Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 06:35 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Also very difficult to get into.

Ha
I was just referring to cost if your child wants a highly ranked school for a career in big law or a Nobel prize type path or whatever. Are higher cost private top tier schools any easier to get into? Berkeley and UCLA do not have guaranteed transfer agreements from the community colleges here, but I think most of the Cal State and UCs do have transfer agreements, and 20% of Berkeley's undergrads are community college transfers.

A young man who worked part-time at our car repair place went to the local junior college then transferred to and graduated from Berkeley. I think he might have lived at home the whole time and he obviously worked part-time, so I doubt his parents were out too much money for his education.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

DW won't work
Old 12-05-2015, 06:44 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

DW won't work

This thread reminds me of the bird hunters lament "that dog don't hunt".
Old 12-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This thread follows a pattern of new members registering and describing a controversial situation as their first (and sometimes only) post. OP hasn't been back on the forum since posting last night. Too soon to tell, but quite possibly a troll.
Yeah - I'm very uncomfortable providing advice to someone I don't "know" on a forum - i.e. haven't seen many posts before.

People here are very generous with their advice and out a lot of time into their answers.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

My parents used to argue about this kind of situation as far back as I can remember. It was never a huge blow up issue, just a constant source of tension. My mom never did go to work and my dad is retired now.

To be blunt about it my mom was lazy. I remember how she used to hate doing domestic chores, like cooking meals. She wanted to spend her time on her hobbies and did so. My dad was also pretty aloof, spending most of his time working on his hobbies when he was home.

There was never much emotion or togetherness growing up. Pretty much a house of loners off doing their own thing.

I'm very much like my parents. I'm a loner that likes to spend time on my own hobbies and I have as much if not more laziness as my mom. I've purposely avoided getting married. I'm pretty sure if I had gotten married I'd be divorced.

As far as working goes its usually a tedious annoyance or worse. I'd like to be done with it as soon as possible. I surely would not be happy supporting someone in permanent retirement while I still had to put up with the BS.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:57 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
More likely his DW knocked him upside the head with a rolling pin and he's still unconscious.

+1

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 12-05-2015, 10:22 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the posts elucidating the difficulties youngsters nowadays face in getting college admission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
As the OP has abandoned his thread, this has become no man's land. Everything goes, right?

Next up, some recipes, plus some Polish folk music.
As I promised (threatened?), here's some Polish music while we wait for the return of the OP. I was looking for my favorite recipe for Italian meatballs, but I seem to have misplaced it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-05-2015, 10:56 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Here's a fishy recipe:

Old 12-09-2015, 10:38 AM   #68

OP sorry to hear about your situation. It shouldnt come as a shock though. 19 years is a long time to mold into a certain role. Hard to break that.

I dont have much wisdom to share other than the fact that you may just want to let it go. Unless shes on spending sprees and draining your accounts...it is what it is.

Also...can we please drop the SAHM term after a child is in school for a full day? At this point you're a housewife.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
What does this mean? A SAHM supplements an equivalent $113,000 salary?
What it means is that if you added up the cost of hiring people to do all the jobs that a SAHM does, it would cost you $113K a year.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:46 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
What it means is that if you added up the cost of hiring people to do all the jobs that a SAHM does, it would cost you $113K a year.

Except most people do it themselves and work....Hard to justify paying people $113k just so they can go to work and earn 50k...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
lol...yeah I found the article(s). Moving on before I say something ill regret.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:19 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

My take is that if a spouse can't/won't add to the family cash pile time to work on the spending end. Tell the kids that a review of your family resources means ... they may need to work to pay for sports fees, expect to have college loans. No more expensive vacations. Maybe even sit down with the wife and review your financial situation, including retirement looking forward.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Basically you can't control people, and you can't make a spouse do what you want them to do. All you can do is let her know what you are thinking. If that doesn't change her mind, then you only have the choice of staying with her or leaving her. You can't make her do what you want her to do. Fact of life.
+1
Old 12-09-2015, 11:32 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
My take is that if a spouse can't/won't add to the family cash pile time to work on the spending end. Tell the kids that a review of your family resources means ... they may need to work to pay for sports fees, expect to have college loans. No more expensive vacations. Maybe even sit down with the wife and review your financial situation, including retirement looking forward.
+1
Time to sit down together and do a family budget. That will identify the options. Choices have consequences.

The word "family" is in bold for a reason.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:34 AM   #75
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Unless OP divorces DW or cuts of her financially, there's nothing he can do about it.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:35 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Once you are married, and especially after you have children, you degrees of freedom are heavily restricted.

If this concerns you, a good time to think it over is before you say "I do". And 2nd best time is before you take off that condom.

Ha
Old 12-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm really confused about this thread. People are referring to "junglejoe" as the OP, and saying he's a newbie poster. But I see the OP as papadad111 who has numerous posts under his belt. Did something glitch up and cause this to be assigned to papadad111 or something?
Old 12-09-2015, 11:52 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudd View Post
I'm really confused about this thread. People are referring to "junglejoe" as the OP, and saying he's a newbie poster. But I see the OP as papadad111 who has numerous posts under his belt. Did something glitch up and cause this to be assigned to papadad111 or something?
I was wondering the same thing. What happened?
Old 12-09-2015, 12:18 PM   #79
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I'll 3rd that, what happened? #1 post is now by papadad111 and not junglejoe.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:13 PM   #80
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Did something glitch up and cause this to be assigned to papadad111 or something?
I'll bet it wasn't a glitch, but an existing member caught opening a second account (a no-no according to the rules) to try to hide their identity.

Oops...

But I will admit to being wrong on more than one occasion.