Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Drop Professional Certification?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:00 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Drop Professional Certification?

I am about 190 days from retiring. I was wondering about professional certifications. I am not an MD or lawyer that needs this to continue working, infact it was only required for the position I had before my promotion and the fellow who works for me now has. But I like the association and my certification. I thought of this as I just got me dues from my professional association and I asked myself; ‘would I go the National meeting?’—No, how about local chapter meetings?—No. Do I intend to get another job, consult or work part time in the profession?—No. I just like what I do and like my professional certification, it just seems like it is time to let it drop. Its only $100 a year to keep current and it is more of an identity thing.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2007, 10:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
it just seems like it is time to let it drop. Its only $100 a year to keep current and it is more of an identity thing.
I believe you have answered your own question. This seems to be related to the 'one more year' syndrome.... but harmless. Either way seems fine, ...ease into it ... keep paying the $100 until you figure out that the only time you think about the cert is when you pay the bill.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:14 AM   #3

Great response to the question.
I was a workaholic type who quit closed a business rather suddenly. I can honestly say it took me about two years to really "get" that I was no longer working. Ease into whatever you do. You've surely earned it.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:35 AM   #4

I renewed my professional certifications the month before ER. Megacorp paid. No harm in hedging your bets, but when it's my money, I doubt I'll do it.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:34 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Big question for yours truly. Took me many years of slavery to earn it, so I will want to be quite sure I won't need it again. Not an insignificant expense, either. I'm not there yet, so I will wait till much closer to projected RE date, which I may set so that I have several months to make that decision.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Not an insignificant expense for me either. I did get my law firm to agree to keep up my license for this year (in two states) and pay for continuing education. (Hey, I need to take a class sometime soon. . . )

At the end of the year, I think I can get them to pay for a few more years, at least to keep my Minnesota license. I don't know what I would do if I had to cover the cost. With CLE it gets pricey.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Just this morning I discovered my commission will expire exactly when I dream of leaving the job (4/09). No plan to extend it, that would be a job identity, I’m mentally composing the cover letter to turn in the books; the very thought of it might prevent the "one more year" cop out.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Pennsylvania allows CPA's to enter into an inactive status which eliminates the need for the 80 hours of continuing education every 2 years while at the same time permits one to keep their license. In order to reactivate, 80 hours of CPE must me completed in the two years prior to making application to reactivate.
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:47 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Before you drop it make sure you don't lose any potential benefit like being able to get a group health policy through it.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:44 PM   #10

Quote:

A slave is someone who waits for someone else to free them
I think you answered your own question.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:00 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

My DH continues to take professional development classes and maintain his licence in two states. He worked long and hard to earn them - even if his only clients are the kids that license has helped. Besides, it gives him an opportunity to confirm that senility hasn't set in.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:14 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Medical licensure in the states is on a state-by-state basis. The required training experience and documentation are truly crushing and the annual costs are substantial. Continuing education adds quite a bit. So it's not trivial.

I plan to keep one license active (one can work at the VA, military or other federal institutions with licensure from any state) and add others only if part-time work opportunities justify it (e.g. one set of kids live in California). But I'm way over keeping it for nostalgia purposes.

OTOH, for $100 and no fuss, I'd probably keep it active until it was clear that no possibility of return to work was in sight.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:47 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

I kept my professional certifications upon retirement because: 1) moving to inactive/retired status dropped the fees almost in half, and 2) the certifications remain somewhat a continued validation of my university degree. I will drop them when I no longer care to pay the annual invoices.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:39 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't w*rk one minute on my 2005 nursing license renewal. So for the recent 2007 renewal I changed my status to inactive @ no charge. I still had to ponder & think over whether I wanted to "take that step". It felt somewhat like closing that door forever...... a ~good~ feeling!

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote