Join Early Retirement Today

Easy Access to Lumosity for 80-year-old Mom (and 35% Lumosity Family Plan Discount!)
Old 12-16-2015, 03:34 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Easy Access to Lumosity for 80-year-old Mom (and 35% Lumosity Family Plan Discount!)

My Mom is 80, and her memory is fading fast. I am gradually maneuvering her to the position where she will go see a doctor to test for Alzheimer's. Her older sister was just diagnosed with advanced Alzheimer's. My Mom appears to be following in her big sister's footsteps; she will ask the same question literally 8 times in an hour.

While I have low expectations for Lumosity (at least for my Mom), I have used a family gift subscription as a way to broach the topic of her memory, and her need to see a doctor. (She is stubborn, proud, feisty -- and confused.)

Two things:

(1) Does anyone know a very simple device to get a confused 80-year-old Mom on the internet? A Chromebook? Anything even simpler?

(2) While I'm at it, if you want 35% off a Lumosity Family Plan, try the promo code GIMBLE35 -- saved me enough to buy a case of decent brew. (Which I need after hearing my Mom ask the same question for the 8th time....)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2015, 03:41 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I hope she is in some kind of assisted living arrangement.

I would suggest having the assisted living caretakers run the access for her.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:25 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

My Dad is still alive to help her (and cover for her lapses in memory). But he has just been hospitalized for pneumonia, with an arhythmic heartbeat. I am dealing with that, and he will be back home in about 10 days (after rehab in a PT facility). While assisted living is looming large, I have to get her in a doctor's office, which is going to happen right after the holiday. But till then, I'm getting her Lumosity to further underscore the issue of memory (or lack thereof). It's the entree to further conversation and treatment. So, I'm looking to get her reasonably easy access to the Lumosity website. Any suggestions (as to web access - Chromebook, etc.) are appreciated.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I read about the "grandpad" tablet earlier this year. Sounds like it is designed for folks like your mom.

Although I do not have any personal knowledge/experience, here is a review: GrandPad Senior Tablet review

E.T.A.: Even better, here is the company's Youtube channel with interviews of users, etc.: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuF...tTneM_ikABq08Q
Old 12-16-2015, 05:36 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

iPads are also quite easy to use.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:16 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have a similar situation. Not sure what luminosity is, but the outlook is not generally good with Alzheimers. While shorter term memory is deteriorating, new learning will not take so well. What might work better is a device that might help you track her, watch her, etc.

You do need to get an evaluation asap.

Wishing you and mom all the best.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:28 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Money View Post
Does anyone know a very simple device to get a confused 80-year-old Mom on the internet? A Chromebook? Anything even simpler?
MIL has dementia and the IPAD worked pretty well for her for a while. After a while, it confused her, though, and she has not been on for some time.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:53 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

There is no real scientific proof that Lumosity helps with memory especially if the person is already showing signs of dementia. And another hallmark of dementia is denial, so the person does not usually accept their memory is fading despite all objective signs.

Sometimes the neuroprotective medications like Aricept or Exelon can help consolidate memory in people with early-stage dementia. Also don't overlook proper nutrition, lots of antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables and have her get blood tests for B12 and Vitamin D. Both deficiencies can cause or worsen memory issues.

(Retired yesterday as a geriatric psychiatrist)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-17-2015, 08:19 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Do you have a Durable POA? Based on similar road last year with MIL, the Durable POA is best before doctors. Otherwise, she may not be deemed capable to sign Durable POA. We narrowly missed this problem.