End snowbirding?

wlaker

Confused about dryer sheets
We purchased a place in FL 4 years ago -- 1st year spent 3 months, 2nd 4 months, 3rd 6 months, and last year 7 months. Our home up North is about 60 years old and we're concerned about leaving it empty in the winter months. We winterize the place before leaving and thus far, no problems. However, we are surrounded by very large trees and worry when there is an ice storm. Kids do not check on place very often, but promised they would. Don't have many social networks here now because of us leaving them in the winter. Do you think it would be wise for us to just become permanant Florida residents?:nonono:

(I guess each of us would answer this question differently, but really what matters is what you think, not us.)

Some might consider snowbirding to be the ultimate in indecision. I can't possibly imagine why someone would want the worry and hassle of keeping up two single family homes in two different states. One is bad enough! :LOL:

Now two condos would be easier, I admit, but then that's an awful lot of money just to have the desired outdoor temperature when everything (house, shops, even your car) is climate controlled these days.

wlaker, have you actually spent much time in Florida during the summer? If not, you might want to spend some time there in July and August before making your decision.

That's a decision only you can make. Maybe you sell your home and rent an apartment up North, that takes away some of the worry factor.

Jim

Could you get a Grad student tenant for the school year? What about having a chat with the postman or a neighbor in return for a small stipend to keep an eye on it and notify you should there be an issue? At some point you will want only one property to maintain, the question would be is that now with the depressed real estate prices or a year or two down the road.

Maybe you can keep an eye on the weather there via the local paper online or weather.com, and after a storm remind your kids to check on it soon.

Depending on how your local police force is, you might even be able to tell them you're gone and leave them contact info so they can call you or the kids if they notice a problem.

How about splitting the difference and trying Western NC or North GA?
Summer is more tolerable and there is just a little winter.

Or those of us who, like Zig, want to head north/west for the summer but cannot - "singed birds". After 22 days of 100 or higher temps so far this year, my goose is cooked.

We purchased a place in FL 4 years ago -- 1st year spent 3 months, 2nd 4 months, 3rd 6 months, and last year 7 months. Our home up North is about 60 years old and we're concerned about leaving it empty in the winter months. We winterize the place before leaving and thus far, no problems. However, we are surrounded by very large trees and worry when there is an ice storm. Kids do not check on place very often, but promised they would. Don't have many social networks here now because of us leaving them in the winter. Do you think it would be wise for us to just become permanant Florida residents?:nonono:

How close are you to the kids? Do you have the means to fly back and forth several times a year to visit? Everyone has a different opinion about weather. I would take a FL summer over a northern winter so i'd say stay down in FL year-round but fly up a couple times in the spring and summer to visit family.

I'm a dyed in the wool Northern gal, who lives here all year 'round. I used to enjoy the snow, then hated it due to the commuting. Once I FIREd, I've settled on tolerating it. :whistle:
I find that I am going out into cold weather less and less because I don't have to. :D
Long range plan is to relocate to warmer climes completely, for the very reason you give - worrying about the house unoccupied in the winter.
I look at it this way - if I'm going to be housebound due to weather extremes, I'd prefer heat spells over bitter cold and shoveling snow, any day, no contest.
I spent a year in Orlando FL one summer (j/k), and I know what high humid heat is about. I've been in Scottsdale AZ in July. Short of a massive power outtage, you can always find A/C.
The decision is yours of course, and it all depends on how much you can afford to continue maintaining 2 homes. It's about more than money if worrying about the northern home is increasing your stress.

I look at it this way - if I'm going to be housebound due to weather extremes, I'd prefer heat spells over bitter cold and shoveling snow, any day, no contest.

I can see prefering heat spells over cold, or vice versa, (even though most peole live in climate controlled spaces for most of the day). But whereas you shovel snow in cold weather, don't forget that in warm climates you will be mowing the lawn which grows really fast down here.

You can always hire someone to mow (or shovel snow). That is how I intend to deal with snow shoveling in the north, just as I deal with mowing down here.

You can always hire someone to mow (or shovel snow). That is how I intend to deal with snow shoveling in the north, just as I deal with mowing down here.
My neighbor has offered to use his riding mower on our half acre for $15 per mow. Seems like a bargain except (a) I'm a little paranoid about liability issues and (b) there's nothing green here to mow. There was in May after we had good rains in March and April, but not any more.

Are you going to hire someone to drive you to the store after 6 inches of snow or 1/2 inch of ice?;)
The reason I think extreme winter is worse than extreme summer is more because of road conditions than temperature.

Are you going to hire someone to drive you to the store after 6 inches of snow or 1/2 inch of ice?;)
The reason I think extreme winter is worse than extreme summer is more because of road conditions than temperature.
When you're working snow can be a pain, you have to get up early to shovel, take great care driving to avoid an accident, and then get to work on time. When you retire, you can just look out the window at the 'purty snow' until you want to go out. Shovel when you want or wait for it to melt. Someone here made me realize that in a thread a while back.

I lived in FL for 3 years (Lakeland specifically), I wouldn't go back there ever again, but that's only my POV and I realize I'm probably in a minority.

And like everyone said, only the OP can know what to do for him/herself. I wouldn't want to own/maintain two properties - that's money that I could put towards improving my quality of (retirement) life or FI security.

...Shovel when you want or wait for it to melt.
Um...the melting part never happens at my latitude. :(

This message was brought to you by the NYS Dept of Tourism. ;)

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    980.8 KB · Views: 3
When you retire, you can just look out the window at the 'purty snow' until you want to go out. Shovel when you want or wait for it to melt.

If you wait to go outside until the snow melts then you'll be inside from Thanksgiving until April if you live north of Chicago. Also, around here, if you don't shovel/plow your sidewalk by noon the day after a storm then the city does it and charges you excessively high fees. Also, if you don't plow around your mailbox then you don't get your mail. The mail carrier does not have to deliver your mail if they can't reach your mailbox while in their vehicle.
That said, I agree that in retirement, living in the snow belt wouldn't be nearly as bad without the mandatory daily commute. Shoveling isn't a big deal I just hate driving on the highway in a snow storm.

Or those of us who, like Zig, want to head north/west for the summer but cannot - "singed birds". After 22 days of 100 or higher temps so far this year, my goose is cooked.

The high was 82 today. Got a couple of good rains. A very nice break.:)

As far as moving to the south, I doubt you would enjoy the summer heat. I've lived here all my life and I don't. You could sell your home and just rent a place up north for a couple of months during the summer. That would get rid of the headache of owning two houses.

Since you have a house in Florida ,I'd spend August and September there . That should make the decision pretty easy .

If you are from Canada you might have some issues with medicare by staying in Fla. for more than 6 months.
Is renting the northern property to one of the kids an option? or selling it to them?
Florida's heat and humidity can get unbearable during the summer,any chance of selling the house and getting something smaller for summer residence,small condo.?.

When you're working snow can be a pain, you have to get up early to shovel, take great care driving to avoid an accident, and then get to work on time. When you retire, you can just look out the window at the 'purty snow' until you want to go out. Shovel when you want or wait for it to melt. Someone here made me realize that in a thread a while back.

I lived in FL for 3 years (Lakeland specifically), I wouldn't go back there ever again, but that's only my POV and I realize I'm probably in a minority.

I feel the same way. My wife/me lived in "LA" (Lower Alabama, aka Ft. Walton Beach, FL) when I was in the AF. Neither of us could stand the heat/humidity, even though it was in the "northern" part of the state.

We returned to our place of birth, which is in the mid-atlantic states, and have the four distinct seasons (although they are starting to blend together).

Being retired, I'll agree with your statement about going out in the "weather", regardless if it is too hot, or too cold. Over the last few years, our snowfall has been minimal and since I'm retired I can just wait till the roads are passable. Of course, since I have AWD, I do go out for fun, after all the crazy commuters are at w*rk :angel: ....

Back
Top Bottom