Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-16-2010, 08:13 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

There was a time when this seemed like just what we wanted. But then we began to realize that maintenance, dealing with severe weather, and the need for some kind of dwelling on land somewhere, as well as our ability to get steady health care in old age presented just too many problems. It sounded great when we were in our late 30's and early 40's, but other issues intervened and we went for a real house at the beach near lakes and a small day sailor.

There are more issues that retiring in a house. Way more.

z
HsiaoChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #42
Confused about dryer sheets

For me maintenance isn't an issue , there is 2-3 weeks work on the bottom each year , and a few touch ups , but I've just built a big shed that allows me to do that in the dead of winter.
The shed also accomodates my wifes interests , with a mezzanine level overlooking our vegetable gardens.
We grow all our own fruit and vegetables , the garden is productive all year , we have 20 acres for stock , and I do a lot of fishing.
Where I launch my tender , is right out in front of a big regional hospital.
A mate (in his 70's) and I were out fishing last night , it was dark by the time we got back to the beach , but both our families are right for fish for a few days.
The Huon Seal is a beautiful boat , and I can see I'll have no end of mates very willing to come out sailing/fishing with me , as I age.
I want to keep active , and "doing it" for as long as I can.
Regards Rob J.
Portland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:39 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
There was a time when this seemed like just what we wanted. But then we began to realize that maintenance, dealing with severe weather, and the need for some kind of dwelling on land somewhere, as well as our ability to get steady health care in old age presented just too many problems. It sounded great when we were in our late 30's and early 40's, but other issues intervened and ... there are more issues that retiring in a house. Way more.
Well, it seemed to work for Eric and Susan Hiscock. Mike Richey and Helen Tew made multiple single-handed Atlantic crossing in their 80's. So it is possible for elderly people to enjoy active sailing lifestyles. As Lin and Larry Pardey (now 65 and 71, respectively) say, "cruising has no limits!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
we went for a real house at the beach near lakes and a small day sailor.
That is certainly a very reasonable / sensible option.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Well, it seemed to work for Eric and Susan Hiscock. Mike Richey and Helen Tew made multiple single-handed Atlantic crossing in their 80's. So it is possible for elderly people to enjoy active sailing lifestyles. As Lin and Larry Pardey (now 65 and 71, respectively) say, "cruising has no limits!"
When we were cruising through Ft. Lauderdale we met a nice Canadian couple who were just ending their 12 year cruise through the Caribbean. After knee and hip replacement surgeries, they had decided that they could no longer trust their 80+ year-old bodies and were shipping their 39 foot sailboat back to Vancouver Island.*

We were in some bay in the Carolinas and were intrigued when a middle-aged couple in a 40' aluminum sloop flying a French flag anchored next to us. We invited them over for cocktails and discovered that this was their landfall after crossing from France. We were astounded. They were as fresh and relaxed as if they had just returned from an afternoon sail around the bay.

*Yep, there are several companies that ship yachts all over the world. They have ships that partially submerge. You motor your boat right in and they put stands under it. When the ship is full, they pump out the water. It is sort of expensive, but you can ship your boat to say, the Mediterranean, cruise there for a season and then ship it back, without sailing across the Atlantic on your own. You can even live aboard during the crossing.

We considered shipping Third Age (our boat) from Rhode Island to the Bahamas in the fall of 2006, but they were sold out.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFloat View Post
We found our dream boat last year, a 46 Nordhavn trawler. We have owned boats for many years but decided that it was time to sell the house and most of everything else, move onto a boat and see where that goes. FIRE Calc said we were close to having enough money and we can tolerate the financial risk so off we went. Bought the boat last Fall in So Cailif and brought it up the coast to our home port of Anacortes, WA just north of Seattle. Last summer we spent 120 days going to Alaska and back. Next year Mexico and places south. After nearly a year and 3500 mile we wouldn't change for anything or any amount of money or security.
Here's a picture of us last summer in Alaska.

Frank Osborne
Anacortes, WA
Frank, be sure to consider your range for the leg south of San Diego. I know of one boater who purchased a mulit-M yacht last year for cruising but then learned that his engine consumed so much fuel that Baha was not an option.

(Mom of a boat yard owner)
Old 03-18-2010, 01:12 PM   #46

Friends from our cruising days just traded their Morgan 41 classic for this, fully outfitted including genset, solar panels, watermaker, latest RayMarine chartplotter and instruments, and a washer/dryer.

Envy makes my smiley is green .
Old 03-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
We were in some bay in the Carolinas and were intrigued when a middle-aged couple in a 40' aluminum sloop flying a French flag anchored next to us. We invited them over for cocktails and discovered that this was their landfall after crossing from France. We were astounded. They were as fresh and relaxed as if they had just returned from an afternoon sail around the bay.
Bernard Moitessier and Françoise de Chazalet?
Old 03-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #48
Dryer sheet wannabe

Yep,,,,,,big catamarans are the way to go for speed and comfort, here is mine www.silentfaith.mysite.com and I am getting another one once this one sells,,,,11 years cruising and love it.
silentfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:15 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I've pitched this here before, but it's been a while - so I'll do so again.

I run a site with a buddy of mine - The C-Brats. Like here, it consists of tons of cool folks, sharing knowledge and experiences that focus on quality of life. The common bond being, C-Dory boats.

While not for everyone, these vessels seem to fit a lifestyle that is very common 'round these parts - adventurous, fun loving, simple and frugal. They're as sea-worthy as anything else of equivalent size, with 22-25' models routinely navigating waters as adventerous as the Inside Passage. They cost far less to maintain and run than virtually anything in their class, and being easily trailerable opens up opportunities that are otherwise difficult to obtain.

We've members who routinely cross the country with them in tow, exploring waterways along the way. While on land, they perform adequately as an RV - not all the usual bells and whistles, and you do have to climb up into them - but you can take them anywhere a small travel trailer might go.

Our most glowing example of C-Brats, is a couple to behold - they invoke envious emotions, with their grand adventures that never seem to end. I highly recommend reading about El and Bill Fiero's travels aboard Halcyon Days, their C-Dory 22 Cruiser - they're a model for the rest of us C-Brats, in showing how to live life to it's fullest, in a manner that's do-able without breaking the bank. Bill Fiero is an excellent writer and a retired geologist; his insights and observations about land and water features they see makes for a great read.

Enjoy!

Bill
Da Nag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #50

We are all just pikers. If you're gonna dream, dream BIG
MarketWatch.com
Old 04-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No, dream practical. A C-Dory fits the bill.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #52
Dryer sheet wannabe

I would love to get a Catamaran to live and sail on. Leopard cats are amazing. Same with Dolphins out of Brazil.
Sidekickeh is offline   Reply With Quote