Join Early Retirement Today

Easy Cruise?
Old 01-27-2007, 05:17 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Easy Cruise?

Has anyone tried this cruise line out?
www.easycruise.com

I read about them in Cruise Vacations for Dummies.

They are a no-frills cruise line. You pay only for your cabin - which is tiny - and there are no big shows, etc. etc. They have a few restaurants and a bar with a DJ for entertainment. You pay for your meals on board or eat most of your meals in port. They hop from island to island. Typically they cruise only in the morning, arriving in a new destination each day around noon. You can stay on the island from around lunchtime until whenever - they don't embark unti the next morning.

It caught my attention - not only because it is so much cheaper (I think around $40 - $45 per night per person) - but just because it is so different. So I'd really like to hear if anyone has cruised with them and what their experience was like.

Thanks!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Easy Cruise?
Old 01-27-2007, 06:06 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I havent taken a cruise in years, but at first glance my thoughts are:

- Very small ships. I never, ever get motion sick in cars, boats, planes or roller coasters, but when I took a cruise on a smaller ship (and it was bigger than these) I was ill the entire time

- Lots of destinations and motivation to spend time off the boat, as theres nothing on the boat to do. Be a nice way to find 2-3 places to fly to on a later vacation.

- Could get pretty boring after a few days unless you like sitting on a deck chair relaxing, which would work for me.

- That greek island cruise looks killer. Best time I ever had was island hopping around the greek islands, and it looks like they're hitting all the good ones. I went for a week and stayed for two.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I havent taken a cruise in years, but at first glance my thoughts are:

- Very small ships. I never, ever get motion sick in cars, boats, planes or roller coasters, but when I took a cruise on a smaller ship (and it was bigger than these) I was ill the entire time

- Lots of destinations and motivation to spend time off the boat, as theres nothing on the boat to do. Be a nice way to find 2-3 places to fly to on a later vacation.

- Could get pretty boring after a few days unless you like sitting on a deck chair relaxing, which would work for me.

- That greek island cruise looks killer. Best time I ever had was island hopping around the greek islands, and it looks like they're hitting all the good ones. I went for a week and stayed for two.
Yeah, I was concerned about the small boat size, too, re: seasickness. I wonder how choppy the water is near the greek islands? That cruise in particular caught my eye, too.

Still plan to try a big cruise with all the hoopla first, but this could be an option to explore later on.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:25 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl
I wonder how choppy the water is near the greek islands?
Depends, but you're going to have at least a couple of nights of rolling seas unless you're really, really lucky. Thats what killed me on the Caribbean cruise I took and that ship was more than twice the size of these. On the greek tour we used some smaller boats like these but the travel time was just a few hours between islands. And we slept ashore.

I was just flipping through my Costco monthly magazine and was really surprised at some of the cheap cruises they offer, but nothing was 'no frills'. Quite the opposite. Cheap for what was offered though.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:34 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl
Yeah, I was concerned about the small boat size, too, re: seasickness. I wonder how choppy the water is near the greek islands?
Depending on the time of the year and actual islands. It will be less choppy in protected bays (Saronic gulf places like Aegina, Hydra or Poros) and downright nasty in Cyclades when "meltemi" blows (strong summer NE wind)
Frequently, when meltemi blows the ferries and cruise ships will not run or will have altered schedules.
My rule of thumb for Greek islands (I typically charter sailboats on my own there, so I can choose a schedule to some extend) is to stay put if the hydrofoil ferries don't go out.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:01 PM   #6

I've never taken a cruise on easycruise, but it looks promising if you want to check out a different city each day (on the French/Italian Riviera cruise).

Re: costs - if you shop around and are flexible on dates, you can find a full service cruise in the caribbean or elsewhere for about the same price per person per day. I've seen plenty for $50-60 per day, including taxes.