Join Early Retirement Today

Eating like a geezer
Old 05-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Eating like a geezer

My wife and I have been retired about 6 years now. Many of our friends and relatives now eat their main meals at midday and don't eat much of anything after 5PM. We still eat a robust meal anywhere between 6:30 and 7:30 PM, put on the music and enjoy home cooking together. I like cooking with wine (sometimes I even put it in the food). We still go out to eat often. They don't even like going out at night. Are we going to die? Should we be eating like geezers now?
cashflo2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great thing about this. There is no right way. You are retired and can do whatever the heck you want

My in laws are in their mid 80s. Both in good health. They get up really early around 4 to 6. Eat lunch earlier than most and eat dinner earlier than most. Get to bed early. They must have been doing something right in retirement.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

We tend to eat less per meal and are starting to split meals because of the huge portion sizes in most resaurants. I have GERD so I don't like to eat a large meal after 7 PM unless I am not going to bed until pretty late. DW eats very little so a full meal for her will be lunch the next day or maybe two.

Some older folks like to catch the Senior discounts at some places so tend to eat 5-6PM to get it. Others just don't want to deal with the screaming kids and cell phone chatter of the younger crowds so eat early to avoid them.

I think a lot of the eating early phase of retirement is more related to age than anything else. Older folks tend to go to bed earlier so eating earlier makes sense. I guess they just run out of things to do other than eat and watch TV before they go to bed at 9 PM. My FIL gets up at 6 AM and has a very very regimented time schedule for eating and other activities....heaven help you if you upset his schedule. Dinner IS 5:30PM...everyday. Be prepared of pay the price of his wrath.

I hope I don't get that way when I am 80+.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
We tend to eat less per meal and are starting to split meals because of the huge portion sizes in most resaurants. I have GERD so I don't like to eat a large meal after 7 PM unless I am not going to bed until pretty late. DW eats very little so a full meal for her will be lunch the next day or maybe two.

Some older folks like to catch the Senior discounts at some places so tend to eat 5-6PM to get it. Others just don't want to deal with the screaming kids and cell phone chatter of the younger crowds so eat early to avoid them.

I think a lot of the eating early phase of retirement is more related to age than anything else. Older folks tend to go to bed earlier so eating earlier makes sense. I guess they just run out of things to do other than eat and watch TV before they go to bed at 9 PM. My FIL gets up at 6 AM and has a very very regimented time schedule for eating and other activities....heaven help you if you upset his schedule. Dinner IS 5:30PM...everyday. Be prepared of pay the price of his wrath.

I hope I don't get that way when I am 80+.
Steve, I think you may - IMO kind of goes with age, I think. I have to really work at not getting upset when stuff does not happen as I think it should have. Takes a concerted effort to just "go with the flow" and not let things get under my skin. I think it started at about age 60 (now almost 68). Fortunately, it helps to have a DW that just puts up with me. I wish you good luck.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:41 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Wood View Post
Steve, I think you may - IMO kind of goes with age, I think. I have to really work at not getting upset when stuff does not happen as I think it should have. Takes a concerted effort to just "go with the flow" and not let things get under my skin. I think it started at about age 60 (now almost 68). Fortunately, it helps to have a DW that just puts up with me. I wish you good luck.
And I thought it was just because I don't like to be around people.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post
Are we going to die?
I'm afraid so, better chow down while you can.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The key to eating like a geezer is to open you mouth and stick your tongue out as you start to move the spoon from the plate or bowl.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Al, sounds like you've been practicing...
Old 05-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

The key to eating like a geezer is to show up for happy hour promptly at 4 so you can throw a few martinis down while the little woman has pink chablis before you get the all you can eat fish & chips from the early bird menu for $6.99.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #10

Thats it. Im going to stop aging right now.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:47 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post

Why you don't like two for one martinis ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Why you don't like two for one martinis ?

No thats good. The whole tongue thing Al did...
Old 05-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
The key to eating like a geezer is to show up for happy hour promptly at 4 so you can throw a few martinis down while the little woman has pink chablis before you get the all you can eat fish & chips from the early bird menu for $6.99.
Hey, you make it sound nice. Maybe the geezer route ain't so bad afterall.
cashflo2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I've been trying to do that too. I think that in most cases it's fatal.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post
My wife and I have been retired about 6 years now. Many of our friends and relatives now eat their main meals at midday and don't eat much of anything after 5PM. We still eat a robust meal anywhere between 6:30 and 7:30 PM, put on the music and enjoy home cooking together. I like cooking with wine (sometimes I even put it in the food). We still go out to eat often. They don't even like going out at night. Are we going to die? Should we be eating like geezers now?
We eat a light dinner because we have taekwondo workouts three nights a week. Not much fun getting kicked in the head while you're burping up pepperoni pizza.

As for that "going out at night" thing, my FIL had a lot of problems with glare and loss of night vision. I started driving them to evening events when they were still in their 60s. I think it's the next aging betrayal after presbyopia and getting up six times a night...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:41 PM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Now that Spring has arrived and the farmers' market is open, I am working on reconfigurating what and when I eat.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:57 AM   #17

Take a trip to the local Nursing Home. You'll see what eating like a geezer looks like. At 5 pm, the food trolley rolls around to my mother's room. By 7pm, she's ready for bed. The highlights of every day involve eating.

We still eat the evening meal sometime between 6-7 pm. Two glasses of wine are a necessity. Restaurant meals are almost always too large, so the takeout becomes lunch the next day. I usually have that before my nap. Life is good.

Being able to drive at night makes you an attractive male geezer to the female geezerettes. As long as you can drive at night, you've got sex appeal. I guess I need to buy some of those night vision goggles.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:00 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

In one small step toward geezeritis, we've started eating lunch, rather than supper, in restaurants - smaller portions, lower cost, and usually the same amount of take-home for another meal. One local Japanese restaurant even offers different bento boxes each weekday - miso soup, salad, 4-5 pcs tempura veggies, meat/fish & tea for $6.99 (!). We stop about 2pm after the w#rking class has clocked back in & things are more relaxed, enjoy lunch, and are back in the barn before rush hour.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:16 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Dont let Al kid you. Spoons are expensive.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:03 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

The French tend to eat late and they are doing OK by life expectancy stats: Image:Life Expectancy 2007 Estimates CIA World Factbook.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DW tends to want to eat very early since she has the kind of stomach that gets sicky if not fed on time -- or so she claims. It was hard to hold off until 7:30pm when we were in France. The claim is you can tell the Americans in France by who is eating in the restaurants at 6:30pm.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking