Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-18-2015, 12:47 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am more eager to move on from our current house of 20 years and it is DW and the 4 kids who are more attached. I see the acre lot and the 100 year old house as a bit more of a burden than they do. There is no way we need this room as the kids move on and as nice as it would be to have the continuity and the creek and great woodlot for the grandkids to run around in, it just doesn't make sense. Looking forward to a state of the art bungalow on a manageable size lot with lower taxes and utilities.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2015, 12:02 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

I live in one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, good old upstate NY. It is wide open and free of a lot of the horrible weather and urban/suburban people problems I read about in the news. The Adirondack Mts state preserve is less than 1 hour away. Lake Ontario (very ocean-like) is 1.5 hours away.
You know that I too, have an emotional connection to upstate and the Adirondaks... How many times have I "put in" at Old forge, for the ride to big Tupper, Raquette or Blue Mountain?
Would have been my choice area for retirement... came close to buying a business on Long Lake, until DW found out about the 65 mile trip to the hospital in Gloversville.
Truly a different part of the world. Wonderful country that was saved by the state government through the creation of the largest forest preserve in the United States. Article 14... the best part of the NY State Constitution.

Quote:
The Adirondack Park is a part of New York's Forest Preserve in Upstate New York, United States. The park is big, covering about 6.1 million acres (2.5106 ha), more than the National Parks of Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Glacier, and Great Smoky Mountains combined.[2] Within the park are more than 10,000 lakes, 30,000 miles of rivers and streams, and a wide variety of habitats including wetlands and old-growth forests.
A secret to most of America... well kept by the 150,000 year round residents.
Won't make it back there, but many, many happy memories that I now own.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:02 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
I'm somewhat emotionally attached to my house, but in a different way than most who have replied to this thread. My attachment comes not from memories, but from all the work we've done on the house over the years (remodeling, landscaping, etc). Since the vast majority of this was done with my own 2 hands, I would find it hard to walk away from it all. On the other hand, I don't feel much attachment to my community, and don't "need" to be here like I did when I was w*rking, so those things may someday more than offset my attachment to the house.
It's the same for me. I bought my house in 1997 and have done extensive renovations and upgrades entirely myself...gutted and redid kitchen, built double garage, replaced all flooring, doors, and windows, built a sunroom, 3 decks, and gutted and finished the basement. I've made it "mine" and have no desire to move. That being said, if a large amount of money fell out of the sky, it probably wouldn't bother me to move.

Last year I was driving with a friend and he pulled down a side street saying he had to stop at a friend's for a couple minutes...turns out that his friend lives in the house I grew up in. I moved out at 20, and my parents moved out when I was in my mid-30's. While it was interesting to see the house I grew up in, there was no emotional attachment.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:52 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
You know that I too, have an emotional connection to upstate and the Adirondaks... How many times have I "put in" at Old forge, for the ride to big Tupper, Raquette or Blue Mountain?
Would have been my choice area for retirement... came close to buying a business on Long Lake, until DW found out about the 65 mile trip to the hospital in Gloversville.
Truly a different part of the world. Wonderful country that was saved by the state government through the creation of the largest forest preserve in the United States. Article 14... the best part of the NY State Constitution.

A secret to most of America... well kept by the 150,000 year round residents.
Won't make it back there, but many, many happy memories that I now own.
It is truly magical in the Adirondacks. I always feel like I'm going back through time to a simpler way of life whenever I visit there. One of these days I'm going to rent a small lakefront cabin and disappear from civilization for a week. Mr B has no interest in doing that, so I will have to recruit a friend to join me.
I go to Old Forge quite often. Travel time 55 minutes on dry road.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:31 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
It is truly magical in the Adirondacks. ....One of these days I'm going to rent a small lakefront cabin and disappear from civilization for a week. Mr B has no interest in doing that, so I will have to recruit a friend to join me.
D

Pick me, pick me!
Emotional Connection to the your house?
Old 07-21-2015, 06:19 AM   #46

Emotional Connection to the your house?

A place is a place filled with old memories. It's often time to find a new place to fill with new memories. The old memories won't leave you. Live in the present for the future; don't be hung up on the past and forget to live now.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-21-2015, 06:22 AM   #47

Freebird

Pick a place you have to fly into aboard a pontoon plane. Surely you can explain it to Mr B in such a way that he'd rather be your companion than someone else *grin*.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I get emotionally connected to my houses. I'm single and don't have kids so it has nothing to do with memories of family although I do have pets. But I am a real homebody and have made upgrades to the two homes I've owned. Also my homes have been older houses with charm and character and in a nice older downtown neighborhood. And I spent years buying antique furniture and accessories piece by piece to complement the homes. I put a lot of time, money, and myself into establishing my sanctuary.

My previous home in the same neighborhood is now a rental and I feel a little bad every time I drive by it as if I deserted it and now the owners don't appreciate it enough to even live there. And it was a darling 80 year old bungalow! Maybe I should have stayed there and just added an extra bedroom and bath rather than moving to a larger home. My sister always buys brand new homes in subdivisions and has no problem moving on. Guess I'm just a different type of person, maybe a little too different
Old 07-21-2015, 12:57 PM   #49
Dryer sheet aficionado

Our house was not new when we bought it. (In fact 250 years old).
I have always viewed our ownership as just being stewards until we hand it over to another family. There has been many families that have grown up here and I hope there will be many more
Old 07-21-2015, 02:03 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I should add that as a child, my family moved about once a year. I went to eleven different public schools. That probably has some influence on my emotional attachment to homes and aversion to moving.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:01 PM   #51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo125 View Post
Our house was not new when we bought it. (In fact 250 years old).
I have always viewed our ownership as just being stewards until we hand it over to another family. There has been many families that have grown up here and I hope there will be many more
Same here, although ours is only 158 years old.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:30 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Re: The Adirondacks. Their proximity to NYC would have made them into a great summer tourist area, but the black flies, midges, and deer flies have made sure that people go elsewhere. I don't even know about the mosquitos there, but the other biting flying insects are bad enough.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:04 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Emotional connection? Yes, but not necessarily positive!

Like is said of boat owners, moving into my first house was one of the happiest days of my life. Well, now it's time to move on, and the day I unload the money pit will be one of the happiest days of my life.

To be fair, I had to live somewhere. It was a great place to live for 20 years, and cheaper and better than renting a comparable place in this area.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:39 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
My mother has been her home for 56 years now. I am the oldest of 4 children and I joined the military and moved away at the age of 18. Every single childhood and family memory I have is in that house. My siblings all have families of their own now and have moved into their own homes and are raising their kids. They all stayed local but I am 1200 miles away. We periodically have conversations about the old neighborhood and the house we all grew up in. None of them want anything to do with the house when my mom passes, but I still feel an emotional connection to that place and it's probably due to the fact that I have been gone for so long. The house is willed to the 4 of us and my sibs keep telling me you can buy it from us if you really want it when mom passes. After 56 years the house is worth a small fortune compared to the $9000 my parents paid for it in 1959. When I take into consideration how much it will cost me to buy my sibs out, my emotional attachment doesn't seem so overwhelming!

Mike

Mike, this is so similar to my situation too. My mom has lived in that same house for almost 50 years, my 5 siblings all live within 10 miles of it. At 18, I moved out, then moved about 1200 miles away. I love going back to visit and have so many good memories. But I can't afford buying out the house from my siblings and managing the upkeep, only to spend a few weeks a year in it.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:45 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgirl02 View Post
Mike, this is so similar to my situation too. My mom has lived in that same house for almost 50 years, my 5 siblings all live within 10 miles of it. At 18, I moved out, then moved about 1200 miles away. I love going back to visit and have so many good memories. But I can't afford buying out the house from my siblings and managing the upkeep, only to spend a few weeks a year in it.

I know what you mean. I'm afraid the house is going to get sold after my mother passes and that will be that. I have my children here near me and my first and only (so far) grandchild so I am happy. Good luck with your situation.

Mike
Old 07-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Freebird

Pick a place you have to fly into aboard a pontoon plane. Surely you can explain it to Mr B in such a way that he'd rather be your companion than someone else *grin*.
Now that would be something

Mr B has a fear of flying. He was an ATC (air traffic controller) in his previous life, in the military and then the FAA. It left a huge impression on him.

It's ok because I've flown all over the domestic US, to Hawaii twice, and across the Atlantic twice in my younger years. My travel oats are already sown.

I may change my mind, but I don't feel like flying these days either. I can afford to, but the urge hasn't hit me.

Never say never...