1. Teaching Shakespeare and poetry to cowboys up in the foothills of California's Gold Country. (Just be sure to keep a spittoon outside the door.)
2. Teaching reading, writing and drama to promising inner-city kids and talented migrant farm workers.
3. Teaching middle-class kids how to write essays that win them fat scholarships to top-flight universities.
4. Turning gang members into fans of Sophocles, so they re-write "Oedipus Rex" in rap.
5. Mentoring new college grads (from #2, above) when they enter the teaching profession themselves.
6. Do #2-5 in the heart of Silicon Valley, and get to meet Jaime Escalante (of "Stand and Deliver" fame) at a mentor workshop at Stanford.
7. Move to a mid-Western city, mid-career, and prep kids for Ivy League educations at a school built in the heart of a ghetto.
Oh, yeah--that's right. I got to do them all! They were, indeed, dreams come true.
Sadly, though, the dream jobs I did not get to do: becoming a professional ballerina or tap dancer, or a concert pianist, or a singer on Broadway.....( FI or not, one needs talent!
Or a tour guide on a bus in Paris.......
Or a cross-country back-packer.......
Or riding my bike from coast to coast.....
(These last two I can't do now because of DH's illness.)
BUT the best dream job is the current one: ER!!!