Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Yes, the cop has an excuse..."you were going 72 in a 70", but if people had been whizzing by you at 85 for the 10 miles leading up to your ticket, I wonder what the judge would say.
My guess is "prove it."

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2016, 10:27 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
When I'm on an interstate, I set the cruise control to 8-9 mph over the speed limit and ride in the middle lane.
+1

Me too. Just under 10mph over the limit on interstates as a general rule. If there is lots of traffic, then I try to blend in. Of course if it's really congested, you have no choice.

On non-interstates I usually drive only about 5 mph over. There are more local police on US and state routes and sometimes they setup speed traps. Especially watch for the speed limit dropping. I don't know how often I've seen local police around a corner or over a hill right when the limit drops.

Around here (Ohio) the highway patrol is always out in force over holiday weekends. THICK.

If you are trying to avoid tickets, use Waze. It's got crowd sourced police locations and will alert you when you are coming up on one. Other hazards too. Very useful app for smartphones.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:27 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post

Btw, never gotten a ticket while inside that 9 mph over range.
I was pulled over going 85 in a posted 80... in west Texas where there are LOTS of open spaces....

Luckily got a warning.....

Now, the only time DW has been pulled over for speeding was doing 25 in a 20 zone in a park... and the ranger was riding her bumper... she was just told to slow down...

However, she speeds more than I do... I am like you, 5 to 10 over... she goes up to 15... sometimes peaks higher as I got her on the GPS going 96 at some point... I think it was in a 75 zone, but downhill....
Old 08-11-2016, 10:29 AM   #24

Southern Californians don't generally follow the lane "rules". You'll often find people driving the speed limit in the left lane paying no attention.

Around here, speed limits vary, but I typically am 75-80 and moving comfortably with traffic. You get the occasional nut driving 90, and the occasional person driving 55 (the real hazards IMO) in 65/70 zones.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:37 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Be very careful about that "safe zone". My last ticket was for going 68 in a 60 MPH zone. Sunday morning, two-lane road in the middle of flat farmland without another vehicle in sight - other than the TX Hwy Patrol car driving the opposite direction. Totally chicken-shirt deal.

My max speed now is no more than 2-3 MPH over the posted limit.

Yea, some Texas HP can be real sticklers.... my last post of doing 5 over was a HP...

BTW, any cop can give out a CS ticket... one of my friends just did defensive driving for not stopping at a stop sign... it is between two neighborhoods with just land around... easy to see if there is any traffic and is not used much anyhow... friend said he stopped, but did not 'settle' like you are supposed to.... he is really POed and it is costing him close to $200 for all the fees and course work plus a day of class...
Old 08-11-2016, 10:42 AM   #26

Quote:
My guess is "prove it."
Please allow me to submit into evidence my dashboard camera....
Old 08-11-2016, 10:43 AM   #27

I always give myself more than enough time to reach my destination so am never in a hurry. I drive the speed limit or a couple over if the speed limit is 55 or less. If the speed limit is 65 then i'll go 60-67. If it's 70+ speed limit then i'll go 65-70. I won't go over 70 even if the limit is 85. 85 is the max not the minimum. Nothing wrong with going under the limit. If a three lane highway, I stay in the middle lane and let others do their thing. If two lane I stay in the right unless there's a Really slow car then I may pass or I may just join them and go Really slow. Better to go 10 under than 1 over IMO. I'm not going to break the law just because other people are doing it. I'm not the hazard. The ones breaking the law are the hazard.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:48 AM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
People who follow the speed limit, really create a hazard as other cars come up fast behind them and for some reason these speeders don't look ahead, so suddenly they have to brake or swerve.
I'm sorry, but the party "creating a hazard" in this scenario is the speed racer moron who's not paying attention. It is definitely NOT the person following the speed limit.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Please allow me to submit into evidence my dashboard camera....
When was you camera last certified and calibrated, sir?

Can you prove the camera was, in fact, installed correctly and operating tamper-proof in your car at the time of the alleged events?

Please submit evidence the images were in no way altered since the recording took place.

-- Evil Judge
Old 08-11-2016, 10:51 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncaD View Post
I'm sorry, but the party "creating a hazard" in this scenario is the speed racer moron who's not paying attention. It is definitely NOT the person following the speed limit.
You are correct. That's not even a debatable thing, it's a fact.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:24 PM   #31

Perhaps one of the most important reasons to drive the speed limit and to drive defensively is to minimize as much as possible the deep risk of getting into a life-changing accident, and the psychological, emotional, financial and other negative consequences that would entail. In retirement, I've found it's vitally important to minimize as much deep risk as possible. Edited to add: I came to this conclusion after reading Dirk Cotton's blog posts on causes of retiree bankruptcy.

Dirk Cotton has some excellent posts (again) on risk faced in retirement. I started working on hedging fat tail risks before retirement and my ISP calls for me to do so through adequate insurances, optimiizing health, remaining cognizant of safety, estate planning, diversification, and liability matching.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Brother in law was a County Mounty for >25 years. He had a saying, "At 8, you're great. At 9, you're mine". Only time he would let people off was if they had a reason that made him laugh. Of course, he never told them that beforehand.

Interstate highways are a different category. I still seldom do more than 10 over. except in Chicago area where the interstate speed limit is 55. If you are not doing >70, you are run over. There I figure if I am passing 75% and being passed by 25%, I am doing just fine. I get a bid paranoid doing that when traffic thins out.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
Perhaps one of the most important reasons to drive the speed limit and to drive defensively is to minimize as much as possible the deep risk of getting into a life-changing accident, and the psychological, emotional, financial and other negative consequences that would entail.
While I agree there's no guarantee. I've been sitting stopped 4 different times and some moron ran into the back end of me. Each time was the same carelessly driving too fast. Every time they totaled their vehicles and I need a bumper replaced.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #34

I generally drive about 10 km (6.2 miles) over the posted limit.......if I'm in a hurry, (which is rare these days), I look out for someone who's booting it, let them get ahead, (but not out of sight), and allow them to run interference for me.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I generally drive about 10 km (6.2 miles) over the posted limit.......if I'm in a hurry, (which is rare these days), I look out for someone who's booting it, let them get ahead, (but not out of sight), and allow them to run interference for me.
I do that a lot too. Until I lose sight of them. Then I chicken out and drop back to 9 over.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:43 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I always enjoyed the story of the guy who always felt he was safe as long as he was in a group of other cars who were also speeding. When he got pulled over he asked the cop, "What about all those other cars around me going my speed or even faster? Why didn't you pull them over?"

The cop's response: "You ever go duck hunting?"

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #37

Quote:

The cop's response: "You ever go duck hunting?"
I try to stay quite a way back from that lead duck, and if he gets too far ahead I look for another duck.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:21 PM   #38

Am in less of a hurry than I used to be but still generally about 11 mph over the limit on highways when conditions permit. This is the threshold at which fines go up and demerit points get issued. The latter are bad for insurance rates (moving violations in general aren't good of course). Close to posted in city. As mentioned, I do recall old studies suggesting that the 'safest' speed was slightly more than the prevailing traffic speed. Of course this doesn't really work.

Most of my driving is in the east and we find that drivers in the US tend to be more respectful of speed limits generally. Recall back to the days of the oil embargo and 55 mph speed limits - great for mileage but long drives were painful!
Old 08-11-2016, 03:06 PM   #39

While speeding in the metroplex is very common, and I am talking 15-20+ over the limit, the thing that really gets to me, are all the tailgaters. I usually drive 5-10 over the limit and keep to the right, yet encounter so many drivers that seem to think its a NASCAR challenge to get as close as they can, like 2-3 ft off your bumper at 70 MPH. I do not know how many times, I wished I had a James Bond oil spray that I could lay down behind me or maybe a nice stink bomb.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:16 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Situational Awareness

My goal is to find a reasonably safe speed for whatever the situation is, including weather, road conditions, traffic, construction, speed and aggressiveness of other drivers, night vs day, lane width, etc. Usually this means driving about the average speed of everyone else or slightly less. If I'm on wide open highway, I'll set the cruise at 3-5 mph above the posted speed. Otherwise I just go with the flow and drive defensively. I'm retired and rarely in a hurry to get anywhere.

AA: 45% stock, 35% bonds, 15% real estate, 5% cash
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote