Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-09-2016, 12:07 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Take pictures of memory items - keep the memory and toss the item.

I also take pictures of stuff being donated.

There is a period where you wonder if you're making progress. (During the sorting stage it gets worse before it gets better.) Then you get to a place where you see progress and it makes the place look nicer and you have more cupboard space.

Just keep telling yourself, "It's okay to let go."

The things you give away will benefit someone else.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2016, 12:24 PM   #22

It can be hard to let go of things that have memories associated with them. I recently read the book "The Life-Changing Art of Tidying Up".... Seems like a silly subject for a book - but it really changed how I look at things when deciding whether to toss them or not.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Life-Chang.../dp/1607747308

FWIW - I am sooooo not into self help type books - but this one had some good ways to let go of objects, emotionally. And yes - that includes those T-shirts from the concert you went to 20 years ago, or the tools you bought thinking you'd have xyz as a hobby.
Downsizing - What to do with all my stuff?
Old 01-09-2016, 12:52 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Downsizing - What to do with all my stuff?

The tactic we learned that worked was to select the most meaningful items of a group and toss the rest. I have some delightful whimsical drawings DS did when he was little, and a few notes he wrote me, but report cards, etc. are gone. Same with my awards, plaques, etc. I kept the crystal memorabilia and the certificate that took me 10 years of exams to obtain. I don't miss the rest.

A scanner or even a good camera can preserve special photos. Be sure to distribute copies to the family so you have backups!

I'd take the corporate service awards to a We Buy Gold place but wait till the price of gold goes back up. Some may be plated and have minimal value; my 5-year award was 10k gold. The 10-year award was "gold filled!"
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
It can be hard to let go of things that have memories associated with them. I recently read the book "The Life-Changing Art of Tidying Up".... Seems like a silly subject for a book - but it really changed how I look at things when deciding whether to toss them or not.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Life-Chang.../dp/1607747308

FWIW - I am sooooo not into self help type books - but this one had some good ways to let go of objects, emotionally. And yes - that includes those T-shirts from the concert you went to 20 years ago, or the tools you bought thinking you'd have xyz as a hobby.
This is a great book. I also like Spark Joy, her new book. But, it should be read after the first book.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
You could hold an auction, with or without professional handling.
That was going to be my suggestion and it might be what we'll do. Go through the house, decide what we're keeping and tell the auctioneer "Make the rest go away".
Old 01-09-2016, 02:09 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I heard a radio piece about a popular new book or website or something by some woman about decluttering that is very popular. I think the message was that if an item brings you joy, keep it, otherwise get rid of it. http://www.amazon.com/The-Life-Chang.../dp/1607747308

I'm sure there's more to it, but that's what I got from half-listening to the piece. I'm assuming that deciding what to keep and what to pitch is at least as big of a challenge as the mechanics of getting rid of stuff. Many of us go with "it might be useful some day" but it sounds like you need to cut a lot deeper than that, as do I.

Edit: Missed that this was the same book Rodi mentioned earlier.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:44 PM   #27

Quote:

Amazon.com: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing (8601421528498): Marie Kondo: Books

+1
Very much agree. I read a couple of books on simplicity after reading about them on Bob Lowry's blog. Did this while remodeling last year and it changed decluttering from a mechanical process to one where I was really able to look at what I had accumulated and why. This extended to people, places, and things. Big upside is the amount of "space"--psychological, physical and social--I now have in my life.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

We downsized from 4200 square feet to 3300 square feet 13 years ago, but didn't have time to clean out and throw out "stuff" since we had two weeks to get out.

I inherited a bunch of "stuff" from my parents and a 99 year old aunt. It was an incredible effort to just move their "stuff" on top of my "stuff"--requiring space equal to 5 double car garages. Now it's time to do my kids a favor and dump the "stuff" while I'm in good enough physical condition to liquidate the stuff.

We will be moving into another house the end of this month. Now it's time to clean out and leave behind the "old stuff." We'll hold an inside garage sale after we move the good "stuff" and haul many truckloads to the city dump before it's over.

After all, it's just "stuff", and you cannot take it to Heaven. And our kids don't need anything.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:25 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Mr. A. has about a thousand pounds of old LPs going back to before I was born.

We don't have a record player and he balks at the cost of modern ones.

He won't throw or donate the items away, but has no idea what market there may be for them, and I have no time to research it.

If I survive him, I will end up throwing them away.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:56 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

It's tough. Been through it a few times. Losing a garage stall and losing a basement.

I also remember hauling MANY truck loads of stuff to the landfill out of my in-laws basement. Most of it sentimental stuff that no one wanted. The bad part was, we had to do it without the in-laws there or else all the reminiscing about every item would have taken forever.

We keep telling ourselves, "we have to do it", as we have no kids to pawn it off on.

We're facing another move in a month, but this time to a bit more space and a third garage stall. I'm ticked that my tools will move from the storage space to the house.
Turn_the_Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:03 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Even after downsizing to a 1,970 square foot house two years ago, I still make it a point to fill the 80 gallon trash can every week.

I still have boxes of old receipts, business records from my closed corporation, hobby stuff in the attic and closets full of clothes we will never wear. So I still have lots of ammunition for the trash can!
Old 01-10-2016, 06:28 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

I hope you wouldn't actually throw them out; someone would love them.

In 1997 I put a stack of vinyl LPs out for the trash-classic Rock and jazz, in good condition, that my Ex left behind when he moved out. A neighbor knocked on the door a little while later and shed if he could take them. Heck, yes.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:59 AM   #33

When we married, we each had 1088 sq ft homes and we were moving to a 1400 sq ft home.
She filled her patio 3 times with stuff for Salvation Army. I sold all the collectibles on eBay. I took stuff into work for the production people to have. I put up a notice on all the bulletin boards in my condo for free stuff. Then put a free stuff on Craig's List for the furniture.
Whatever was left went to Salvation Army.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:05 AM   #34

Quote:

He won't throw or donate the items away, but has no idea what market there may be for them, and I have no time to research it.

There is definitely a market for old vinyl. You should be able to get some serious $$.

I sold my old LPs about 5 years ago - my 300 albumns were worth about $300 to a wholesale guy who stalks garage sales. (I'd like to think it was my good taste in music that made them worth that much.) He started offering $20 for all of them, then kept upping it.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:08 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Even after downsizing to a 1,970 square foot house two years ago, I still make it a point to fill the 80 gallon trash can every week.
I should do this! I downsized from a 1600 sf home to a 1500 sf home last summer, but my new home has many times the closet/storage space that the old one had. With so many empty closets the motivation to throw out a lot of stuff is reduced; but this can't last forever.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:51 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Everyone tells me this, but then it starts to be, "welllll...what exact titles does he have? Oh and condition is very important, have to see pictures..." and there is no WAY I am doing a title inventory, much less photos of hundreds of platters.

Anyway, merely possessing them seems to "spark joy" in Mr. A.

Quote:
There is definitely a market for old vinyl. You should be able to get some serious $$.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:05 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

We downsized from a 3600 sq ft home plus finished basement to an 8X8X16 container and a year later to a 1300 sq foot condo. It was a great experience and it was truly liberating. And after we unloaded the container we still gave things away to flood victims in our area.

We took seven months. We painted the entire house prior to selling. Every time we emptied a room for painting we made certain that we only took back items for 'staging'. Prior to even starting that process we did three 'sweeps' to downsize. In then end we became brutal...but not brutal enough.

We gave away so much to people who needed/wanted it. Bedroom sets, sofa sets, etc, fridge. We did not sell very much. It was either given to friends, relatives, or sent to the battered women's shelter. Books and school supplies went to the local school, library, or were donated to the local book sale that raises money for literacy.

We had not purchased much furniture over the past few years. Thinks like our dining room suite was not suited to the smaller, open concept places that we hoped to buy or rent. So in discarding items we had an eye to redecorating in a different environment. We kept a high end bedroom set, leather sofa, family heirloom chest, marble tables, oak table/chairs. Just about everything else went.

Our lifestyle has completely changed. We are down to one car. We travel 5 months of the year. If we buy a book and cannot pass it on to someone we immediately donate to the library. We previously had a wall of books. Don't need that any more and we use the library extensively.

We are no longer accumulating but we are still discarding things...some clothing, wall pictures (we have fewer walls), etc

Bottom line. We are so happy that we downsized and de-cluttered our lives.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:19 PM   #38

Quote:

Agree with others, there may be some real value there; vinyl has almost become a cult. Heck, bring them to Nashville and post an ad on craigslist--you'll have lines of people, likely with some well-known musicians at the head of it.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:01 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

We sold and/or gave away a lot of stuff when we downsized thru a combination of:
- 5miles app (you can easily do on your cell phone)
- posting on local community garage sale forum (I did not even know it existed)
- craigslist

Whenever someone came to pick something up, I would often give them additional items for free (or very cheap) just to get rid of the items or to help them out.

I made some money, helped a lot of people out, and quickly got rid of MANY things that we just did not need and would have been clutter had we kept it.

As a pointer, instead of using my personal email address, I created a free yahoo login account to use just for posting items until I got rid of everything.
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #40

Too many boomers are currently unloading too much stuff. The local Salvation Army has at various times balked at my donations of books, furniture, small appliances, and stereo equipment, all of which were in excellent condition.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote