Dropped Cable Today

audreyh1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We really didn't watch it anyway.

Only using internet and off-air for content know. The only content subscription we have now is Hulu+ and love it.

Well - actually we have Amazon Prime too, but we had that before they added the video streaming benefit. Occasionally watch something.

10mbps internet speed.

Really enjoying the "Leverage" series on Hulu+ - great fun.

We are on a similar path. Our AT&T contract runs out this month and DH has finally agreed to let me drop cable when the contract ends. We have Netflix and Prime.

I will sign up for Hulu+ when I no longer have the cable bill. I bought a lap top to hook up to the big screen TV so we can watch shows from the Internet in the living room.

I am also checking into public libraries, local for free and some fee for out of state, that have downloadable videos and online classes.

This week I also set up the lap top for use with library services - Overdrive e-books, Overdrive audio books and Zino magazines. The volume of free material and media choices from the local libraries is all pretty amazing.

Us too!

We dropped cable a year and a half ago when I quit my high-stress FT job and took a part-time job (not retirement but boy, it sure feels like it sometimes!) We have Netflix and Amazon Prime and can't keep up with all of the movies and series we want to watch. Our cable bill went from 179.95 to 49.95 (just internet costs now). We really haven't missed it - although I did miss it a little during football season when I couldn't get Monday night football :(

I don't know why people get basic cable when they could just get an antenna and have perfectly clear HDTV for the basic channels. I don't even need a roof antenna, rabbit ears work fine. All the new TVs have built in tuners, all that is needed is an antenna.

I'd do it in a minute, but DW refuses. More and more are doing it, the cable bills are just outrageous. Ours is $160 a month for phone, cable, and internet.

We cut the cord as well about two months ago. We were long time DirecTV users and pretty happy with the service - except for the cost. When we looked at what we actually were watching we realized we could do it at a much lower cost. Installed TV antenna in attic for clear reception of local networks and bought a TiVo Roamio DVR. Added Netflix streaming. Cost went from $108 to $23 per month and we get essentially the same TV experience as before. I only have regret for not doing this sooner!

Have given this some thought but we watch 95% of our programs on the DVR ~ do they
have an inexpensive DVR to record OTA programming?…and while I chuckle at my MIL
every time I see her TV Guide, I'm guessing that could become much more important without any
type of guide for programming??

I don't know why people get basic cable when they could just get an antenna and have perfectly clear HDTV for the basic channels. I don't even need a roof antenna, rabbit ears work fine. All the new TVs have built in tuners, all that is needed is an antenna.
We have antennas, but we can only pick up a couple of off-air channels reliably. I think a lot of people have trouble with reception, even with antennas. We'll probably mount an antenna in the attic at some point. The two channels we do get are all we really care about, so it's not that urgent.

Besides - I much prefer to watch things on demand (on my schedule) rather than paying attention to any network broadcast schedule.

Have given this some thought but we watch 95% of our programs on the DVR ~ do they
have an inexpensive DVR to record OTA programming?…and while I chuckle at my MIL
every time I see her TV Guide, I'm guessing that could become much more important without any
I use Hulu+ instead of a DVR. Who needs a DVR if you can watch programs the day after broadcast?

That's one of the things I love about streaming.

Of course - not every show is available. But enough is available for us. I love not having to mess with doing our own recording. I'm glad we never got a DVR.

My DW had some concerns but found she really enjoys the ability to choose whatever she wants to watch whenever she wants to watch it. I don't think I could get her to go back to cable/sat if I tried.
This was by far the most immediate perceived benefit for me! I love that!

Overall the quality too is first rate provided you have the bandwidth.

I dropped cable years ago when I FIRE'd and haven't really missed it. I'm now a free tv junkie :)

I've owned 3 OTA DVR's (had a forth one but quickly returned that as the unit was much too cumbersome). The one I have now is a Magnavox which though doesn't have a TV schedule (I use TVguide.com to verify a program is on at a certain time) and isn't high def, is the most stable and I'm happy with.

Sometimes I go to Amazon and do a search on "OTA DVR" to see what new models come up.

Link to a previous discussion (on both DVR's and the need for good reception):

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/i-need-a-new-ota-dvr-again-69664.html

Last edited:
Our last year of employment we got off of cable and satellite and put up a small Phillips HDTV antenna in our apartment window. It picked up everything except the local ABC affiliate. I was amazed at the signal quality! I recorded shows on my Mac Mini and watched live sports. Everything else we watched through Hulu or Netflix.

And Netflix works in Mexico! We just finished the entire series of Breaking Bad and Weeds, and now we're on Season 3 of Dexter. I'm also indulging a guilty pleasure and slowly working my way through House of Cards. We never watched any of these shows when we were full-time worker bees back in the States.

$7.49 a month. Much cheaper than any satellite/cable package.

Congrats, I'm jealous. I was ready a while back, but haven't been able to sell DW (yet)...

We cut the cable in the 80's. DW has wanted it for years now, for just a few shows (Food network mainly). I'll just have to explain to her that I was ahead of the curve, and look at all these people just now catching up with us! ;)

I use Hulu+ instead of a DVR. Who needs a DVR if you can watch programs the day after broadcast?

That's one of the things I love about streaming.

Of course - not every show is available. But enough is available for us. I love not having to mess with doing our own recording. I'm glad we never got a DVR.

Whenever I bring up the idea of some sort of OTA DVR capability to DW, she says she can watch most of the shows she wants from the provider's web site on her computer. I guess it has all the commercials, so they are happy to have you watch, the medium is not important to them?

I'd still like a DVR, for the occasional TV I do watch (especially the local news), and would love to have live pause, instant replay for ALL the TV's - I HATE it when I miss a few seconds of something because I didn't hear it or got distracted by something. I like the 'simple.tv' concept (we already have the RoKu boxes), but last time I checked they still seemed to be in late alpha stage. And like 'simple.tv', I want it to record to a hard drive, as our internet isn't the fastest. Two streams tends to bog it down.

-ERD50

We have a few of the indoor antennas that Costco carries. Reception varies based on the room we are in. I've been wondering about installing a larger outdoor antenna, possibly in the attic, and connecting it to all of the TVs simultaneously throughout the house.

Has anyone had success doing this?

Interesting, how did it affect your internet bill?

I have Cablevision in NY, other option is FiOS and I currently pay $68 for 15/5mbps internet and very basic cable (OTA channels only, mostly). I called and told them that I do not want TV and I was informed, my internet bill will be $70/month. I was like, she did not hear me correctly, I repeated and same thing.

FiOS comes out same after taxes AND want a 2-year contract, where they jack it up by $10 next month.

It is extra-ordinarily frustrating these buggers milking me out. I can't wait to have Google Fiber.

We have a few of the indoor antennas that Costco carries. Reception varies based on the room we are in. I've been wondering about installing a larger outdoor antenna, possibly in the attic, and connecting it to all of the TVs simultaneously throughout the house.

Has anyone had success doing this?
Yes.

We live on a hill with line of sight to the TV "antenna farm" 42 miles away. Installed an outdoor antenna in the attic and connected to all our TVs using RG-6 cable (pre-wired when we built the house). With the rare exception of unusual weather conditions, the antenna provides outstanding reception.

I'm in the NY metro area...since the transition to digital we get 40+ OTA channels... If you have a PC connected to the TV... recommend HD homerun....Never had cable tv.... compounded ...probably saved tens of thousands over the years :)

I've thought a lot about ditching cable, but, so far, I still have it. I too like watching television on my schedule, so I like having my DVR. I did buy a small over the air antenna to try but found I'm located in a hollow or something. I can get all of the networks that I watch from the stations 60 miles away, but can't get the one I want, for local news and weather, located here in my town. grrrr I tried Hulu once and didn't like it because of the ads, but for the $$, I might be willing to try it again if I ever decide to get rid of cable.

I was looking at Comcast site and it said it had a promotion going for Digital Preferred (like 160 channels - including TLC, CNBC, and a bunch of other channels I don't currently have) for $39.99 (2 year commitment). I currently have Digital Economy for $35. I called them and they said since I am an existing customer, I cannot use this promotion (You have to be off their TV package for 120 days to qualify), it will cost me $89.(What:confused:) I feel totally taken advantage of.

I just ordered a cheap leaf antenna ($19 - AmazonBasics Ultra Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna) on amazon. I have 2 cable boxes right now, so I will replace one and see how it works.

I tried to cancel my cable (TWC) but keep internet service late last year. After a little haggling they gave me internet service at the introductory rate from a competitor. Then, they gave me basic cable for free. Free was the highest price I would be willing to pay for something like that. As you said an HD antenna picks up all the same stations and is actually higher quality than basic non HD cable. By doing this they are able to claim I am still a cable TV subscriber. However, my primary TIVO box uses an HD antenna to record the programming that I most frequently watch.

Last edited:

Well, I'll tell you why. The new digital signals are great! I get good reception with rabbit ears on all but one local channel at my place and the HD picture is fantastic. But...... A friend who lives about a mile away is up against a hill. He has an outdoor antenna mounted on his roof which worked OK in the days of analog TV signals. Today, the digital signal is not so good. So, his TV usually just shows a "no signal" message for most stations.

Back
Top Bottom