Driving Speeds

I'm sorry, but the party "creating a hazard" in this scenario is the speed racer moron who's not paying attention. It is definitely NOT the person following the speed limit.

Don't worry I don't think the dazed speeder is doing the right thing, but when everyone is driving about 10 mph over the speed limit anything going slower becomes a bottleneck creating a hazard.

That is why some highways have minimum speeds posted, to reduce rear-end collisions (which are the dazed drivers technical fault).

When we bought our RV a few years ago, we were told that towing our Honda CRV behind at speeds greater than 65 would void the warranty. We are always in the far right hand lane and almost everyone passes us. We've discovered that this is a far less stressful mode of travel. I'm sure we're making a few people fume, but it's the best we can do.

When I'm on an interstate, I set the cruise control to 8-9 mph over the speed limit and ride in the middle lane. I follow highway etiquette, moving over for a faster driver, etc. It's a very comfortable way to go, and seems to be pretty much the average speed. On smaller roads I drive whatever seems common and comfortable. On crazy roads like the DC Beltway I try to drive whatever the traffic speed is, mostly staying in one lane. I'm not afraid to drive fast. More afraid of driving too slow, as it creates traffic clogs and angry drivers. But when I'm hauling a trailer or a big load all I can do is hang in the right hand lane and try to stay out of the way.

Btw, never gotten a ticket while inside that 9 mph over range.

I doubt it. Cops seldom give tickets for less than 10-15 mph over. If you're barely at the speed limit, people will still be flying past you while within the ticket safe zone.
+1 I was going to write up my approach and then saw that Harley channeled me. Cruise control 8-9 over, never more than 10, never get a ticket. This seems to me to be the defacto speed limit for US highway driving and doesn't present much of a problem. The problem occurs when people try to apply ~10 mph over to all situations - like residential side streets and rush hour jams.

On interstates, generally +5 over the speed limit. On other roads, up to five over the speed limit but most roads in our area have enough hills and curves and small hamlets that it's hard to maintain any speed without going into an aggressive driving mode, which a seldom do now that I'm retired. Seldom pass on two lane roads if slower driver within 5 of speed limit.

When towing my camper, never over 65 for any significant period of time as that is the rating of the trailer tires, and I've had to deal with blowouts at highway speeds in the past twice.

Rarely drive more than a couple over on mainland Interstates, but find HI speed limits to be ridiculous. Fastest limit is 60 (on the H3) which is our least used "interstate." All others are 55 or less. 6 lane "roads" are 35 while 2 lanes are typically 35 then 45 then 35 (all within a 100 yards). No one drives the speed limit (except in the rare instance when I'm in a hurry - then they dawdle :facepalm:)

I have decided that on the mainland, the real issue is that most highways are over utilized. I drove to florida from the Chicago area one time and was never under the speed limit and never not being passed. All 4 or 6 lanes were literally full. For those who "hate" folks in the "passing lanes" - there was no actual passing lane. All the lanes were more or less bumper to bumper for 1000 miles. That's a much bigger problem than whether someone does the speed limit or 10 or even 15 over. Most of our main through fares are simply overloaded. Night time is better, but night driving is inherently more dangerous for many reasons. As always, YMMV.

I drove to florida from the Chicago area one time and was never under the speed limit and never not being passed. All 4 or 6 lanes were literally full. For those who "hate" folks in the "passing lanes" - there was no actual passing lane. All the lanes were more or less bumper to bumper for 1000 miles.

When was this? I've driven that stretch several times and never experienced bumper to bumper traffic except thru Chicago and Atlanta. Maybe briefly thru Nashville and Chattanooga if you go thru at peak rush hour. I've had no problem going the speed limit in the middle or right lane and letting the crazies go around me. It's actually a really nice drive if you avoid Chicago and Atlanta at their busy times.

Please allow me to submit into evidence my dashboard camera....

When was you camera last certified and calibrated, sir?

Can you prove the camera was, in fact, installed correctly and operating tamper-proof in your car at the time of the alleged events?

Please submit evidence the images were in no way altered since the recording took place.

-- Evil Judge

Your honor, at this time I'd like to submit Exhibit B: this is security cam video taken at the No Tell Motel, noting your honor entering room 102 with a young law clerk...

While speeding in the metroplex is very common, and I am talking 15-20+ over the limit, the thing that really gets to me, are all the tailgaters. I usually drive 5-10 over the limit and keep to the right, yet encounter so many drivers that seem to think its a NASCAR challenge to get as close as they can, like 2-3 ft off your bumper at 70 MPH. I do not know how many times, I wished I had a James Bond oil spray that I could lay down behind me or maybe a nice stink bomb.

Particularly on Bush Turnpike, I see cars that have to be running 90-100 mph, given that they're easily passing the rest of us running 80...

I rarely exceed the limit on city streets, or at most go with the prevailing flow. The minute or two I might save is not worth a $200 speeding ticket.

On long interstate drives, I push it to maybe 10mph faster, still depending on traffic conditions. If you're driving long distances, that extra speed could knock off an hour or two. Besides, if the semis are running 75-80, I sure as hell ain't driving 70...

My copilot always lets me know when I am exceeding her speed limit.

While speeding in the metroplex is very common, and I am talking 15-20+ over the limit, the thing that really gets to me, are all the tailgaters. I usually drive 5-10 over the limit and keep to the right, yet encounter so many drivers that seem to think its a NASCAR challenge to get as close as they can, like 2-3 ft off your bumper at 70 MPH. I do not know how many times, I wished I had a James Bond oil spray that I could lay down behind me or maybe a nice stink bomb.

Somewhere in a box in the attic I've got a book that will tell you how to make those things (amongst other cool and scary stuff). I can't remember if it's in The Anarchist's Cookbook or A Poor Man's James Bond. That's assuming they haven't disintegrated by now. If I find them I'll send them over to you.

I have found the "safe" zone to be within 5 mph over and remember reading Articles where troopers were interviewed confirming that 6 or more mph was worth going after. I find in most of the Midwest most freeway drivers stick to 3-10 mph over the limit. Probably less than 10% just have to go above 10 mph over the limit. It's those people that draw the attention of any troopers in wait.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

When I'm on an interstate, I set the cruise control to 8-9 mph over the speed limit and ride in the middle lane. I follow highway etiquette, moving over for a faster driver, etc. It's a very comfortable way to go, and seems to be pretty much the average speed. On smaller roads I drive whatever seems common and comfortable. On crazy roads like the DC Beltway I try to drive whatever the traffic speed is, mostly staying in one lane. I'm not afraid to drive fast. More afraid of driving too slow, as it creates traffic clogs and angry drivers. But when I'm hauling a trailer or a big load all I can do is hang in the right hand lane and try to stay out of the way.

Btw, never gotten a ticket while inside that 9 mph over range.

I doubt it. Cops seldom give tickets for less than 10-15 mph over. If you're barely at the speed limit, people will still be flying past you while within the ticket safe zone.

Not true. The majority of speeding tickets written are in the 10-15 mph over range. You are only safe in the single digits assuming others around you are doing the same or worse.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

It's never a good idea to be the fastest car on the road - you'll be the one getting the speeding ticket. Also, base your speed on what the locals are driving - match their speed. Usually you can drive 9 mph over the speed limit - but not always. Sections of the PA Turnpike, and Interstates in MD, CT and MA are heavily patrolled and you'll likely get a ticket driving 9 mph over the limit.

Back
Top Bottom