Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-13-2009, 07:20 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Or those of us who, like Zig, want to head north/west for the summer but cannot - "singed birds". After 22 days of 100 or higher temps so far this year, my goose is cooked.
The high was 82 today. Got a couple of good rains. A very nice break.

As far as moving to the south, I doubt you would enjoy the summer heat. I've lived here all my life and I don't. You could sell your home and just rent a place up north for a couple of months during the summer. That would get rid of the headache of owning two houses.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Since you have a house in Florida ,I'd spend August and September there . That should make the decision pretty easy .

Old 07-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you are from Canada you might have some issues with medicare by staying in Fla. for more than 6 months.
Is renting the northern property to one of the kids an option? or selling it to them?
Florida's heat and humidity can get unbearable during the summer,any chance of selling the house and getting something smaller for summer residence,small condo.?.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:00 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Snow boarding

I thought this was another thread about Dick Cheney...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:35 PM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
When you're working snow can be a pain, you have to get up early to shovel, take great care driving to avoid an accident, and then get to work on time. When you retire, you can just look out the window at the 'purty snow' until you want to go out. Shovel when you want or wait for it to melt. Someone here made me realize that in a thread a while back.

I lived in FL for 3 years (Lakeland specifically), I wouldn't go back there ever again, but that's only my POV and I realize I'm probably in a minority.
I feel the same way. My wife/me lived in "LA" (Lower Alabama, aka Ft. Walton Beach, FL) when I was in the AF. Neither of us could stand the heat/humidity, even though it was in the "northern" part of the state.

We returned to our place of birth, which is in the mid-atlantic states, and have the four distinct seasons (although they are starting to blend together).

Being retired, I'll agree with your statement about going out in the "weather", regardless if it is too hot, or too cold. Over the last few years, our snowfall has been minimal and since I'm retired I can just wait till the roads are passable. Of course, since I have AWD, I do go out for fun, after all the crazy commuters are at w*rk ....
Old 07-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlaker View Post
Do you think it would be wise for us to just become permanant Florida residents?
Yes, if you can stand the heat, humidity, and bugs during the summer. Why not try it for one full summer before deciding?

Sam
Old 07-16-2009, 02:22 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

this is something that DW and I are struggling with. We have the big house in Canada and a condo in Florida...not quite FIRE'd, but pondering.

Let me know if you are Canadian, and I can get you up to speed on implications for property tax, income tax, health care and so on.

Sounds to me that you are not attached to the old house, so why not sell it, and if being south in the worst of summer bothers you, rent a cottage up north, as someone else has suggested. This should be sufficient to renew at least your family ties.

DW wants to do 6/6 month split when we retire, but I am thinking MAYBE July up at the lake where we know some people and family. This particular July has been just awful with rain and even turning the heat on.

It seems August/September are key months to not be in florida if you are in a possible hurricane evacuation zone, the peak is the first week of September.

Another thing to consider is that the summer breezes are better on the east coast than the west coast of Florida, and southern Florida, especially near the coasts, is more temperate than northern Florida or Orlando which catches the hot fronts that build up in the continental interior.

The money you would save on maintaining 2 places and getting homestead tax status on the Florida property would pay for lots of trips back home or gifting flights to the kids, if you want visitors.

You also want to risk manage what DW would do it you suddenly passed. Would she go back north to have the kids nearby? Maybe having a furnished condo in place for her to come back to might be a good thing if money is not so much an issue.

Having spent my life with dull grey northern weather, I have found 95 degrees in the shade to be just fine when I am down there in the summer.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I can see prefering heat spells over cold, or vice versa, (even though most peole live in climate controlled spaces for most of the day). But whereas you shovel snow in cold weather, don't forget that in warm climates you will be mowing the lawn which grows really fast down here.

You can always hire someone to mow (or shovel snow). That is how I intend to deal with snow shoveling in the north, just as I deal with mowing down here.
are you sure you know what you are getting into regarding moving north?

which part of the country are you looking at?

do you have a retreat strategy?
Old 07-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
are you sure you know what you are getting into regarding moving north?
Yes, I think so, anyway! We have spent virtually all of our vacation time for the past four years in our planned ER location. We have intentionally arranged for half a dozen vacations in the dead of winter between November 20th and March 1st, plus a few other vacations scattered throughout the year. Plus, I have lived in that state before many years ago.

Have you spend much time in Florida in the summertime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran
which part of the country are you looking at?
Southern Missouri. What is north to me, is south to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran
do you have a retreat strategy?
An open mind, positive attitudes, and spirit of adventure?

I plan to rent for a while in Missouri, before buying a home, because I will need someplace to land while we are looking at real estate (and I think it would be, well, stupid for me to own two houses in two states. Not saying that is true for others, but for me.).

My companion Frank and I will be buying homes as close as possible to one another, certainly within walking distance. I plan to have a well stocked, large pantry in mine. Frank plans to install a whole-house generator in his, and if that turns out to be helpful during ice storms, then maybe I would think about that too.

Also, we are looking at neighborhoods with grocery and other stores within walking distance.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:09 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

When you think of people with a second home, you don't usually think of people in Florida having a vacation home in a cold weather state. I wonder how many people in Florida vacation in the north during the summer other than to visit family.

IMHO, more people look forward to escaping the cold climes in the winter (and by cold I mean killer cold, frozen precipitation, fewer daytime hours, less sunshine during those hours from November 1 through April 30--can you tell I just love winter in Illinois; it takes until June 15 for my shoulders to relax from hunching up around my ears during the cold weather months) than need to escape hot and humid summers in the south. Winter can really wear you down and unfortunately it comes every ^&%$#@ year.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
When you think of people with a second home, you don't usually think of people in Florida having a vacation home in a cold weather state. I wonder how many people in Florida vacation in the north during the summer other than to visit family.
My brother lived in south Florida for about five years, and his gated golf community was almost entirely emptied out during the summer. Most of his neighbors (I would be tempted to guess about 80%) were retired or independently wealthy "snowbirds". They owned homes both in the northeast and in Florida, and spent half the year in each.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Besides the snowbirds a lot of Floridians escape to the North for a month or so in the summer . I did that a few times but the areas were crowded and Florida was finally peaceful . We do vacation in August and Late Sept by that point I've had enough of the heat and the humidity .It is like March up North . You are sick of the snow and need to see sunshine . Well we get sick of the heat and need to see cooler weather .Plus I miss fall foliage so I visit it .
Old 07-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
We have spent virtually all of our vacation time for the past four years in our planned ER location. We have intentionally arranged for half a dozen vacations in the dead of winter between November 20th and March 1st, plus a few other vacations scattered throughout the year. Plus, I have lived in that state before many years ago.

Have you spend much time in Florida in the summertime?.
ok, sounds like you know what you are doing. I just wish you would rent before spending a full annual cycle. I wonder if what you are really going for is getting away from the stress of New Orleans, and if you might not find somewhere with a decent four season climate AND serenity...but now you have memories and roots in the new area, so I get it. You have probably had your fill of summer weather.

separate residences, ...what's up with that? My initial reaction is that you are wasting your husband hunting years on this guy?

having spent my whole life in Minnesota type weather, I have air conditioning stored up in my bones. What I liked about summer visits to the condo was that we could spend the day doing stuff, and it was still warm enough to take martinis into the pool after supper and get wrinkly complaining about the government to the neighbours, my favorite thing.

that being said, if we were to move homebase to Florida instead of birding, we have lots of options to come north for a few months or visit the brother in law in Italy in the dog days if we need to.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:56 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

IMHO, more people look forward to escaping the cold climes in the winter (and by cold I mean killer cold, frozen precipitation, fewer daytime hours, less sunshine during those hours from November 1 through April 30--can you tell I just love winter in Illinois; it takes until June 15 for my shoulders to relax from hunching up around my ears during the cold weather months) than need to escape hot and humid summers in the south. Winter can really wear you down and unfortunately it comes every ^&%$#@ year.
early fall last year I ran into a couple, business owners with money, who had principle residence on Marco Island, and a summer cottage in Wisconsin.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I plan to rent for a while in Missouri,.
so in Missouri I am guessing you will only get the occasional sprinking of snow that sticks?

that might be not so bad

edit

I looked at the weather chart and I see that even in the coldest month, January, you might get a high of 35-40 half the time, and a handful of days, I am guessing one week a year, where you might get some snow on the ground for a few days...which sounds just about right.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
so in Missouri I am guessing you will only get the occasional sprinking of snow that sticks?

that might be not so bad

edit

I looked at the weather chart and I see that even in the coldest month, January, you might get a high of 35-40 half the time, and a handful of days, I am guessing one week a year, where you might get some snow on the ground for a few days...which sounds just about right.
Maybe a little more than that, but it's really not too cold up there by Minnesota standards. I eliminated Minnesota, the Dakotas, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Montana despite their beauty because of the extreme cold.

- - H. Melville, 1851

Tags
florida, snowbird