Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-11-2016, 02:18 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The only reason I speed is so I can get back to my "saved" beach chair after lunch.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
My goal is to find a reasonably safe speed for whatever the situation is, including weather, road conditions, traffic, construction, speed and aggressiveness of other drivers, night vs day, lane width, etc. Usually this means driving about the average speed of everyone else or slightly less. If I'm on wide open highway, I'll set the cruise at 3-5 mph above the posted speed. Otherwise I just go with the flow and drive defensively. I'm retired and rarely in a hurry to get anywhere.
I do the same. Those who drive at exactly the speed limit when everyone else is going a little faster are the ones who block traffic and create unsafe situations.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I just drove 900 miles to CDA and back. I normally to maybe 2mph over, if that
Old 08-11-2016, 04:12 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Several years ago a doctor was pulled over for driving on the highway at 60 where it was posted at 55. (Boston's notorious Rt 128)

He announced a few days later that he and several of his friends would drive the entire length of that three lane 55 mph zone (about 80 miles), side by side at exactly 55.

The police begged and pleaded with him not to do that as he'd back up traffic for miles.

I'm not sure what happened but I think we was convinced to not do it (via charges dropped?)

The reality today is that while still posted at 55, I just came off that road having done 75-80 and only keeping up with traffic.
Ah, now I know why Illinois passed a law in the past few years that we should drive in the right lane except to pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
While speeding in the metroplex is very common, and I am talking 15-20+ over the limit, the thing that really gets to me, are all the tailgaters. I usually drive 5-10 over the limit and keep to the right, yet encounter so many drivers that seem to think its a NASCAR challenge to get as close as they can, like 2-3 ft off your bumper at 70 MPH. I do not know how many times, I wished I had a James Bond oil spray that I could lay down behind me or maybe a nice stink bomb.
I have heard that cleaning your windshield while driving a high speed will "accidentally" spray the car behind you too.

We usually stay to the speed limit except on the Interstate, where we go maybe 5 miles over (the 70 mph limit is pretty comfortable)--on the local roads, having more frequent stoplights (vs the wide open roads some of you are enjoying) removes any time advantage that going a few miles over the speed limit gives us.

DH actually is the driver we all scream at who drives at an inconsistent speed when not using cruise control, letting up on the gas if he starts talking while driving. It's not pretty.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:17 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I don't drive fast, I'm retired. There is nowhere I need to get to in a hurry.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:20 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Here's what happens to the folks who get all upset about how other people drive. Some might say it's karma at it's best.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/m...orist-41294321
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:49 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Several years ago a doctor was pulled over for driving on the highway at 60 where it was posted at 55. (Boston's notorious Rt 128)

He announced a few days later that he and several of his friends would drive the entire length of that three lane 55 mph zone (about 80 miles), side by side at exactly 55.

The police begged and pleaded with him not to do that as he'd back up traffic for miles.

I'm not sure what happened but I think we was convinced to not do it (via charges dropped?)

The reality today is that while still posted at 55, I just came off that road having done 75-80 and only keeping up with traffic.
They sound like 3 world class jerks. Too bad they weren't given tickets...
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:49 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I don't drive fast, I'm retired. There is nowhere I need to get to in a hurry.
I'm not trying to get anywhere in a hurry, I just like to drive fast.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:05 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

I don't intentionally drive more than 5 mph over the speed limit. But I did space out and drove 40 in a 25 and 30 in a 20 school zone in my home town in past few years. Luckily the officer let me go both times. Like others, I'm in no hurry to get anywhere since I retired.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:22 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Depends on where I am and how familiar I am with the area. On highways, with "medium to heavy traffic" I try to go with the general flow, regardless of the speeds. However, there are a lot of secondary highways in my area with speed limits of 75mph and minimal to almost no traffic, especially on weekdays. Over the years, I've got to know where the cops tend to "hang out" on many of these roads.

I'll stop my comments on this topic at this point!
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:50 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncaD View Post
I'm sorry, but the party "creating a hazard" in this scenario is the speed racer moron who's not paying attention. It is definitely NOT the person following the speed limit.
Don't worry I don't think the dazed speeder is doing the right thing, but when everyone is driving about 10 mph over the speed limit anything going slower becomes a bottleneck creating a hazard.

That is why some highways have minimum speeds posted, to reduce rear-end collisions (which are the dazed drivers technical fault).
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:14 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

When we bought our RV a few years ago, we were told that towing our Honda CRV behind at speeds greater than 65 would void the warranty. We are always in the far right hand lane and almost everyone passes us. We've discovered that this is a far less stressful mode of travel. I'm sure we're making a few people fume, but it's the best we can do.
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:35 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
When I'm on an interstate, I set the cruise control to 8-9 mph over the speed limit and ride in the middle lane. I follow highway etiquette, moving over for a faster driver, etc. It's a very comfortable way to go, and seems to be pretty much the average speed. On smaller roads I drive whatever seems common and comfortable. On crazy roads like the DC Beltway I try to drive whatever the traffic speed is, mostly staying in one lane. I'm not afraid to drive fast. More afraid of driving too slow, as it creates traffic clogs and angry drivers. But when I'm hauling a trailer or a big load all I can do is hang in the right hand lane and try to stay out of the way.

Btw, never gotten a ticket while inside that 9 mph over range.

I doubt it. Cops seldom give tickets for less than 10-15 mph over. If you're barely at the speed limit, people will still be flying past you while within the ticket safe zone.
+1 I was going to write up my approach and then saw that Harley channeled me. Cruise control 8-9 over, never more than 10, never get a ticket. This seems to me to be the defacto speed limit for US highway driving and doesn't present much of a problem. The problem occurs when people try to apply ~10 mph over to all situations - like residential side streets and rush hour jams.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:07 AM   #54
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On interstates, generally +5 over the speed limit. On other roads, up to five over the speed limit but most roads in our area have enough hills and curves and small hamlets that it's hard to maintain any speed without going into an aggressive driving mode, which a seldom do now that I'm retired. Seldom pass on two lane roads if slower driver within 5 of speed limit.

When towing my camper, never over 65 for any significant period of time as that is the rating of the trailer tires, and I've had to deal with blowouts at highway speeds in the past twice.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Rarely drive more than a couple over on mainland Interstates, but find HI speed limits to be ridiculous. Fastest limit is 60 (on the H3) which is our least used "interstate." All others are 55 or less. 6 lane "roads" are 35 while 2 lanes are typically 35 then 45 then 35 (all within a 100 yards). No one drives the speed limit (except in the rare instance when I'm in a hurry - then they dawdle )

I have decided that on the mainland, the real issue is that most highways are over utilized. I drove to florida from the Chicago area one time and was never under the speed limit and never not being passed. All 4 or 6 lanes were literally full. For those who "hate" folks in the "passing lanes" - there was no actual passing lane. All the lanes were more or less bumper to bumper for 1000 miles. That's a much bigger problem than whether someone does the speed limit or 10 or even 15 over. Most of our main through fares are simply overloaded. Night time is better, but night driving is inherently more dangerous for many reasons. As always, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:49 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I drove to florida from the Chicago area one time and was never under the speed limit and never not being passed. All 4 or 6 lanes were literally full. For those who "hate" folks in the "passing lanes" - there was no actual passing lane. All the lanes were more or less bumper to bumper for 1000 miles.
When was this? I've driven that stretch several times and never experienced bumper to bumper traffic except thru Chicago and Atlanta. Maybe briefly thru Nashville and Chattanooga if you go thru at peak rush hour. I've had no problem going the speed limit in the middle or right lane and letting the crazies go around me. It's actually a really nice drive if you avoid Chicago and Atlanta at their busy times.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Please allow me to submit into evidence my dashboard camera....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
When was you camera last certified and calibrated, sir?

Can you prove the camera was, in fact, installed correctly and operating tamper-proof in your car at the time of the alleged events?

Please submit evidence the images were in no way altered since the recording took place.

-- Evil Judge

Your honor, at this time I'd like to submit Exhibit B: this is security cam video taken at the No Tell Motel, noting your honor entering room 102 with a young law clerk...

Quote:
While speeding in the metroplex is very common, and I am talking 15-20+ over the limit, the thing that really gets to me, are all the tailgaters. I usually drive 5-10 over the limit and keep to the right, yet encounter so many drivers that seem to think its a NASCAR challenge to get as close as they can, like 2-3 ft off your bumper at 70 MPH. I do not know how many times, I wished I had a James Bond oil spray that I could lay down behind me or maybe a nice stink bomb.

Particularly on Bush Turnpike, I see cars that have to be running 90-100 mph, given that they're easily passing the rest of us running 80...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:37 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I rarely exceed the limit on city streets, or at most go with the prevailing flow. The minute or two I might save is not worth a $200 speeding ticket.

On long interstate drives, I push it to maybe 10mph faster, still depending on traffic conditions. If you're driving long distances, that extra speed could knock off an hour or two. Besides, if the semis are running 75-80, I sure as hell ain't driving 70...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:03 PM   #59
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My copilot always lets me know when I am exceeding her speed limit.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:19 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Somewhere in a box in the attic I've got a book that will tell you how to make those things (amongst other cool and scary stuff). I can't remember if it's in The Anarchist's Cookbook or A Poor Man's James Bond. That's assuming they haven't disintegrated by now. If I find them I'll send them over to you.