Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-26-2009, 06:08 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
If you want Mayberry? All you have to do is travel a few miles south of Huntsville and you got it. I'm more familiar toward the south of Huntsville but you could probably head any direction and find the kind of small towns you are looking for.
The summers are definitely Hot and humid in Alabama. The AC's work over time from spring until fall.
Steve
Nothing wrong with those towns, and I suspect the heat and humidity wouldn't both me much after years of living in New Orleans. We thought about these towns but I would rather be in a larger town (closer to the size of Huntsville) that is also somewhat Mayberry-esque and laid back, and has less of the "zoom zoom Rocket City" atmosphere of Huntsville.

I think intangibles like atmosphere can be really crucial when looking for a retirement location. I can't stress too much how important I think it is to repeatedly visit a potential ER location and become familiar with it.

For example, how laid back a town is does not constitute much of a difference between towns, but for this or whatever reasons we just didn't feel quite as comfortable in Huntsville (#2 on our list) as in Springfield, Missouri (#1 for us!). Springfield has just the right amount of Mayberry-like characteristics, plus we like the town layout a lot better than that of Huntsville, and it just feels like home to us. So, we have made our decision and plan to move to Missouri, probably sometime in 2010-2011. But thanks!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2009, 06:08 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
But the fact that I grew up surrounded by 10,000 foot mountains might alter my perception...
Kind of reminded me of traveling out West. Someone said: look there over by that tree. I said: What tree? That's not a tree, that's a bush.
I'm posting very early in the morning folks. Sure hope the "Old RasPutin Stout" (new beverage for me) has worn off. If not I'll be using that excuse for my hill billy ignorance, poor penmanship/grammar & spelling for a while, thank you very much.
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:26 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You are absolutely correct. I got my mountains mixed up it seems. My bad, sorry about that.
Maybe I should stop trying to post after medicating with the new "High Gravity Beer's" that Alabama just recently made legal .
Just now getting around to trying them. They obviously do what they are designed to do? Guess I'm getting my money's worth .
Steve
My med's do the same. I'll have to get a prescription to your brand.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:31 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
My med's do the same. I'll have to get a prescription to your brand.

Must be pretty good stuff.
I lost a whole mountain.
I don't think I've ever done that before. At least I don't remember doing it. That means it never happened, right?
Old 08-26-2009, 07:32 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Ah, Goonie, but your present location has always sounded so peaceful and nice! Nice people, essentially crime free, and inexpensive, as I recall. But then Chattanooga has its own appeal as well.

We plan to relocate to southern Missouri. But I think Chaos Abounds wanted to be nearer to Pennsylvania. Often I wonder about western Virginia, which is a beautiful area and as I recall there are lovely wooded hills and mountains in Virginia near the border of West Virginia. It has been many years but looking at a map, the area I am thinking of must be between Roanoke or Blacksburg and the state line.
I've thought of Virginia. I lived there for a short while about 25 years ago. I loved the weather and it was really pretty but I was in an extremely small town. I'll have to go back and check out western VA. I have 2 sisters that are now living in WV. Haven't had a chance to visit them yet. When I ER DH and I plan on making a trip out there to visit and check out the area.

Lots of good input, thanks everyone.
Chaos Abounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:17 AM   #26

DW and I were talking about possibly moving this morning. There may be some changes in the job I have now that would be a good incentive to resign. They're making noises about rotating shift work and if that happens I'm gone. I had a hard time doing that when I was 40 and at nearly 60 I'm not doing it again. The only thing holding us to this area is the proximity of DW's family, which is important to her.

The areas discussed on this thread were my original target zone. One of the Carolinas, eastern Tennessee, possibly the Ozark lakes area of Missouri all sound terrific. But being that far from family makes seeing them difficult, and right now no one is more than four hours away.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:49 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Nothing wrong with those towns, and I suspect the heat and humidity wouldn't both me much after years of living in New Orleans. We thought about these towns but I would rather be in a larger town (closer to the size of Huntsville) that is also somewhat Mayberry-esque and laid back, and has less of the "zoom zoom Rocket City" atmosphere of Huntsville.

I think intangibles like atmosphere can be really crucial when looking for a retirement location. I can't stress too much how important I think it is to repeatedly visit a potential ER location and become familiar with it.

For example, how laid back a town is does not constitute much of a difference between towns, but for this or whatever reasons we just didn't feel quite as comfortable in Huntsville (#2 on our list) as in Springfield, Missouri (#1 for us!). Springfield has just the right amount of Mayberry-like characteristics, plus we like the town layout a lot better than that of Huntsville, and it just feels like home to us. So, we have made our decision and plan to move to Missouri, probably sometime in 2010-2011. But thanks!
Huntsville is indeed a surprising mix of slow-paced Southern town and hectic city. That's in fact what attracted us to the area. But it sounds like you found your own slice of paradise in Missouri, that's great!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:00 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Kind of reminded me of traveling out West. Someone said: look there over by that tree. I said: What tree? That's not a tree, that's a bush.
I'm posting very early in the morning folks. Sure hope the "RasPutin" (new beverage for me) has worn off. If not I'll be using that excuse for my hill billy ignorance, poor penmanship/grammar & spelling for a while, thank you very much.
Steve
I got to get me one of those high gravity beers! Do you get them in grocery stores?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I got to get me one of those high gravity beers! Do you get them in grocery stores?
The only place I have found them so far is in package type stores. I think it takes a different license to sale it, than most grocery stores have. I've been told they (Grocery) are looking into it though. The beer is more expensive than regular. Some packages you only get 4 bottles for about $9 or $10 bucks. I'm told some brands are way more than that too. The high octane/gravity beer is new to our area. The legislators just passed a new law allowing them, if by chance your not one to keep up with that kind of junk. Alabama is 20 or so years behind everybody else (which is a good thing in most cases) as you well know. So higher alcohol content beer will not be news to most on the forum but it is to me. For example "Old RasPutin" is about 9%, some brands go on up in content from there. I'm just learning what's out there but so are the stores selling it. I'm supposed to be getting a variety pack with all different kinds to try out soon. Oh, a few places in B'ham. are starting to have it "On Tap".
Disclosure: I have zero stock in this adventure, but maybe I should buy some.
Steve
Old 08-26-2009, 10:18 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The only place I have found them so far is in package type stores. I think it takes a different license to sale it, than most grocery stores have. I've been told they (Grocery) are looking into it though. The beer is more expensive than regular. Some packages you only get 4 bottles for about $9 or $10 bucks. I'm told some brands are way more than that too. The high octane/gravity beer is new to our area. The legislators just passed a new law allowing them, if by chance your not one to keep up with that kind of junk. Alabama is 20 or so years behind everybody else (which is a good thing in most cases) as you well know. So higher alcohol content beer will not be news to most on the forum but it is to me. For example "Old RasPutin" is about 9%, some brands go on up in content from there. I'm just learning what's out there but so are the stores selling it. I'm supposed to be getting a variety pack with all different kinds to try out soon. Oh, a few places in B'ham. are starting to have it "On Tap".
Disclosure: I have zero stock in this adventure, but maybe I should buy some.
Steve
I had heard something on the news a few weeks ago about allowing beers with high alcohol contents to be sold in AL but I was not sure whether the law had been enacted or not. Hum, I wonder how many of those beers it takes to trigger a DUI? Probably best to consume at home...
Old 08-26-2009, 12:11 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Ah, Goonie, but your present location has always sounded so peaceful and nice! Nice people, essentially crime free, and inexpensive, as I recall. But then Chattanooga has its own appeal as well.
Yeah, I pretty much like it right here where I am, and don't plan to leave anytime soon...or at all for that matter! Besides, I don't really think that I could part with the old homestead anyway...been here pretty much forever, and plan to stay here 'til they shovel dirt in my face, and use me to fertilize the daisies! !
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:05 PM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

Eastern Tennesee is hard to beat. I live in Western Virginia near the Blue Ridge Mountains. Really beautiful, lots of hiking, reasonable housing. Our 15 year old 2000 sq ft house costs us $100/month (insurance and taxes). In New York State, real estate taxes are 6 times higher (mother and mother-in-law live there).
walleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:31 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well - after Portland, Seattle, Denver, Huntsville, New Orleans - greater Kansas City(4 yrs and counting) kinda grows on one - Missouri side, on a hill above the high water mark.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #34

Uncle Mick,
The best I can tell, you and your retirement funds have been treading water for years.
I know a little water doesn't freak you out
Steve