Join Early Retirement Today

drilling through rock
Old 01-21-2007, 11:07 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

drilling through rock

I have many "life after FIRE" projects planned or in the works, so I probably shouldn't seek out another. But I was window shopping yesterday and saw lamps made out of Lake Superior rock like this one:

These lamps are pretty and I am always collecting rocks from down by the lake. A nice gabbro or basalt lamp seems fun. But, how would you drill a hole for a lamp kit through this very hard rock? Any ideas?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: drilling through rock
Old 01-21-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

So I'll respond to myself. Greg is on the other computer and saw my post. He says the lamp is "interesting," which is Minnesota nice for ugly. He also said I would have to buy an expensive diamond drill bit.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Possibly a masonry bit.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
So I'll respond to myself. Greg is on the other computer and saw my post. He says the lamp is "interesting," which is Minnesota nice for ugly. He also said I would have to buy an expensive diamond drill bit.

Yeah I was going to say a mason drill bit. There are also some cheaper 'cobalt' drill bits at sears that go through metal.

I think Greg just doesn't want the lamp in the house.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
So, Greg's assortment of cooking pots and pans are "butt ugly" and your rock lamp is "interesting". Interior design discussions must get lively there.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:42 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I was window shopping yesterday and saw lamps made out of Lake Superior rock like this one:
I like the lamp. Everyone has different tastes. My girlfriend just loves furniture done in 'forest cabin' style where the fabric has pictures of deer, elk and bears on it. I think her taste in furniture is . . . interesting.
Linney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:48 AM   #7

Quote:
But, how would you drill a hole for a lamp kit through this very hard rock? Any ideas?
A masonary bit(s) and a hammer-drill should work fine. Been there...Done that. 8)
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:52 AM   #8

Dang! We've been thru this one so many times I feel like my head is already diamond studded--but somewhat less pointy nowadays. One really needs a diamond embedded drill bit if you plan on doing more than one lamp. You need a drill press also if you plan on doing lots of igneous rocks such as (I'm sure) DW will choose as her first choice in drillable rocks--for lamps and other assorted trinkets. We already have a wet saw with a diamond blade. Smooth. I could make her that lamp if she supplies all the rocks, buys me a drill bit and press. I can rig up a 'wet' drill press with a hose.

Also, my new goal is to get rid of as much plastic, teflon, and unnatural toxins as possible over the next year. That means we go back to cast iron pots and pans. I'll slowly de-toxify all the cupboards, replacing plastic drinking cups with jelly jar-ware, i.e glass. I'm now on a mission. Rocks and electricity don't mix (except high up on mountains during storms). No more polyester either. Seriously.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:09 PM   #9

I really like that lamp. I went to a craft fair a few years back and came home with four different colors and shapes of rocks that had the words, Faith, Believe, Imagine and Dream on them. My family could not believe that I went on a bus trip to another state and came home with rocks. I like them very much and of course the bus trip was with a bunch of my female friends and we enjoyed ourselves. I could care less about craft fairs, but value the time that I spend with my friends!
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:53 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
Dang! We've been thru this one so many times I feel like my head is already diamond studded--but somewhat less pointy nowadays.
Sounds like you're about to be relieved of your décor duties and put in charge of bathroom doors...

Why not buy the nice lady a diamond-tipped drill press and let 'er rip? I think she's earned it! Besides she could take her skills on HGTV's "That's Clever!" or "Crafters Coast to Coast".

Lawyers drilling holes through rocks. There's a tremendous number of punch lines in there somewhere.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:10 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Martha,
To state the obvious: be sure to wear some good eye protection and hearing protection as you engage in this project.
They look a little like turtles stacked up on a log over a creek sunning themselves. Interesting . . .
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:40 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting,,,,very interesting, actually. Have to file that in my "possibly" mental slot. Reminds me of the glued together marble tetrahedron paper-weights we used to make as kids.

Black and Decker used to make an attachment for a handheld drill that allowed you to drill perpendicular to almost any surface. It was a six-sided plastic sleeve with an extension shaft that you placed between the drill, through the sleeve, and into the back of the chuck. The bottom of the sleeve had a v-notch on opposing sides for drilling on corners, a semi-circle notch on two sides for drilling in round stock, and a pyramidal notch on the two remaining sides for drilling on edge in 3/4" or 1" or 1 1/2" stock. Heck of a lot cheaper than a drill press if they still make them, and I did a lot of woodworking with that "cheap little thing". Pretty sure I still have mine, even though I have a complete woodshop now.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:56 AM   #13

I think this is still mildly on-topic. We (DW & I) have talked about this sort of crafty/not too artsy stuff quite a bit. Oftentimes we (mainly me) discussed making things for money to supplement retirement income--just a bit short of dumpster diving and less organic too. :

Originally, I wanted to make little glass sun catchers while full timing in the motor home. I thought we could make a half a dozen simple designs (like little stained glass humming birds) and sell them at arts and crafts fairs as we traveled across the country. Easy to make, should be quite profitable considering that material costs are probably less than $2-$3/item, and should sell for about $20. My guess is that it would take about fifteen minutes to a half an hour to make each one--if we were on a roll.

I thought we could make them at various campgrounds with electric service when we laid up for a few days. I used to make little jewelry boxes, stained glass coin plates, and Xmas ornaments in the winter months. But everyone I know and like now has one or two of these items so I quit.

So, to hi-jack DW's thread (although I suspect she won't mind), has anyone thought about this artsy-craftsy way of making a little money on the side? Has anyone here turned a hobby into a money making machine in their retirement? What can I do with my toilet skills?
Old 01-22-2007, 09:56 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
has anyone thought about this artsy-craftsy way of making a little money on the side? Has anyone here turned a hobby into a money making machine in their retirement? What can I do with my toilet skills?
Hey, if you're into ceramic sculptures then take a look at Bob Clyatt's work: http://www.clyattsculpture.com/

A woodworking friend of mine has supported his California wine habit for years with spice racks, military shadowboxes, & custom picture frames. Now he's branching out to laser engraving for his 62nd birthday.

Seriously, though, all your 100-year-old-home handyman skills don't have to go to waste. You could probably go house-to-house in your neighborhood grooming faucets, scrubbing refrigerator coils, patching walls, unclogging sink drains, replacing toilet flapper valves, and hanging pictures. It might get you a few strange looks at the campground but I guess that'd work with RVs too!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:31 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

My parents have planned for years on my retiring into the same gated community they are in, with the intended "sideline" of being one of the resident handymen. Keep telling them, sounds too much like w*rk to me.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:39 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

The craft show thing is something I really ponder frequently. Mom used to "drag" me to the ones she did all the time when I was a kid. That's how I learned to carve leather. Then I found out there was money to be made doing that.

Nowadays the only problem seems to be which one to focus on; leather carving, wood carving, woodworking, turning, weaving, gardening, tole painting, welding,,,, and a bunch of other interests I haven't even started to try out yet. The beauty of it will be that I won't have to over charge for the stuff, since it's just something to fill my time, not fill my larder.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:17 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Retiredbop, what is "tole painting?"

I have the same problem, there are all sorts of hobby type things I like to do and have done at one time or another. Gardening takes up a good part of summer along with all the northern summer activities like hiking, kayaking, canoeing, motorcycling, flower identification, tree identification, bird identification. . .

This winter I have been sitting on my a**, accomplishing very little. I am slowly starting my picture scan and edit project as in all the pictures are in big piles in the front room. I also like to do stained glass windows but it doesn't look like that will happen this winter. Now I want to do rock art like lamps and candle holders. Leather carving sounds fun too. Greg did a bit of that years ago.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:44 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Martha, first of all, if I haven't said it before; I LOVE that pink motorcycle.

OK, tole painting, it is a country style painting based upon early Germanic paintings used to decorate peasant metalware. Tinsmiths traveling the country would often use the paintings to enhance their products. Very reminiscent of Pennsylvania Dutch paintings. It is different from the very popular Donna Dewberry type of one-stroke painting and the common "decorative" painting seen at craft shows in that it "appears" more simplistic, more primitive. Example I rather prefer it.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:21 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

You don't have to make something just because you are retired......

I know, I know - those shackles of "being productive" take a long time to shake off. You don't have to have something to "show" for time spent....

Audrey
Old 01-22-2007, 08:22 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie
A masonary bit(s) and a hammer-drill should work fine. Been there...Done that. 8)
Ding! Ding! Ding!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote