Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-29-2014, 04:31 PM   #141
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Sounds great!

I am saving $110/month by dropping cable TV, and honestly I don't miss it one bit (especially all the ads). I am thinking of dropping my landline soon, too.
Get an Obi and setup Google Voice. You plug a regular phone into it and works great. Select your own phone number and you can make/receive free calls anywhere in the US/Canada plus dirt cheap international.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozer View Post
I just finished my annual call to Time Warner. This call is to lower my monthly payment back to the intro rate for internet service. They keep throwing in free starter cable tv on top of that when I ask them to cancel the TV part of the service. This is the second year they have done that. Five minutes of phone call equals $600/year savings. Having a local competitor makes this negotiation easy.
Now that I'm a snow bird, I sign up new with the appropriate cable company every 6 months, getting the new customer deal each time. It's working out great. All I have to do is return the equipment before heading to the other house, and make an appointment to get the new set up. This way I get the new equipment, a decent price, and a decent package each time. The companies keep telling me I can go dormant while out of town for just $10/month (per service), but what would be my incentive to do that? Pay extra to get less service for higher prices?

Old 10-29-2014, 09:33 PM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixs View Post
Get an Obi and setup Google Voice. You plug a regular phone into it and works great. Select your own phone number and you can make/receive free calls anywhere in the US/Canada plus dirt cheap international.
+1 for Obi + Google Voice.

The one-time cost for an Obi100 is around $35 on Amazon. After that, totally free calling in US and Canada, with most international calls at 1-2 cents per minute.

It's the best solution I've seen for people wanting to dump their landline service, but not yet ready to go pure cellular. In our case, we get sketchy cellular reception at the house and have several wired and wireless handsets that we wanted to continue using.
Cobra9777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:10 AM   #144
Full time employment: Posting here.

+2 for Obi and GV, if you really need a cheap VOIP solution. I've been using it for years after we got sick of telemarketers and pols calling, not to mention all the junk fees with a landline. Many just get by with cells.

As for the frontrowsports recommendation to get live sports, this is a big YMMV. These are often crappy and unreliable streams that you're bootlegging from somebody broadcasting them over the net. And if you like your sports in full HD with DD 5.1 sound like me, no way.

If you're a frugal (ok, cheap) guy like me that still wants all his sports, call your cableCo every year and select the option to downgrade or cancel service. This gets you to the retention reps with the best deals - on Comcast this always gets me a good double play deal (HSI/cable) for less than $100 a month. You have to have HSI anyway, right? My current deal gets me 50mb HSI + all channels + HBO for $90, and I expect to get something similar in a couple of months when that promo expires. Been doing this for years.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:25 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Other reason to to OTA.

Dish just dropped CBS for a lot of cities.

Quote:
After weeks of negotiations over rebroadcasting fees, CBS programming went dark on DISH networks in more than a dozen cities, including New York and Los Angeles.

CBS Corporation announced that as of 7 p.m. ET Friday, programming was no longer available to Dish subscribers in New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Sacramento, Dallas, Denver, Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh and several other markets.
CBS programming goes dark on DISH networks - CBS News
Old 12-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Here's an interesting twist to the Dish and CBS agreement. Apparently, the ability to automatically skip commercials has been degraded.

Dish Deal With CBS Effectively Makes Ad-Skipping DVR Pointless – Consumerist

Quote:
“As part of the accord, DISH’s AutoHop commercial-skipping functionality will not be available for CBS Television Network-owned stations and affiliates during the C7 window.”
Old 12-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Here's an interesting twist to the Dish and CBS agreement. Apparently, the ability to automatically skip commercials has been degraded.

Dish Deal With CBS Effectively Makes Ad-Skipping DVR Pointless – Consumerist
Wow. I'm assuming this deal to degrade only applies to Dish DVRs? All the more reason to go OTA if a big CBS fan.

I love watching CBS This Morning, but if I had to watch the commercial and local news I'd considering no longer watching. I always skip past the interruptions.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:19 AM   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Wow. I'm assuming this deal to degrade only applies to Dish DVRs? All the more reason to go OTA if a big CBS fan.

I love watching CBS This Morning, but if I had to watch the commercial and local news I'd considering no longer watching. I always skip past the interruptions.
Manually skipping the commercials, as Dish customers with DVRs predating the Hopper/Joey models do, still works just fine. A few taps on the +30 second button and I'm back to the program.

Only the automated commercial skip done on programs more than a day or two old is disabled for CBS. Manually skipping these still works just fine.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #149
gone traveling

Dropping Xfinity-Comcast cable TV and phone (keeping Internet) after the holidays when Costco isn't so crazy with shoppers. DirecTV is already offering the 2015 NFL Sunday Ticket and Costco has upped the free gift card to $300 through 1/15/15. I'll finally have TV back in my master BR, guest BR and exercise loft and this time they'll be wireless HD.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #150
Give me a forum ...

I'm interested in some Starz programming. That can be purchased through Apple iTunes or through Amazon Instant Video. You can buy an episode or a season. It's expensive, but way better than paying a monthly cable bill and having to DVR the shows of interest.

HBO series are available the same way.

Occasionally a series is available on Hulu or Netflix or Amazon for a period, but often not.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texconsin View Post
Dropping Xfinity-Comcast cable TV and phone (keeping Internet) after the holidays when Costco isn't so crazy with shoppers. DirecTV is already offering the 2015 NFL Sunday Ticket and Costco has upped the free gift card to $300 through 1/15/15. I'll finally have TV back in my master BR, guest BR and exercise loft and this time they'll be wireless HD.
Can you give a few more details on the $300 gift card? Is it a Costco gift card? Does one have to buy NFL Sunday to get it?

This could push a few people over the edge.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #152

Quote:
Wow. I'm assuming this deal to degrade only applies to Dish DVRs?
The commercial-skipping feature, in question, was only offered on Dish DVRs. No other commercial DVR offered such a feature.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #153

The OBI talk has me wondering it there is a way to keep our current home phone number and switch to OBI google voice solution. Our current phone service is part of cable company bundle.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
The commercial-skipping feature, in question, was only offered on Dish DVRs. No other commercial DVR offered such a feature.
Thanks. just read about the auto hop with Dish DVRs.

The DVR I have is one where you set how much to advance at each press ( say 30 seconds, 1 min, 5 min) but the Dish DVR skips them completely.

I do see why CBS and Dish reached the compromise then.
Costco DirecTV
Old 12-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #155
gone traveling

Costco DirecTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Can you give a few more details on the $300 gift card? Is it a Costco gift card? Does one have to buy NFL Sunday to get it?

This could push a few people over the edge.
It's a Costco gift card and the NFL package, as always, is free for one season with the "Choice" and above packages. Choice is a good deal, but I don't need to go higher. Also, Costco really slashes the pricing by giving Year 1 and Year 2 discounts. After the first year, I'll be shelling out $300-ish for NFL, but gotta have my Packers.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:13 AM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I'm interested in some Starz programming.
DW too. She's very interested in the Sam Heughan's butt programming.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
The OBI talk has me wondering it there is a way to keep our current home phone number and switch to OBI google voice solution. Our current phone service is part of cable company bundle.
You cannot directly port a landline phone number to Google Voice. You can port a mobile number, or you could do a two-step process, which is well-documented on the web. My advice would be to ditch the old landline number. We had one for 35 years, and the vast majority of incoming calls were some type of telemarketing, political poll, police union pension, charity fundraising, etc. That number was in so many telemarketing databases, we were happy to give it to somebody else and start over. We're very careful not to give the new GV number to anyone except family and friends, which has resulted in zero unsolicited incoming calls.
Cobra9777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:49 AM   #158
gone traveling

Quote:

I'm actually replying to your signature: "Have you ever seen a headstone with these words "If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus"

Not yet, but I probably will. My ex-boss (our COO) comes to work at 6 a.m. and leaves at 9 p.m., comes in all day Saturday and works from home on Sunday. He's 2 years my senior, but looks 10. One morning, we'll find him slumped in his chair and I hope it's not on an August Monday. Our building's A/C shuts off for the weekend at noon on Saturday!
Old 12-11-2014, 09:36 AM   #159
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post

Ha, Harley and Audrey, I was thinking it was all about that (b)ass!
Old 12-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
What am I missing?

Must investigate!

I'm interested in the Da Vinci's Demons series.