear! What was I thinking?

She's substitute teaching today. I've got a kettle of minestrone soup going on the stove, got a couple of easy to notice chores done and picked her up a bottle of Bailey's. Also loaded two of the kayaks on top of the truck so she can see I'm planning on taking her Thursday (temps supposed to be in the low 70's) without her asking. And I still have plenty of time for my nap.

All will be well...........
Old 10-16-2007, 01:19 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Geez, you might as well just go to work!
I know it's just my point of view and personal feelings about it....... But even if I had to do ugly chores around the house 24 x 7, that would be infinitely better than going to w*rk!

DW management is tough, but not nearly as tough as boss management was!
Old 10-16-2007, 01:23 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Next time, bring it up on an Internet forum with a bunch of strangers, and we'll help you formulate the correct response............also, I do hope you own a comfortable couch.............

Yeah, I know I can always count of you guys to steer me in the right direction!

Isn't having a comfortable couch in the family room on the same level as having running water in the kitchen? An RE guy without a comfortable couch? What would be the point of RE?

Naptime here........
Old 10-16-2007, 01:54 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Isn't having a comfortable couch in the family room on the same level as having running water in the kitchen? An RE guy without a comfortable couch? What would be the point of RE?
Well, for me, I prefer to nap in a bed. However, the couch we have is very comfortable, although DW wasn't crazy about the color. Here's how I "sold" her:

Me: This couch is so comfortable, I could fall asleep right here.......

DW: I don't like the color AT ALL............

Me: Can I ask you a serious question?

DW: Yes..........

Me: In the "unlikely" event that we argue and are mad at each other, who will be the one sleeping on the couch, you or me?

DW: I think you know the answer.......

Me: So, do you like the color now?

DW: Works for me............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:13 PM   #58

Quote:
youbet, you made my day! Sometimes it takes me more than once to learn something, but that is one lesson that I will never learn!
Old 10-16-2007, 02:39 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Me: So, do you like the color now?

DW: Works for me............
LOL!