Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-13-2016, 10:24 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have found the "safe" zone to be within 5 mph over and remember reading Articles where troopers were interviewed confirming that 6 or more mph was worth going after. I find in most of the Midwest most freeway drivers stick to 3-10 mph over the limit. Probably less than 10% just have to go above 10 mph over the limit. It's those people that draw the attention of any troopers in wait.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2016, 10:32 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
When I'm on an interstate, I set the cruise control to 8-9 mph over the speed limit and ride in the middle lane. I follow highway etiquette, moving over for a faster driver, etc. It's a very comfortable way to go, and seems to be pretty much the average speed. On smaller roads I drive whatever seems common and comfortable. On crazy roads like the DC Beltway I try to drive whatever the traffic speed is, mostly staying in one lane. I'm not afraid to drive fast. More afraid of driving too slow, as it creates traffic clogs and angry drivers. But when I'm hauling a trailer or a big load all I can do is hang in the right hand lane and try to stay out of the way.

Btw, never gotten a ticket while inside that 9 mph over range.

I doubt it. Cops seldom give tickets for less than 10-15 mph over. If you're barely at the speed limit, people will still be flying past you while within the ticket safe zone.

Not true. The majority of speeding tickets written are in the 10-15 mph over range. You are only safe in the single digits assuming others around you are doing the same or worse.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-13-2016, 11:34 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's never a good idea to be the fastest car on the road - you'll be the one getting the speeding ticket. Also, base your speed on what the locals are driving - match their speed. Usually you can drive 9 mph over the speed limit - but not always. Sections of the PA Turnpike, and Interstates in MD, CT and MA are heavily patrolled and you'll likely get a ticket driving 9 mph over the limit.
Al18 is offline   Reply With Quote